Super Galaxy Star

Winzenheimer

Super Galaxy Star

I've been playing a lot classic shoot 'em ups lately, and it's safe to say I have completely fallen in love with the genre. Well, at least with oldies like, Super Nova and Gradius 3. Unfortunately this type of shmup is becoming rare, and to honor these great games I'd like to create my own.

Super Galaxy Star will play out like the classics I linked to above, survive each level without getting hit once and defeat the boss to move on to the next. Speaking of bosses, they won't be just "You shoot me, I'll shoot you.", these baddies will have widely different challenges, in Super Galaxy Star expect your long trek through a level to be rewarded with anything from a haunted chicken walker, to a weaponize robot train.

There are also many mysteries in the depths of space, deviate from the path, and who knows what you'll find.

--4 Playable characters!--
Before each game you can select one of four characters, each is design with their own set of weapons that can be upgrade during the course of the game. A weapon is upgrade after every five red powerups you collect. Every character also has a special ability; activated by pressing the Z key, collect yellow powerups to fuel these super powers!

Ovbius
Weapon
L1. Blaster
L2. Super Blaster, 1 Offense Option
L3. Ultra Blaster, 2 Offense Options
Special
Super Rocket

Longjocks
Weapon
Plasma Cannon
Special
Alter Firing Direction
L1. Four Directions (N, E, S, W)
L2. Eight Directions (N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW), Second Plasma Cannon (same direction as first)
L3. Third Plasma Cannon (facing rear of forward two.)
(!) Yellow powerups will upgrade your weapon to the next level with this character.

Keragus
Weapon
?
Special
?

Livia
Weapon
?
Special
?

(Character portraits will be added when I get around to working on them. :V)

Sound Track!
1. Title
2. Character Select
3. Mission Brief
4. Training Mode
5. Ploss (Space Station)
6. Aridia
7. Maagnizia
8. Ghost's Grave Nebula
9. Steel Stone Astro-Belt
10. Chillen
11. Red Rock Nebula
12. Super Zyber Battle Station
13. Black Hole
14. Warp
15. Boss Battle #1
16. Boss Battle #2
17. Final Boss
18. Game Over
19. Credits
Music by, Kung-Fu Kirby!

(!) To save and load your state, press L or K respectively.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 03:04:10 pm by Winzenheimer »

Winzenheimer

Change log:

--4/16/2011--
Reduced enemy projectile "Laser" speed from 50 to 40.
Modified enemy projectiles "Laser" and "Beam" graphics. They now flash red, blue, yellow, and green, the centers of the shots are one color ahead of the body.
Enemy "ZyberFighter" has correct collison bounds
Enemy "ZyberDrone" has final graphics.
Added new Character Select BG, mostly line art.
Enemies will now flash white when hit.
Added more detail to the Title BG.

--4/15/2011--
Thread posted.
I was promised the header would be transparent, I lied to myself.
-Update-
New header with a little bit more transparency. (CorelDraw takes for ever to boot up.)

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 01:42:02 am by Winzenheimer »

Blob

Digging the 'Super' added to the title. 8)

This looks and plays great Winzen, it's nice to see Galaxy Star in such a functional form. I especially like the enemy AI, though projectiles are really difficult to dodge.

Looking forward to more development.

~ Blob

Winzenheimer

Thank you Blob! Which characters did you chose to play as? It appears I've been foolish enough to forget to note that only Ovbius has proper collision bounds yet.

Blob

I played as Ovbius and Livia. It is easier as Ovbius, but even then it's a challenge to get very far in the level, at least for me. I think either speeding the character up and/or slowing down the fast projectiles/shrinking the big projectiles would help.

The projectiles the first enemies shoot are also hard to see when they overlap the planet in the background, so maybe instead of them flashing blue/inverting they could flash a color that stands out more over the backgrounds.

~ Blob

Winzenheimer

Ah, I was worried about the shots disappearing over the planet. I'll add green to the flash, a brighter yellow, and maybe a darker blue. Hopefully the extra colors will help them show up against future backgrounds too.

