Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Merrak's Isometric Adventures -- Drawing Stuff

merrak

I definitely appreciate the support  :D If anyone's willing to post a flyer or two then I'll invest more time into polishing it.  But the full desktop game may be a further ways out. To render in any appreciable screen size for a desktop game, I'll need hardware support. I do have a fallback for software-only rendering in large scale, but there are some upcoming features in Stencyl that should let me expand on what I have.

In the meantime, I'm tossing a couple of other ideas around. I really should do something with the original 6-color tileset. Completing a couple of small-scale projects with this engine would be a good way to see what really works and what needs revision before attempting something larger scale.

Speaking of which, I'm now this far:

Other than the "trim" on the tops of the walls, it may not look much different than earlier screenshots. But there is one important difference. That scene is put together with about 15 individual images, rather than one large image. In addition, the images are sorted from front-most to back-most--so I have proper z-order. If you read some of my earlier posts, you may have caught that I was on the route to abandoning z-order. After all, if I follow my own level design parameters, z-order isn't an issue. But that's not actually true. While the player should be in view, other moving actors don't necessarily have to be.

So I split the walls so that each wall has its own dedicated image. The really nice thing about this is that I don't need to replace "DrawStack" to render them. I can integrate my new tile system with the current rendering method for actors.

For anyone who hasn't seen me use that word, "DrawStack" is the rendering process I've been using since Page 1. It's based on an idea I read in a post by captaincomic (but maybe not the actual code, which I never saw but was posted to StencylForge). A more recent example would be Isotiles (I'm assuming, based on what rob1221 wrote about his strategy in that post).

"DrawStack" is a very effective strategy for rendering isometric graphics in Stencyl. But there is a limit to its reach, and that appears to be a 2.5D game world with "hundreds" of tiles. I have a 3D world with "thousands" of tiles, albeit with 2.5D rendering. That difference in the order of magnitude of tile count is the catch.

The scene shown has 24 walls, and roughly 15 or so visible. (The invisible walls are the ones behind pillars, under floors, etc. They're present for shadow computational purposes, collisions, etc., but not rendered). If I throw in some moving actors, then the number of elements "DrawStack" is managing is now one order of magnitude less than the limit, as opposed to one above. Dropping two orders of magnitude is a significant improvement, leaving much more computing power free for lighting effects, smarter AI, etc.

So, advice for anyone making an isometric game with Stencyl-- The "DrawStack" method works very well until your number of actors reaches "thousands". After that point, I suggest you have a plan in mind on how to combine them.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 11:04:43 pm by merrak »

merrak

Renderer Result. Here it is.

The two blemishes on the left and right are to be expected, since I haven't yet defined the geometries for the invisible walls.

Moving the light to a position in front of the pillar:

And two lights:

merrak

So I'm finally at the fun part :D But also it's the annoying part... chasing down all the little bugs that only occur under specific circumstances. I spent the better part of this afternoon and evening chasing down a bug that turned out to be a problem in one of the most essential functions: projecting a point onto a plane. If you read the part about AABB projection (the linear algebra that is involved in shadow projection), there's an evil nuance. Projection doesn't work on a coordinate plane. What are the coordinate planes? They're the back of the back-most walls in the image below.

It's a non-issue if the light source is inside the scene. But if the light is outside, a shadow needs to be projected against the back wall into the room.

But having fixed that, it was time to start adding features! Here's a single-light source. Where did the door go?  :o

One reason I put so much time into the lighting system is that a large part of the game is based on the idea of hiding things in shadows. I want the player to be surprised, but I want it to feel fair, too. Enemies shouldn't just come out of nowhere, and I want to use shadows to put the player on guard.

Also... colored lights!

Most of the windows in Temple of Idosra are green, so I'd like to have a greenish tint.

And speaking of windows, there's now directional lighting. Got a flashlight?

merrak

I've been (slowly) going through the rest of the tileset from Temple of Idosra and configuring the tile geometries. This is an incredibly tedious process. Setting the image offsets, in particular, is frustrating.

To explain what that is, imagine a regular 2D tile or actor located at (x,y) in your scene. The image starts drawing at (x,y). This gets more complicated when your scene is 3D, since you have to project a point to 2D space and use that as the anchor point for the tile's image.

