A list of ideas

Stevetheipad

I've been using Stencyl for quite a while and have always quietly hated certain aspects of the program or lack of certain features. These things may be already planned, but they are ideas in case they haven't been added to your list.

Open multiple assets at once - meaning rather than opening each actor/scene/behavior up at once and waiting for it to load to open another or trying to quickly click on a bunch, you could open many possibly by clicking and dragging a box to select the assets to open (similar to how it is on Windows and Mac desktops).

Setting to save where you are - Meaning next time you open your game, if this setting is enabled, all the actors/scenes/behaviors you had open would be opened and set to the tab they were on when you saved last.

Less limits with names - Right now you can't use "special characters" in names of things like actors or behaviors. This may seem insignificant but it's bothersome and there isn't a clear reason as to why this exists.

Scene designer upgrades - There are some long overdue additions to the scene designer that should be considered. For example, copying/pasting actors.

UI redesign - This one is pretty important and big. The whole design of Stencyl needs a complete overhaul. This is important because 1) People have more respect and enjoy more a current and well thought-out design and 2) It's easier to get things done when it's easier to get your way around and use a program. This design change would include new colors, modern icons, rethought button placement, updated typography, animations and a much more intuitive dashboard. I personally, would like to see more of a light design rather than the current shades of grey one. The biggest aspect of this is it'd attract more users to Stencyl in the first place.

Attach behavior to multiple actors at once - When you have lots of actors to attach to, this can be a big annoyance.

I will add to this list as I come up with further ideas. It's worth noting I love Stencyl but just want to see it further improved, as I'm sure you do too.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 11:39:34 am by Stevetheipad »

rrzl

UI redesign

Please don't. Instead, make it as an option, where you can switch between the new UI / classic UI.
It will be very frustrating to people who already familiar and comfortable using the current UI. A sudden change to it, will anger a lot of users. Great for new users, not so much for current users.

There's a few softwares that I have used for a long time, for work. Couple of years back, they decided to update and totally changed the Ui. To make things even worst, they even re-name and re-arrange the placement of them. Guess what, you can't switch back to the old Ui. A project that usually only took me a couple of days has become a week to complete.
Its like a slap in the face, "use it or GTFO". What a nightmare.

Stevetheipad

Don't be  too fast to judge the idea. A UI redesign doesn't mean it can't reference or even piggy-back on traditional Stencyl designs. For example, new icons, colors and typography only brightens up the UI and makes it more attractive and easy to look at but not necessarily harder to use.

However, in some cases changes will need to be made. That's a bit unfortunate but it's nothing people won't be able to handle and it's good for you in the long run.

I wouldn't be opposed to an option to go back to the classical design though.

Innes

Setting to save where you are - Meaning next time you open your game, if this setting is enabled, all the actors/scenes/behaviors you had open would be opened and set to the tab they were on when you saved last.

I like this idea; in theory, it shouldn't be difficult to implement.
Visit www.TheStencylBook.com - the only published book for learning Stencyl.

LIBERADO

I personally, would like to see more of a light design rather than the current shades of grey one. The biggest aspect of this is it'd attract more users to Stencyl in the first place.
The first time I installed and opened Stencyl, I immediately searched in "Preferences..." an option to customize the colors of the UI, but I did not find it.
I'm spanish, excuse me for my bad English.
I'm not a private teacher. Please, post your questions in the public forum.

Innes

Note that you can now specify the colour of the tabs; I find this very helpful.
Visit www.TheStencylBook.com - the only published book for learning Stencyl.

Stevetheipad

Update
Attach behavior to multiple actors at once - When you have lots of actors to attach to, this can be a big annoyance.

yoplalala

Less limits with names - Right now you can't use "special characters" in names of things like actors or behaviors. This may seem insignificant but it's bothersome and there isn't a clear reason as to why this exists.

+1. specially for the limits with names. I trying to do a game to learn vocab ( not in English) and it's quité bothersome not to be able to se characters like éà etc.

For the Attach behavior to multiple actors at once   when you open the window to attach behaviours it would also be great if you can to which actors the behaviour is already attached.

dripple

Have you seen my sticky here: http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,28972.0.html

There's a lot of input, especially on the UI. If we could make your suggestions more detailed, it's more likely that single items get realized between releases.
Sure, my games won't get better with all the new features of Stencyl.
But I do have more fun creating bad ones.

MayazCastle Keeper