More Than 25 Million Poems about the Midwest (iOS)

bjbest60

Hello all,

I'm pleased to announced the release of More Than 25 Million Poems about the Midwest, a choose-your-own-poetry app available for free: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/more-than-25-million-poems/id988443579?mt=8.  Check it out and let me know what you think!

I'm a poet and teacher, and got a grant from my school to develop an art project as an app.  I had some prior experience with Stencyl and was wondering if I could use it against type, i.e., use it for something interactive that wasn't a game.

Overall, I'm pleased with how it turned out, although I occasionally had to deal with odd workarounds.  Since the "game" is largely text-based, I had to wrestle with Stencyl's difficulty processing fonts.  Each bit of text is actually an image (and individually constructed in 1x, 2x, and 4x sizes to best suit each scale mode).  I know bitmap fonts are supposed to be the way to go, but I couldn't get those to scale correctly, either, although I think that might have been repaired recently.  There's also some weird happenings with the music.  On Flash, and my older iPad, the music plays as it should--continuously by shuffling songs.  But on my iPad Air, I have to hit the skip button to move to the next song.  The code is the same; I have no idea what changed for the Air.

Stencyl doesn't seem ideal for anything heavily text-based.  But the interactivity and ability to manipulate images worked well.  Overall, it was a good experiment, but clearly Stencyl is best-suited for games, and apps that try to push beyond that might be better made with a different creation tool.

ceosol

Congrats!

I agree and disagree with you about Stencyl. Fonts are certainly difficult to deal with and I have given up on bitmap fonts because they constantly glitch out on me.

What you could have done is use the image API blocks. Create an image, draw your text on to the image and then assign it to an instance. You can then move it around or grow/shrink the instance like any bitmap text. Once the user moves on, the image can be destroyed without taking up any space or resources. If the user goes back, the image/text/instance can be recreated and still not take up any space.

bjbest60

Interesting.  Something to consider.  When I posted about the font issue on the forums, no one suggested anything similar to this.  Thanks!

ceosol

Sorry, I don't frequent the questions forum because there are just SO many questions there. I feel bad answering some and not others :)