When things go wrong, well, this is the single most frequently posted image in this thread:

But it's also the most frequently recurring problem. It's made worse when structures are different sizes.

What's going wrong is this: I have a tile (stairs) located at (x, y, z). The steps themselves are defined by a sloping plane with four vertices. One of the vertices is (x0, y0, z0). To figure out where to draw the steps, I project (x0, y0, z0) to screen coordinates (Sx, Sy). I then add an x offset and y offset and draw the image at the resulting point. The offset is not easily calculated, because it depends on where that first plane vertex is--which is unique to the tile's geometry.

At least z-ordering is working. I never really talked about how that works, but I had to change strategies. My first solution assumed every actor and tile was the same size, so images could be sorted based on their (x + y + z) coordinate sum.

The new solution sorts walls (2D planes), not tiles (3D structures). Basically, I loop through all walls and compute the intersection of their respective on-screen polygons (compute Sx,Sy for all four vertices). The intersection is computed using the same Sutherland-Hodgman implementation I used for the shadows. If there is an intersection, I just need to pick a (x,y,z) point in the intersection and compare the depths using the (x + y + z) approach. Once again it's critical that all walls be convex quadrilaterals. An easy way to guarantee that is to make all walls rectangles (in grid coordinates)--hence the necessity of the "growing squares" algorithm.

The downside is that I couldn't get the built-in Array sort to work, since I have to compare each wall to every other wall. That's a lot of comparisons (quadratic time). While I only need to sort visible walls, there's still potential trouble in a complex room.

Sorting walls only needs to happen once, but sorting moving actors would have to occur every frame. What I might end up doing is partitioning the map's graph into three sub-sectors: visible, partially visible, and hidden. The first and third sub-sectors have simple rules. If a moving actor is in the "visible" sub-sector, then draw it. If it is in the "hidden" sub-sector, then don't draw it.  The "partially visible" sub-sector will be the pain to deal with. I'd prefer to find a way to use the painter's algorithm, since it's simple. The alternative would be to deal with more image clipping.

Edit. Here's what the scene is supposed to look like.

I used an red-orangeish light, which would be more appropriate for deeper areas away from the windows. The shadow follows the stairs rather nicely. This is a significant improvement over previous versions of the renderer, which were unable to work with any plane not parallel to a coordinate plane. This room has 77 walls, with about 30 visible. The Spring 2017 version of the engine (0.9.0, featured in March-May) would've used about 300-400 images to render this scene.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:23:34 pm by merrak »

merrak

Goat Goal. There are two significant problems left to solve, then I can say I'm done with the renderer and move on to the next stage  :D These two problems are the "moving lights problem" and the "goat problem".

The "goat problem" is casting a non-planar shadow. Here's the goat. He's non-planar and he knows it.

He's based on the Spokane Goat of Riverfront Park. And here's the problem-- All tiles are rectangular solids and have six planes. The three forward-facing ones are labelled according to the coordinate plane they're parallel to: "XZ" for left, "YZ" for right, and "XY" for top.

These three planes are the ones called "tile faces". It's worth pointing out that "tile faces" are significantly different than "wall faces" and "wall planes"--the latter two of which deal with the geometry of the scene. Walls don't have to fit into the above template. "Tile faces" refer to the three images (or six, if I have to draw the back of a tile for some reason). Images that don't fit entirely into one "tile face" have always been a challenge to render--particularly when it comes to  clipping issues. The infamous stairs:

Stairs, however, are (mostly) planar. Since I'm not worried about casting shadows of individual steps, stairs come out looking pretty nice. The goat, however, is not even close to planar. But I can only cast shadows against planes.

I implemented Solution 1 and got promising early results. Basically, I cast the shadow against each of the three "tile planes" making up the goat. This results in a planar shadow. For each pixel in the shadow, I then reverse the projection back to the original image and see if it hits a pixel on the tile's image--in this case, the goat. This works pretty well if the light is hitting the XZ and YZ faces of the goat straight-on. But it falls flat in most other scenarios.

