Recommended books for learning more scripting/coding?

Tebbo

I know Stencyl uses Haxe which itself as far as I understand is based on AS 3.

So for someone who really enjoys building things entirely from scratch in stencyl and has a little scripting experience  (old school web development with xhtml and css only), where would I go next to go further into the nuts and bolts and maybe move to writing stuff and not just using blocks.

I used Innes' book to get me going months ago and it was a huge help in understanding the program itself but I'm looking to understand the script/code that stencyl is writing in so I have more control over my projects.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

ceosol

There is a view stencyl api link http://www.stencyl.com/developers/api/

There's also haxe links around if you search google. haxe.org and old.haxe.org should have information on any of the classes/imports that you might need.

Tebbo

There is a view stencyl api link http://www.stencyl.com/developers/api/

There's also haxe links around if you search google. haxe.org and old.haxe.org should have information on any of the classes/imports that you might need.

Thanks for the link. I'm at the stage where I can't really utilize that info yet, but I should have probably clarified that.

I'm looking for more like books so I can self teach what i'd need to know to utilize the info you linked there. Maybe that makes more sense? I have some books wish listed but wondered if anyone had any personal experience before I jump in and find out i'm on a path which won't do me much good. I haven't seen a lot for Haxe, especially not game oriented and I'm guessing because it's an easy jump probably for people who know AS 3? So should I be looking for books on learning AS 3 and then using more web resources for the additional bits of Haxe?

Alexin

I would browse and tinker with a game made with HaxeFlixel.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Hectate

Note: you probably don't want to be using "old.haxe.org" because - as the sub-domain implies - it's the repository for old information. Here's the entry-point for the current, up-to-date documentation: http://haxe.org/documentation/introduction/

From personal experience I can say that yes, AS3 is very similar to Haxe and if you don't mind having to have a flexible mind there's a lot you can do from following AS3 tutorials. I started with learning Flixel (an AS3 library) prior to moving to Stencyl (which used Flixel at the time) and have since been learning Haxe because we switched to it.

Edit: HaxeFlixel could be good too, yes. I've not used it but it can't be bad. :)
In fact, most (all?) of the AS3 code you see out there will work directly in Haxe (using the OpenFL stuff) if I'm not mistaken; there's just some syntax changes from time to time.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

ceosol

I'm looking for more like books so I can self teach what i'd need to know to utilize the info you linked there.

I totally get what you are saying. I, on the other hand, am not a computer person, so I usually have no idea what people are writing in computer books. I self teach by trial and error. I keep throwing different combinations of code together until I get a result :)

Tebbo

Yeah I started way back when with html just copy pasting and taking apart sites (long time ago now).
So I definitely understand that style of learning.

I just wanted to be sure I was understanding what Stencyl uses exactly and then how to go about approaching that. I'll need to start digging into AS3 then. At some point working with just AS3, the parts where Haxe differs should make sense and be, hopefully, relatively easy to incorporate (since I don't have years of habits to break or anything).

Thanks everyone for your insight, I see a lot of the same names every time I have a question or when I search the forums for answers before asking and I really appreciate all the info and assistance. I'm not a programmer by trade so it has been a journey for me and I wouldn't have gotten to where i am now without all the work others have done and shared.

rob1221

You can also use the code preview to quickly and easily see how Stencyl blocks translate into Haxe code.

Photon

If you are interested in Haxe and OpenFL, the OpenFL site has a nice amount of tutorials to get you started:

http://www.openfl.org/learn/
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

Tebbo

You can also use the code preview to quickly and easily see how Stencyl blocks translate into Haxe code.

This is kind of what I have been doing to take a peek at what things actually look like, and ultimately where I'd like to spend more time. At the very least I'd like to be able to really use custom blocks where applicable to simplify and make things do exactly what I need.

If you are interested in Haxe and OpenFL, the OpenFL site has a nice amount of tutorials to get you started:

http://www.openfl.org/learn/

Oh excellent I think with that and a more general AS3 book as a foundation I should be able to get somewhere.