How do i make a good repeating background with photoshop?

choppedupmonkey

Hello,

I am attempting to make a repeating skyline for my next game, so there are skyscrapes, then clouds behing them. I have that, but it wont repeat right, i had to cut a skyscraper in half and put it on the opposite side, and it is still uneven,. How do you guys do it?\\

Any suggestions?

Thanks friends.
My name is Jason, I live in America, and I am 18 years old

"Focus more on the product than profit, for the profit will come after the product." -Me

rrzl

Use   ,  Filter > Other > Offset
Use "wrap around", adjust the Horizontal / Vertical, till you can see the problem area.
Now its easier to fix.  You can either fix it using Healing Brush, or re-paint it manually.

choppedupmonkey

Ok,

I have that set up but does that make the whole image wrap around? How would i then draw it?

Thanks Rrzl

"Focus more on the product than profit, for the profit will come after the product." -Me

rrzl

What kind of style is this image of yours? vector art? hand drawn? real photo?
I suggest you redo the image cleanly, separate the skyscraper and the clouds.
Sometimes its much faster than fixing it up. The method I describe above is a fast way to create a seamless tile.
Can you post what you currently have?

choppedupmonkey

Hello, and thanks again.

here is what i have so far, i have worked 3 days on it and i am not that great of a digital artist.haha

rrzl

Is this for the parallax scrolling?

I don't see any seams that breaks the image, its loopable, so there's no problem there.
Try not to make them in a certain pattern. Right now its tall to short and vice versa, its too noticeable.
A background shouldn't be the main focus, it should compliment and blend well with everything.
Browse google images to get some ideas.

And is that sky, sun and the skyscrapers on the same image?
Separate them, looping them doesn't make sense. The further something is, the slower it is.

As a side note, there's a lot of inconsistency in your graphics.
Try to focus on one style, one that you like and feel that you are able to pull with a bit of practice,
learn how to make them, and apply to all of them, rinse  and repeat.
In time you'll get better, and your game will look much, much better.

choppedupmonkey

Is this for the parallax scrolling?

I don't see any seams that breaks the image, its loopable, so there's no problem there.
Try not to make them in a certain pattern. Right now its tall to short and vice versa, its too noticeable.
A background shouldn't be the main focus, it should compliment and blend well with everything.
Browse google images to get some ideas.

And is that sky, sun and the skyscrapers on the same image?
Separate them, looping them doesn't make sense. The further something is, the slower it is.

As a side note, there's a lot of inconsistency in your graphics.
Try to focus on one style, one that you like and feel that you are able to pull with a bit of practice,
learn how to make them, and apply to all of them, rinse  and repeat.
In time you'll get better, and your game will look much, much better.

Haha thanks, i have since moved on to making waves as a background instead of skyscrapers and here is what i have so far! Any suggestions?

EDIT: UPDATED IMAGE

« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 06:06:57 pm by choppedupmonkey »

rrzl

A wave is constantly moving and changing. Unless you animate it, it will look like some kind of solid object.
One fast simple way you can do is, put another layer behind it, and animate it up and down.
Hard to explain with words. Watch Don't Starve gameplay on youtube, it'll give you an idea.

choppedupmonkey

I finished my wave, and if i can say so myself i think it looks pretty good.