The best solution I can think of is to "simulate" a cylinder by storing the entire image of the goat in one plane, then rotating it so that its normal vector points "as directly as possible" to the light (while still remaining orthogonal to the floor). If you have a calculus background, you probably know where the phrase "as directly as possible" is taking us--a good old-fashioned optimization problem. This has the potential to be an ugly problem. On the plus side, vector function optimization is usually taught in Calculus III in US universities--and I'll be teaching that course next Fall semester  8) So I'll have a better 'real world' example to pique interest than the usual textbook examples. So, Solution 2 to follow sometime later.

Anyway, here's the only decent looking screenshot I got out of my first solution. The careful observer will notice a few quirks with the goat, but it's a step in the right direction.

And, for comparison, the same room in version 0.9.0

What a difference 0.0.6 of an engine makes..

merrak

Per-Pixel Perplexion. Let's speed up per-pixel image manipulation fifteen-fold.

One of the biggest bottlenecks in this project has always been updating images (BitmapData). Whether using elementary routines or the Image API, working with images has consumed more CPU time than anything else.(or even everything else combined).

My initial tests using the Image API were disappointing, but adequate. Basically, I could re-draw the entire 384x320 scene every frame and get either about 17 FPS or 25 FPS. The better number was achieved by writing the raw code myself, where as 17 FPS was achieved using blocks. Using blocks introduces some code I don't need (propertyChanged calls, for example), but even 25 FPS isn't great. But, I don't need to re-draw the entire scene every frame. Even if I fill the entire scene with tiles, the image is diamond-shaped, so I'll never need to update the corners. Plus, every wall is its own image, so I only need to re-draw walls that are updated. If no shadows move, and no light sources move, no updates are necessary.

I figured if I re-drew one fourth of the scene every frame, I should get a reasonable frame rate. This would be enough to allow moving lights in tight corridors, but moving sprites could not cast shadows and larger rooms would need to be approached with greater caution. Also, I'd need to re-think how to achieve 720p or 1080p resolution.

I recently stumbled upon hxPixels in this thread. I did a quick test comparing the Image API's draw pixels routines to the hxPixels routines and found a significant improvement in performance.

The test produces the image above, which is a screenshot I loaded into memory and then manipulated. Here's the code for the two approaches: The chosen method is ran multiple times every frame and FPS is recorded.

Code: [Select]
    // ImageAPI Method
    public static function drawtest1( )
    {
        DLit.lock( );
        for ( x in 0...384 )
        {
            for ( y in 0...320 )
            {
                imageSetPixel( DLit, y, x, imageGetPixel( DLit, x, y ) );
            }
        }
        DLit.unlock( );
    }

// Pixels Method
    public static function drawtest2( )
    {
        var DPixels:Pixels = DLit;

for ( x in 0...384 )
        {
            for ( y in 0...320 )
            {
                DPixels.setPixel( y, x, DPixels.getPixel( x, y ) );
            }
        }

DPixels.applyToBitmapData( DLit );
    }

And results:

Repetitions     Pixels         Image API     hxPixels
Per Frame       Per Frame

1x             122 880         24.8         60.0+
   2x             245 760         12.6         60.0+
   3x             368 640          8.4         60.0+
   4x             491 520          6.2         56.2
   5x                              ---         51.6
   10           1 228 800          ---         35.6
   15           1 843 200          ---         25.0

720p (7.5)       921 600                     ~45.0
1080p (16.9)    2 073 600                     ~20.0

It's worth pointing out a few things. First, hxPixels is tagged "experimental", and was the first image manipulation package I found. There may be other, better ones. There may be unforeseen problems with hxPixels and Stencyl. Also, I'm only comparing per-pixel manipulations. Still, this is a promising first result. So far it looks like I can do a lot more in software than I was originally thinking. Being able to manipulate 921,000 pixels per frame is more than enough for 720p. The worst case scenario for my renderer is drawing a large, open room with flickering lights, since that would necessitate re-drawing every single wall on every frame. Even that wouldn't require drawing the entire screen... and I'd probably push something like that to a shader, anyway.

So, the "moving lights problem" is looking up.

Goat Problem Update.

As expected, the solution to the optimization problem in Goat Goal was ridiculous. The goal is to find the direction to point the goat's plane toward so that it points "as close as possible" to the light. The way to quantify that is to consider the direction the goat is facing (its normal vector) and the light's direction vector. The magnitude of the cross product of the two vectors gives the area of the quadrilateral formed by the two vectors. By minimizing the area, the vectors are "as parallel as possible".