On the projectile speed; I've been using increments of 5 to keep thinks simple, but a deviation into other numbers might be the answer. I might do the same to character speed if it's to difficult too work to with on level 1, however it will be an upgrade able item, so I want to keep it a little "terrible" to begin with.

Epic428

I agree the enemy bullets are really hard to see.

Also, If I select Ovbius, then skip Livia and pick someone else, I get Little Triangles for their images.
James Moore - Official Support & Documentation.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

Winzenheimer

I should have an update tonight or tomorrow that will fix the bullet visibility issue, and include some more things like proper collision bounds for the ZyberFighter. These are already in place, but I would like to complete more of the first level before updating.

The triangles are there because the character's graphics are missing.

Edit;
Wait, Epic, do you see a triangle for Keragus after selecting Ovbius?

Epic428

Hrmm, I'll have to look again, but unfortunately It seemed like it was happening for all characters other than Ovbius and Livia

Edit: No He is missing a Player picture, (it is just blue) but I see his ship picture.
James Moore - Official Support & Documentation.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

Winzenheimer

Shoo- Okay good, I was worried there might have been some trouble, but from what you say everything is working. I'll spend a good day and do all the animations for the characters, ships and icons, so there's less confusion.

Update!
Quote from: Change Log
4/16/2011
Reduced enemy projectile "Laser" speed from 50 to 40.
Modified enemy projectiles "Laser" and "Beam" graphics. They now flash red, blue, yellow, and green, the centers of the shots are one color ahead of the body.
Enemy "ZyberFighter" has correct collison bounds
Enemy "ZyberDrone" has final graphics.
Added new Character Select BG, mostly line art.
Enemies will now flash white when hit.
Added more detail to the Title BG.

Before I can continue working on level one I need this guy finished to test Large enemies:

And I kept putting him off to fix/add minor things, got side tracked with a few smaller sprite projects too. Lo and behold, when I'm ready to work on this baddie; it's 3:30am. I'll try to finish him to tomorrow, if I don't end up sleeping the entire day, but encase I do; here's an update that doesn't add anything to the game except some balancing and un/finished sprites. :3

:<

KungFuFurby

I'm just about done with musical contributions on my end... speaking of which... I got some blanks to fill in! ^_^
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games

Hectate

When I read "choose two characters as their team" all I could think about was a "tag team" type schmup where you could slap a button and swap out to a fresh teammate while your other character went away and slowly regenerated/repaired their ship.

* Hectate adds this to his little book of ideas
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Winzenheimer

I'm just about done with musical contributions on my end... speaking of which... I got some blanks to fill in! ^_^

Good to hear! I'll go ahead and post the current songs:
1. Title
2. Character Select
3. Mission Brief
4. Training Mode
5. Ploss (Space Station)
6. Aridia
7. Maagnizia
8. Ghost's Grave Nebula
9. Steel Stone Astro-Belt
10. Chillen
11. Red Rock Nebula
12. Super Zyber Battle Station
13. Black Hole
14. Warp
15. Boss Battle #1
16. Boss Battle #2
17. Final Boss
18. Credits

When I read "choose two characters as their team" all I could think about was a "tag team" type schmup where you could slap a button and swap out to a fresh teammate while your other character went away and slowly regenerated/repaired their ship.

* Hectate adds this to his little book of ideas

That's a pretty interesting concept Hectate, I'd like to see it tried out. One of the toughest things to balance so far in Galaxy Star has been the player's health and making sure they don't have too much or too little, just enough to give each of the six characters their own amount.

KungFuFurby

If you're wondering about the filenames, which seem inconsistent, this is because they were produced as long as half a year ago, or a little more.
Hi, all! I'm KungFuFurby, music composer. If you're looking for some music for your game, just PM me.
My Works List for Non-Stencyl Games
My Works List for Stencyl Games

Winzenheimer

I've removed the indev version of Super Galaxy Star from the site. Unless I regain a better internet connection before completing this game I won't be able to update the game publicly in a suitable fashion.

Instead I'll try to provide updates through sprites, sketches, or screen caps.