Making Monkeys (puzzle platformer)

GregAnims

Over the last 2 months i've been working on a puzzle platformer, similar in concept to my previous game Use Boxmen. You play as a monkey who discovers a clone-gun and you help/hinder each other to reach the coffee in each level. I returned to the concept because i find it really interesting, i love in ICO where you co-operate with the girl, and i love in Abes Odyssey you work alongside your buddies (or just fart on them).

The game has helped me become more familiar with stencyl, and after this project i want to either develop a polished iOS title or a more fleshed out action-shooter. You can follow more of my work at:
http://greg-anims.com (soon to be a fresh website/company)

And im happy to try and answer any questions anyone has, from what ive learned on this game :) cheers!

coleislazy

Looks great! I can't wait to play it!

GregAnims

Cheers! Im considering using your "exploding actor" resource for when the monkeys get shot :)

Joe

I agree with Cole. This looks and sounds fantastic. Looking forward to playing it!

coleislazy

Cheers! Im considering using your "exploding actor" resource for when the monkeys get shot :)

Neat-o! Let me know if you need any help with it, or if I can tweak it in any way to fit your game better!

GregAnims

Game is more or less finished, features 14 unique puzzles and a russian hiphop soundtrack  8)

After finishing up the sound, it has to go through the sponsorship grind, and will be released after that (probably a month). Next game from me will probably be more action focused like a 2D DOOM, or something like cannon fodder.

coleislazy

Cool! Can't wait to play it!

airman4

i just want to ask something greg
selling the game on a site like desura is not better ?

why people here always want to go through sponshor ship ?

It's the best way ?

GregAnims

Sponsorship allows my game to reach millions of players, is a fairly stable way to monetize (which im also familiar with) and lets me make faster projects in a couple of months. I would like to make a game for retail at some point though, as if your game is good enough you can make far more money, and a much better community around the game.

airman4

I see !
thanks for explications and good luck!

with that concept , should work.

Akiak

You made Use Box Men? I loved that game! Did you make it with Stencyl too?

Looking forward to your next work.

GregAnims

Thanks, all my games before Monkeys have been made from scratch in Flash, using Actionscript 2. Monkeys is my first stencyl title; i'm working on something more complex now i've learnt the basics of the engine.

GregAnims

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 07:28:44 am by Greg-Anims »

omey

I love the watercolour art style backgrounds .Similarly in the menu.Good polish.Love it

airman4

Nice game

i'm blocked at when you have to make a bridge to push the key and get the coffey in the right corner of the screen
hard to make it work

i did 9 levels so far

edit
sorry to sound noob but how did you made your site as well, very nice , and how many do you paid per year for hosting this site ? if i may ask

« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 03:21:01 am by airman4 »