Every so often "Stencyl 3D" comes up as a subject of conversation. To help illustrate the difference one extra "D" makes, here's the 3D solution: http://anorthogonaluniverse.com/misc/vallas/3dformula.txt

I worked out a 2D solution by projecting the light source onto the same plane the sprite occupies (the floor). I'll post the solution when I get it finished, but the math behind it is much more approachable without a Calculus background.

rob1221

Every so often "Stencyl 3D" comes up as a subject of conversation. To help illustrate the difference one extra "D" makes, here's the 3D solution: http://anorthogonaluniverse.com/misc/vallas/3dformula.txt
:o :o :o

merrak

:o :o :o

I left out a lot of the details because the solution isn't going to work, but it's based off of Rodrigues' Rotation Formula. Apply the formula to get Nrot(t) -- rotation of the "Sprite Plane"'s normal vector by angle t.

Then compute A(t) = | L x Nrot(t) |, where L is the light's direction vector, x denotes cross product, and | | magnitude.

A(t) is the area of the parallelogram I described. The calculus starts out like a straight-forward textbook exercise. Compute A'(t) and solve A'(t) = 0 for t, but that's where it gets ugly. A' was too complicated to solve exactly (Mathematica hung up on it), so I approximated A(t) using a second-order power series approximation. Call it P(t). So that formula is the solution to P'(t) = 0. After I saw the formula I didn't bother verifying if it solved the problem. Mathematica hung up trying to simplify it, which is the sign it is time to throw in the towel :P

merrak

Teeny-Tiny Temple of Idosra

I was thinking about making a tiny version of Temple of Idosra for LOWREZJAM 2017, but I'm not sure if I can get the game engine to a playable state--even if I forfeited dynamic lighting and went with pre-rendered rooms. I could re-install Box2D for collisions and use single-room scenes like in the original game.

I did a mock-up and thought it was cute.

To stay within the spirit of the jam, I'd need to make new assets--but that might be a good opportunity to try new ideas.

Goat Problem--Solution. 8)

Here is the correct render, preceded by a couple of working drafts--

This was definitely one of those underestimated problems. I'm not sure if I ever really explained why this is a problem in the first place, but here's the idea: I want the shadow to be the one that would be cast if the light was hitting the goat "straight on", regardless of where the light is. This will simulate the structure having depth, even though it is a flat 2D image.

I figured the easiest way to get the shadow of the goat was to start by defining a wall plane for it, like any other "normal" wall or floor would have. The top image shows the result, as if the goat was a solid wall, after rotating.

There were two significant problems to solve: rotating the goat's "pseudo" wallplane and reversing the projection to generate the shadow. As mentioned earlier, rotating was the most difficult of the two problems.

Now that I have the image up, though, it might be easier to understand what the problem is. This is a close-up:

The objective is to rotate the wallplane so that it remains orthogonal to the floor (as illustrated), but pointing toward the light. This will produce a sort of cylinder, giving that approximation of a 3D model. It's not perfect, but given that the goat is a regular old 2D image with no 3D data whatsoever, I think it's pretty good.

So what I did was project the light L onto the floor on which the goat is resting. The goat occupies position g and the light position L on the floor. Now it's a 2D problem that is much, much easier to solve.

Now compute v2 so that the dot product of vector L g and g v2 is 0 (hence perpendicular) and the length of g v2 is half of the length of a wall plane. This gives a system of polynomial equations has two simple solutions. (vdir is the light direction vector: L - g)

One solution produces v2 and the other v3. These points are reverse-projected back into 3D space. To get the other two vertices of the wall plane, multiply the floor's normal vector by the desired height and add to v2 and v3.

When the shadow of that wall plane is created, rather than darkening each point in the shadow, I reverse-project each point back to the original image. If the reverse projection hits a pixel, then that point is in the shadow of the goat. If it doesn't hit a pixel, then that point is fully lit.

I still need to round out the lighting of the goats themselves. The worst offender is on the far left. Half of it is completely lit and the other completely dark.

