[Updated] Brave Ball (completed game here)

smigy

I'm working on a big update to make the game a lot more awesome, it's gonna take some time but I'm pretty sure it's worth it. I won't fix the actual bugs because I decided to start the game from the ground again to make a cleaner code and avoid too much lags
Finally I was able to release an advanced version of the game; only some secondary stuff is still left to do but all the gameplay part is done
The game is complete now, I just posted it on fgl and I will contact some sponsors on the next few days

The world of balls lived on peace for a long time, but the bad blue squares decided to invade this peaceful world.

You're the red ball and you are really brave, save your little green balls friends and fight endless evil blue squares. Each time you save a green ball, a new enemy appear to hunt you down.

Test the game and play the prototype here: http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/29704
Here is the link for the final game http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/29743

What is missing and needs work:
  • Sounds, both music and sound effect are still missing for the moment
  • Shop is still totally missing, I should start working on it soon
  • Achievement are not here yet too, I don't have much ideas on how to implement them. But I want achievement so that players could get score booster by completing them
  • Some kind of online high score plateform, so that players could compete on getting the best score.
  • Score placement and fonts, this shouldn't even be considered a bug but seriously it takes so much time to get the position of writing right with stencyl.

Known Bugs:
  • The enemies start rotating if they spawn near the edge. Solved
  • Sometimes the blue square span in top of the player which cause an instant death. Solution is to make the enemies not lethal for few sec (still implementing). Solved, check update.
  • If you collect the green balls too fast, the next doesn't spawn. I have no idea why this is happening so help is appreciated.Solved

Please note that this is my first game and I just started using stencyl, any kind of suggestion or advice is really welcome. Thanks for your participation and I'll try to keep this as updated as possible.

Updates:
A brand new version of the game released.[/s]

I'd really to love any recommendation on general, and especially related to sponsor. And I would like to think this awesome community, without you guys the game would've never made it farther than that prototype for sure  :D

Game is on fgl now, current bid is: 90 dollars

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 04:43:12 am by smigy »

WayneAdams

Thats a good concept. I dig it. Deceptively challenging.

Photon

One thing you should consider doing is making it so the squares can't spawn right on top of you or at the very least aren't immediately lethal. That happened more than once to me.

Otherwise, pretty good.
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

rrzl

This is actually pretty good. I can see a lot of potential in it.

I only managed to get 14 at most, anything more than that is impossible for me.
There's one time when I play the game as fast as I can, the green ball doesn't re-spawn, no way to proceed,
I had to kill myself. (a bug?)

Maybe you can add a power-up where you can destroy the squares, with a limited time?
so people can clear the room and actually progress before the whole room are full with the squares.
or a power-up bomb to clear the whole room at one go.  a power-up shield where the squares just bounce back when in contact?

You might want to consider putting the score on top of the screen rather than in the middle, its actually pretty distracting.
If its me, I wouldn't put too much things in the game ,  it'll be too messy and take away the charm it currently have.
A minimalist and simple, works perfectly with this kind of concept, but thats of course, just my opinion.

Kinda reminds me of the games from the arcade/Nes days like Pacman, and Snake on the Nokia phone. Simple yet addictive.
I spent a lot of time playing those games back then.

Keep it up!  :)

ohlin

Nice game! The spawning issue is true, I also got killed instantly a few times after saving a green dot.
On one game the green dots didn't spawn after 8 points, and one time after 10, you should check on that.
Also set the enemy actors to not rotate, one enemy spawned next to a wall and started rotating since it was colliding with the wall.

My highscore is 10.

smigy

Thats a good concept. I dig it. Deceptively challenging.
Thanks for the kind world, it really motivate me to work on the project.
One thing you should consider doing is making it so the squares can't spawn right on top of you or at the very least aren't immediately lethal. That happened more than once to me.

