Game crashes on boot? Then eventually works.

gb346

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gravitygames.donttouchthelines&hl=en

My game runs fine and all, but when you close and go to re-open to play again, it will crash 1, 2 or 3 times before it opens up properly, what could the cause for this possibly be?

This has unfortunately caused me quite a few uninstalls

sdieters

*Subscribed*
I want to know what causes this as well!
My new profile is TheIndieStation.
When you see a recent post with this name, i'm probably using my phone. So dont mind any typo's =p

lilpoboy1978

I'd like to know the answer too.  Just tried your game and had a few crashes right off the bat.  Happens to me too when testing my games

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 04:35:50 am by lilpoboy1978 »

gb346

sdieters without the answer?! The end is near

sdieters

For some reason, reading that made me smile a bit =)
When you see a recent post with this name, i'm probably using my phone. So dont mind any typo's =p

gb346

I'd like to know the answer too.  Just tried your game and had a few crashes right off the bat.  Happens to me too when testing my games

And unfortunately due to this, (which i'm also guilty of) most people just give up on it straight away and give it the instant uninstall, thinking it just doesn't work on their phone anymore

sdieters

Perhaps we should create a thread for "beta" testing among Stencyl users with android/apple devices where they have to leave feedback =) This way you are sure it's a stable version of your game before you drop it into the market.

Let me create a well explained topic, and perhaps when I talked to a moderator we could make this an official page =)

lilpoboy1978

Perhaps we should create a thread for "beta" testing among Stencyl users with android/apple devices where they have to leave feedback =) This way you are sure it's a stable version of your game before you drop it into the market.

Let me create a well explained topic, and perhaps when I talked to a moderator we could make this an official page =)

Good idea, but don't you think it is some bug in stencyl.  I see this problem come up quite often

sdieters

Not sure. But we will find out soon enough hehe

rob1221

This seems likely to be a Stencyl (or OpenFL) problem.  Cabinfever was trying to find the cause in another thread, but I don't know if he's looking in the right direction or not.  http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,37753.0.html

Jon

I'm also unsure if it's the right direction, but it's an intriguing lead that I'm following up on.

Derelikt

I noticed something, I'm probably way off, but mentioning it just in case. I have 2 games I've been testing on Android (Nexus 5), one is in portrait orientation, the other is in landscape. The portrait one works perfectly every time (no black screens/crashes), but the landscape will crash at least 3~5 times before working properly.

Jon

Does the game have ads in it?

gb346

Does the game have ads in it?

Good find.  Games with admob ads implemented seem to have the crashing on re-open problem. The current game i am working on without admob ads implemented yet re opens flawlessly every try.