After that, I'm pretty much ready to tackle moving lights. I'm starting to worry that I have way too many computations going on and will need to find a way to optimize further. I haven't counted how many projections occur in a scene, but it's in the order of hundreds.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 09:42:51 pm by merrak »

merrak

Moving On... I took a week off and went to visit family out of state. Now I'm back and realized that none of my ideas for LOWREZJAM will help me accomplish my goals. Game jams are great for getting creative juices flowing and testing new ideas, but I'm not in a rut and I have a clear objective. So as much as I'd hate to drop out before really getting started, I need to focus on priorities.

On the plus side, the wall renderer is complete.  8) This is the final test render.

The goats now light up correctly, thus solving the last problem in the wall renderer. So, a celebratory checking-off of the to-do list:

The next step is to rebuild the "DrawStack" code, which is the game's scene renderer. The so-called "moving lights" problem lies here. Older versions of DrawStack were responsible for arranging images so that their z-order was correct. The updated version won't be any different in that regard, but it will need to be able to handle both bitmaps (for walls and floors) and actors (moving actors).

While the wall renderer works, I think I can squeeze more efficiency out of it. One idea I'm exploring is using multi-core processing to handle tasks that can be divided. I have a lot to learn here, since at this point I'm not sure what is even doable. The faster I can make shadow projection, though, the more complex rooms I can build.

merrak

DrawStack Drawback. It's been a while since I looked at my old code. It's a mess  ::) That's to be expected, I suppose. Feature creep, old ideas that didn't pan out (but I wasn't ready to delete), and inefficient methods all contribute to "the blob". I also think the principle, in general, wasn't ideal.

As mentioned earlier, "DrawStack" is the scene renderer--basically an extension of the default Stencyl scene renderer with extra code meant to manage draw order. Up to now, the approach I've taken is to sort the actors and draw them in order from furthest back to  closest (to the viewer). This was accomplished by manually drawing the actor's image. Bitmap operations tend to be slow, so DrawStack was the single biggest consumer of CPU time.

Stencyl seems to be much faster at rendering actors than drawing images manually, so I want to take advantage of that. In addition, I also want to take advantage of new features coming in to Stencyl 3.5.0. Instead of looping through all the actors and drawing them manually, I can sort the actors using z-order. At least, that's the plan. I couldn't do this before because I had so many actors (thousands). With the wall renderer, I can represent each wall using only a single image, so managing a sorted list is feasible.

Wall Renderer Woes. I took another look at the wall renderer and noticed it was slow--about 12 FPS on desktop build. My goal is 240 FPS (chosen because such an efficient renderer would have room to grow).

It's important to note that 12 FPS is what is achieved when all the walls are redrawn every frame. This is a worst case scenario, which I call the "flickering lights test". If I had a torch in the room, for instance, then the light level would change (slightly) every frame, necessitating redrawing the entire room every frame. Practically, I could achieve a torch effect using shaders very easily, so the "flickering lights test" is more of a benchmark and goal than a practical concern.

Moving actors would only require redrawing the walls for which their shadows should be added or removed. I could live without this feature, but I would really like it. It is possible that a lot of moving actors in a room could trigger an entire room re-draw. So... how to fix the issue?

I did some research into optimizing Haxe code and found quite a few useful tricks. First and foremost, take advantage of inline functions when appropriate. Math macros are a good candidate. Converting my vector calculation routines to inline functions had the single biggest effect--doubling the speed.

Second--hxPixels (mentioned a few posts ago) gives a nice boost to per-pixel operations. I actually implemented it and it works very well, albeit with one achilles' heel: converting back to bitmap. The culprit here is garbage collection. I'm still using the legacy OpenFL, so I'm hoping that upgrading will address this issue. From what I've read online, I'm not obtaining nearly the boost I should be--but I'm using that older version of OpenFL.

Third--Pre-computing values is a way to trade some memory for some CPU time. In time-sensitive functions (e.g. per-pixel operations on a bitmap), pre-compute any values you can and store them in memory.

Fourth and finally--this is specific to my own application, but is nice to know if you want to do something similar. One time-sensitive function is the one that checks if a pixel lies in a shadow. Each shadow is a polygon, so the way I tested this is to test if the pixel lies to the right of each edge of the polygon. (Note that the polygon is drawn clockwise). If this is indeed the case, then the pixel lies in the shadow.

