So the statement is true, yet it isn't?

TheIndieStation

No but I could send you a screenshot of the behavior. I will do that as soon as im home.

TheIndieStation

Okay, so I got permission to show you guys the process of how the data is being processed. As you can see, the steps are correct. First clear list, then add text, read text, if it's "None" (which is exactly what we added as you can see in the text file) proceed while setting the boolean to false, otherwise, split up the different options (which we dont have in this case).
But even after clearly adding "None" as first item to the list, it still shows up blank in the log viewer, but the value is there since it can be drawn as you can see in the previous screenshot.

So what on earth is going on here?

rob1221

Did you print "get item number 1 from _TextData" and confirm it is correct?

SadiQ

To me it looks like optionsList only contains spaces in it.
Print all the values to test (textData, tempWords)
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

ETHproductions

Oh hey, so you're using the External Data extension! From what I can see, the problem is with the line breaks (the character created when you hit Enter/Return on the keyboard). Here's a breakdown of what's going on:

Let's use \n to represent a line break. The text from file block is (or at least should be) returning this text:
My next step....Thanks for watching!\n#\nNone

When processed using split text using separator #, this becomes a list with these items:
#0: My next step....Thanks for watching!\n
#1: \nNone

Now, when a line break is printed, it cuts off whatever should have been printed after it. So when item #1 from _TextList is printed, nothing shows up.

My solution: place the text from file block inside a text without line breaks block, also part of the External Data extension. Please post the results back here, so I can see if I need to change something with the extension.
Fontstruct - Stencyl - Website (in progress)

Proud Member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

rob1221

So does that mean the second boolean in the first screenshot returns false because the text isn't "None" but actually "None " or " None"?  The text length block should answer that question.

TheIndieStation

Ahhhhh...
well since i broke up the text itself into seperate words using the regular split block, I had no isseus at all with the break line thing (the text in the text file itself is kept organised with line breaks) so i never thought it could case issues with tbe seperate with #.

I will do a quick test with your suggestion (ETH) and let you guys know the outcome. I will also check the lengt like rob suggested.

Thanks guys!

TheIndieStation

Ok so I started with checking the length and even tho it only draws the 4 characters of "None" the lenght is indeed 5 (see first picture).

So I also tried ETH's suggestion and it sort of works. It removes the "invisable" character, but placed \r in places where a line break was. So i stead of "None" with 5 characters, we get "\rNone" with 6 characters instead (See second picture)

Disclaimer. Im on my weekly traintrip so I only have a mobile connection again haha.

ETHproductions

I wrote that post when I was quite tired last night, so I forgot about one detail. The text without line breaks block doesn't remove line breaks; instead, it replaces them with \r. In the latest version (only works with 3.3), I've added in a remove line breaks from text block, which should do the trick.

Proud Member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

TheIndieStation

*facepalm* haha =p
well now I know I didnt messed something up myself haha. Im not sure what version of the extension I have but I will check it in a second.

Btw, I will also be doing a guide for you channel now that I have been playing around with it ;)

ETHproductions

I just posted that version 15 minutes ago, so I'm pretty sure you don't have it yet. ;)

TheIndieStation

Bummer =/
I have 3.2. I will update the extension asap so I can put an end to this mind turture haha. Do you have some documentstion about all features of your extension btw? Would like to see all featyres in a list so I can make a full guide.

ETHproductions

Just updated the 3.2 version for ya. :)

I don't yet have a full list of features, but I'll try to create one when I get a chance.

TheIndieStation

That would be great =)
No hurry tho, I hope to have part 3 for the Dialog Extesion guide up first, but im still waiting for Justin to save the day (month actually haha).

I will probablu start with your guide somewhere in the end of next week.