Making Monkeys (puzzle platformer)

GregAnims

Thanks, the site is hosted with hostmonster.org, about £40 a year, domain costs £11 or something i dont remember.. scroll to the bottom of my website you'll see "powered by dynamix".

Dynamix is a pre paid-theme for wordpress, so the site isnt really made by me :) Very fast for uploading content which is what i want really.

thechaosengine

Hey Greg, I just wanted to say congrats on the game and on getting Armor Games to pick it up :)

Also, I followed your devlog on TIGs for Bat Country and I saw Making Monkeys on FGL a while ago so thanks for making me feel all weird like I'm stalking you or something.

airman4

Thanks, the site is hosted with hostmonster.org, about £40 a year, domain costs £11 or something i dont remember.. scroll to the bottom of my website you'll see "powered by dynamix".

Dynamix is a pre paid-theme for wordpress, so the site isnt really made by me :) Very fast for uploading content which is what i want really.

oh wow
okay
thanks very much for the informations !
wish the best with armor games

GregAnims

Hey Greg, I just wanted to say congrats on the game and on getting Armor Games to pick it up :)

Also, I followed your devlog on TIGs for Bat Country and I saw Making Monkeys on FGL a while ago so thanks for making me feel all weird like I'm stalking you or something.

Thats actually cool to know someone follows my work :), besides that's nothing, i think ive seen every video and talk by Edmund or Jonathon Blow ever.

KungFuFurby

Beat the game today. ^_^ The cloud one took some thought before I could invent a method for beating the level, so that was a nice challenge.
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games

Hectate

Oh, and I forgot to say that I loved the music.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

GregAnims

Just uploaded to stencyl.com here: http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/10632

Post Release Update

Sponsorship went great, i don't release numbers but the amount i got for primary sponsorship was the most i have ever received for a game. Right now the game is almost at a million plays, being hosted by around 400 websites (mochi ads analytics). The critical reception is a bit underwhelming to what i was expecting, armor games score is 6/10, NG is 3.50/5, and Kongregate score is 3.5/5. I figured it might get a similar reception to Use Boxmen (my previous game) however i think that it either isnt as good as that (probably the case), or maybe because Boxmen was released 3 years ago and the quality bar for flash games has been raised - judging from some of the top flash games right now, i think people expect more depth and longevity now as well.

Overall i enjoyed making it, with very few problems, i learnt a lot about stencyl and how to speed up workflow in my future games. I also learnt a bit about peoples expectations of a flash game right now, but im just gonna make whatever i like anyway and maybe people will respond to it. In future i want to make something more emotional and artistic, rather than mechanical, but im not sure how to do that in games, i think my next game will be something incredibly simple and basic but that hopefully has atmosphere and feeling to it.

GLaDOS V3

It's a very goood game.

Jon

Just uploaded to stencyl.com here: http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/10632

Post Release Update

Sponsorship went great, i don't release numbers but the amount i got for primary sponsorship was the most i have ever received for a game. Right now the game is almost at a million plays, being hosted by around 400 websites (mochi ads analytics). The critical reception is a bit underwhelming to what i was expecting, armor games score is 6/10, NG is 3.50/5, and Kongregate score is 3.5/5. I figured it might get a similar reception to Use Boxmen (my previous game) however i think that it either isnt as good as that (probably the case), or maybe because Boxmen was released 3 years ago and the quality bar for flash games has been raised - judging from some of the top flash games right now, i think people expect more depth and longevity now as well.

Overall i enjoyed making it, with very few problems, i learnt a lot about stencyl and how to speed up workflow in my future games. I also learnt a bit about peoples expectations of a flash game right now, but im just gonna make whatever i like anyway and maybe people will respond to it. In future i want to make something more emotional and artistic, rather than mechanical, but im not sure how to do that in games, i think my next game will be something incredibly simple and basic but that hopefully has atmosphere and feeling to it.

Thanks for the writeup! 1 million plays is pretty awesome. I'll see if I can get it on the FP of Newgrounds.

Ratings-wise, I think what hurt the most was the length of the game. The mechanic was solid and pretty unique, but the game ended a bit too soon.

Looking forward to your next game!

p.s. It's fascinating that your Kong and Newgrounds ratings are identical - 3.58 as of this post. The AG rating isn't far off at 6.9, probably because the avg game there is better - it's interesting how consistent it is across sites overall.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 02:00:08 am by Jon »

Jon

I like working my magic. It's now on the Newgrounds front page. :)

airman4

very nice dude
congrats so much!!

rlc2405

Jon = Always cooking up something good. :)

GregAnims

shuuuushhh, lets pretend the game got there by itself  ;) cheers man

123KirbyKid

I tried your game and finished it. 

IT WAS AWESOME!!!    :D :D :D

Kirby Kid
Don't be a noob-- Be EPIC!

<ahref = "http//:invisiblebread.com"> Cool comics, right here! </ahref>