Otherwise, pretty good.
I was facing this problem before and I couldn't make them avoid your position on spawning, but making them lethal after 1 or 2 sec seem like an awesome idea so thanks for the suggestion  :D
This is actually pretty good. I can see a lot of potential in it.

I only managed to get 14 at most, anything more than that is impossible for me.
There's one time when I play the game as fast as I can, the green ball doesn't re-spawn, no way to proceed,
I had to kill myself. (a bug?)

Maybe you can add a power-up where you can destroy the squares, with a limited time?
so people can clear the room and actually progress before the whole room are full with the squares.
or a power-up bomb to clear the whole room at one go.  a power-up shield where the squares just bounce back when in contact?

You might want to consider putting the score on top of the screen rather than in the middle, its actually pretty distracting.
If its me, I wouldn't put too much things in the game ,  it'll be too messy and take away the charm it currently have.
A minimalist and simple, works perfectly with this kind of concept, but thats of course, just my opinion.

Kinda reminds me of the games from the arcade/Nes days like Pacman, and Snake on the Nokia phone. Simple yet addictive.
I spent a lot of time playing those games back then.

Keep it up!  :)
  • I know about the bug where you take the green balls too fast and the next one doesn't re-spawn, no idea how to solve it tough
  • I'm going to add some power ups to get ride of the squares later on, would definitely keep your propositions on mind
  • The score will be put on top of the screen once the HUD is done, I'm even thinking some high score platform like the one provided by mochi
  • Those classic nes games are my inspiration and I hope I can live up to them with the brave ball

smigy

Nice game! The spawning issue is true, I also got killed instantly a few times after saving a green dot.
On one game the green dots didn't spawn after 8 points, and one time after 10, you should check on that.
Also set the enemy actors to not rotate, one enemy spawned next to a wall and started rotating since it was colliding with the wall.

My highscore is 10.
Thanks for your feedback, most of those bugs were solved so give the game another shot and let me know what think this time.

ohlin

The score doesn't reset when you die now.

The game lags more now when the blue squares are created. How are you handling the squares' bouncing? I suspect that the calculation of their collisions might affect your game, perhaps set them to sensors, and calculate their allowed area for movement with x/y-coordinates. This is just an idea, and it might not have any effect on your game, but I have a feeling this MIGHT be an issue.

Try to center the texts for a more symmetrical look.

Maybe add a countdown timer when you're invincible, or maybe a bar of some sort to avoid killing yourself.

smigy

The score doesn't reset when you die now.
The game lags more now when the blue squares are created. How are you handling the squares' bouncing? I suspect that the calculation of their collisions might affect your game, perhaps set them to sensors, and calculate their allowed area for movement with x/y-coordinates. This is just an idea, and it might not have any effect on your game, but I have a feeling this MIGHT be an issue.
I just noticed the score problem,  I started using a game attribute and forgot to make it reset everytime the player die. For the lag problem indeed I am using collisions with the tiles and yeah it's a bit laggy but I don't know about the sensors, will do a quick research right now.

Thanks a lot for your help, it's much appreciated and really helpful.

Donni11

Cool game   ;)
My high score is 16  :) .
Peace

smigy

Cool game   ;)
My high score is 16  :) .
Glad you liked it, seem that we have a new high score around here so congrats

Like it :)
Thanks for the kind words, I tried space pirate and it's really awesome.

By the way I'm working on a big update to make the game a lot more awesome, it's gonna take some time but I'm pretty sure it's worth it. I won't fix the actual bugs because I decided to start the game from the ground again to make a cleaner code and avoid too much lags

hdesign

nice concept, try to change color combinations,

smigy

nice concept, try to change color combinations,
Thanks for the tip, I will follow it.
I'm fully working on the game & i think i'll release a pretty advanced version tomorrow. I tried to do it today but seriously I have to go sleep right now. Anyway keep all your awesome suggestions coming and thx for the support everybody :D

smigy

The updated version of the game is posted; feel free to try it and dont share what you think with us