I realized that it's redundant to perform this check against edges of a shadow that lie completely outside the wall. This is because of two things: First, if I'm even checking for a shadow at all, then I can assume at least one pixel on the wall belongs in a shadow. Second, I only need to care about pixels that are on the wall. If a pixel isn't on the wall, then it doesn't matter if it's in a shadow or not, because I won't be drawing it.

So if I keep only the edges that intersect the wall somewhere, then it is sufficient to perform the right-side test against only the surviving edges. If a shadow has no edges at all, then I can assume the entire wall is covered by the shadow.

All in all I managed to achieve 84 FPS.

So I'm still off my goal by a factor of three--but it was off by a factor of 20. I can live with 84 for now, and wait to see what improvements the new OpenFL brings. I do have one more trick up my sleeve--multi-threading--for which I've had some promising early results. If all else fails, nothing says I have to render the walls at the same rate as the rest of the scene. I just need to think of the new DrawStack as a manager of separate drawing routines, rather than one large drawing routine.

merrak

Progress! Finally some progress to report. The good news-- I finally got Temple of Idosra to boot up into "normal" mode for the first time since April. This includes running the new in-game renderer:

So yeah... that was anti-climatic. If it weren't for the logs, there would be no evidence at all that it's working. Where's Marika?

I forgot that I had gutted out the z-direction collision system. So there's no floor detection. I now have "Bottomless Pit Simulator".

The walls are there and in memory, but there is no camera yet. Pointing the camera anywhere causes a crash. But at least my new crash screen (part of the new game-loader) works.

"MS03 MS03 MS03 MS03" is supposed to be a stack trace of sorts, capturing the steps leading up to an error. So... I know what's wrong and how to fix it :) Actually doing the work on the other hand... well, I will be busy for a while fixing all the things I took out from the older version.

General advice on long-term projects... My tip for anyone taking on a large-scale project is to invest some time in learning good debugging tools and writing your own to fill in any gaps. It'll pay off in the long run. It's easy to throw in the towel when something doesn't work and you have a mountain of code to look through--but if you can just find the error, afterward it's often something simple to fix.

Tuo

General advice on long-term projects... My tip for anyone taking on a large-scale project is to invest some time in learning good debugging tools and writing your own to fill in any gaps. It'll pay off in the long run. It's easy to throw in the towel when something doesn't work and you have a mountain of code to look through--but if you can just find the error, afterward it's often something simple to fix.

I second this advice. Even for my Geometry TD (about a month into development), it's easy to forget why you did different things. Even things as simple as comments and "print" can be extremely useful.

Game is looking impressive thus far (well, besides the "bottomless pit simulator" :P)
Don't look to me but rather to the One who is the reason for what I do. :)

If you need help, send me a PM. Even if I haven't been on in the forums in ages, I still receive those messages via email notifications. You can also reply to any of my forum posts, regardless of the age (especially if I created it), and I will likely reply.

If you want to see the programming behind certain types of games, feel free to check out my "Demo-" games on StencylForge (http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,16160.0.html)

merrak

I second this advice. Even for my Geometry TD (about a month into development), it's easy to forget why you did different things. Even things as simple as comments and "print" can be extremely useful.

Game is looking impressive thus far (well, besides the "bottomless pit simulator" :P)

Thanks! :) At least "Bottomless Pit Simulator" had sounds. The 'ooOOooOOooOOoo' effect from the original game that plays on death loops. I think it freaked out the cats.

I use medit to write code. One of my favorite little features is that if I type "TODO" in a comment, it highlights it in a special color.

I played around with the "poster" I drew up earlier. Once again I'm not too sure about the tagline, but at least I like it better than the first one. It's hard to write a tagline that doesn't sound cliche. I also changed the font to the one that's used in the actual game.

Tuo

Perhaps "Fight the invisible. Fight the inevitable"?
Don't look to me but rather to the One who is the reason for what I do. :)

If you need help, send me a PM. Even if I haven't been on in the forums in ages, I still receive those messages via email notifications. You can also reply to any of my forum posts, regardless of the age (especially if I created it), and I will likely reply.

If you want to see the programming behind certain types of games, feel free to check out my "Demo-" games on StencylForge (http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,16160.0.html)