Traditional RPG Game/Kit

HNF

I've been spending a while modifying a demo made by Justin. This is supposed to be a fully functional RPG game. However, development has not gone as fast as it could. I thought it would be useful to open up more of my game to others for comment and possibly assistance.

Public demo: http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,417.msg3577.html#msg4115
Attached is a picture of the inventory system and a picture of the battle system.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 04:01:25 pm by HNF »

Ethan

I'm really excited for this! Seems really cool.

Strasteo

Whose doing the graphics? Those tiles look really quite nice. :]

Anyway, sounds cool, looking forward to it.

Duckaiser

Cool to see more work being done on this! Looks really Dragon Warrior-y at the moment...(which is perfectly understandable) I'd like to help with this in some way if I could. As a matter of fact, I actually have a few ideas for simple 8-bit RPGs (no "grand epics", not now) going around in my head right now...No, I'm not talking about Princess Zorgia and friends...

Anyway, it was Justin who made the graphics in the first screenshot, correct? I recognize those tiles and epic fish monster. The second screenshot has the Gralsland battleback from XP and the Werewolf battler from VX! (yeah, I recognize those immediately...)

Darkhog

HNF, will it be compatible with RPG Town and Dialog demo which was on old Forge (don't remember author, but will upload it to new forge when i'll be at home)? Also will battle system be easily replaceable, because I rather opt for side view battle systems like one in RPG Maker 2003 (that's one of two main reasons I am still using this version of RM. The other one is that it's almost 100% compatible with Wine (even found a way to enable midis in it) while for XP and VX this isn't correct (especially for encrypted games)).

//edit: Fixed typos.

There are no impossible things. There is only lack of skills.
Don't click this if your computer has less than 641 kilobytes of RAM.
Stencyl stencyling stencylish stencylers :D

HNF

Whose doing the graphics? Those tiles look really quite nice. :]

Anyway, sounds cool, looking forward to it.
Quote from: Duckaiser
Cool to see more work being done on this! Looks really Dragon Warrior-y at the moment...(which is perfectly understandable) I'd like to help with this in some way if I could. As a matter of fact, I actually have a few ideas for simple 8-bit RPGs (no "grand epics", not now) going around in my head right now...No, I'm not talking about Princess Zorgia and friends...

Anyway, it was Justin who made the graphics in the first screenshot, correct? I recognize those tiles and epic fish monster. The second screenshot has the Gralsland battleback from XP and the Werewolf battler from VX! (yeah, I recognize those immediately...)
Justin made the graphics in the first picture. Later I picked up some graphics from XP and VX to use instead.

I'd love some help on this project. There are a lot of different elements that need to blend together. How good is your programming and your ability to create order out of chaos?

Quote from: Darkhog
HNF, will it be compatible with RPG Town and Dialog demo which was on old Forge (don't remember author, but will upload it to new forge when i'll be at home)? Also will battle system be easily replaceable, because I rather opt for side view battle systems like one in RPG Maker 2003 (that's one of two main reasons I am still using this version of RM. The other one is that it's almost 100% compatible with Wine (even found a way to enable midis in it) while for XP and VX this isn't correct (especially for encrypted games)).
Since it's all made in Stencyl, it will be compatible. However, it will be hard to port this kit into a resource pack, since there is already a lot of stuff.

The battle system is relatively easy to replace. Right now the code is a mess, but it won't be too hard to change around graphics for a side view battle system.

Duckaiser

I'd love some help on this project. There are a lot of different elements that need to blend together. How good is your programming and your ability to create order out of chaos?

Well...my programming is atrocious and I have a tendency to turn order into chaos when it comes to behaviors (seriously, I try tweaking a functional behavior and...it all goes to hell) I was thinking...something else. Maybe I could help with graphics, I don't know. I haven't been too reliable on that. (my enemies for Noni's Adventure were never finished, my action adventure graphics were never finished, my "red panda game" graphics were never finished, my Metroidvania nun graphics were never finished, the list goes on...) But for what it's worth, my spriting skills are best suited to RPG sprites. So...it's possible I could help in that regard...if that would help at all.

Well...and I suppose I have a lot of experience trying to make RPGs. But those were always with an RPG Maker (even so, there's still a lot of work involved) so I didn't program anything myself. I just have experience in trying to balance characters, equipment, and monsters etc. I suppose that's not that important for the Kit though!

HNF

Sure, it would be great for you to work on some graphics. It would be useful to have our own graphics, since they can look nicer than placeholder.

RPG properties (stats and such) can be tweaked later on, but I'll keep you in mind.

HNF

I'm attaching a demo of what exists so far. There are currently a couple of features and a couple of bugs.
Controls

Arrows - Movement
Enter - Action
Shift - View items
Features
  • Tile-based movement
  • Battle system occurs when walking x steps
  • Battle system allows for attack or retreat
  • Leveling system (doesn't do anything yet)
  • Fishing (click enter near the water)
Bugs
  • Fishing battle has inconsistent menu appearance (click enter if you don't see it at first)
  • Player keeps hitting imaginary objects (the console prints if there is a collision)
  • Main inventory is hard to open
  • Inventory has drawing in wrong order.
  • Battle inventory has no return function (disabled in demo)
  • Leveling system doesn't have an effect on stats [change Character behavior (import)]
  • Fishing messes up monster encounters [change Monster Encounter custom block]
http://www.stencyl.com/v10/game/play/2108

Duckaiser

It's getting more and more like Dragon Warrior! Which I think is pretty cool to be honest. I (and most others) would prefer a party based system instead of a solo RPG, but hey, it's a start, and I already have an idea or two that would totally work for a solo RPG. And well, I can only imagine how much more work it would be to make support for 4 party members! (and other things ARE more important right now!)

I have a lot more free time in the coming weeks than I've had the past few weeks, so I might be able to make some graphics. Probably something 8-bit...like...Dragon Warrior 1-ish.

Ceric

Looks like this is coming along nicely. When you say "imaginary objects," what exactly do you mean? I noticed that it's really hard to move for some reason.

Epic428

Looks like this is coming along nicely. When you say "imaginary objects," what exactly do you mean? I noticed that it's really hard to move for some reason.

That sounds similar to what I was experiencing in this thread, the object would register a top end collision when there was nothing to hit: http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,491.0.html
James Moore - Official Support & Documentation.
We cannot and will not respond to PM's asking questions. Please make a new thread in the forums if you have any questions, Thank you.
For better support and faster response times, please post your logs regarding any Stencyl related issues. Debug > Logs > Generate Logs

HNF

It's getting more and more like Dragon Warrior! Which I think is pretty cool to be honest. I (and most others) would prefer a party based system instead of a solo RPG, but hey, it's a start, and I already have an idea or two that would totally work for a solo RPG. And well, I can only imagine how much more work it would be to make support for 4 party members! (and other things ARE more important right now!)

I have a lot more free time in the coming weeks than I've had the past few weeks, so I might be able to make some graphics. Probably something 8-bit...like...Dragon Warrior 1-ish.
At the moment, I'm not going to focus on multiple entities in your party or the monster party. That will take more time with the battle system.
Quote from: Ceric
It's hard to move because the tile-based movement behavior I had from Justin keeps registering a collision, even though there isn't anything it is colliding with. I've checked the scene, but it keeps causing problems.

Quote from: Epic428
That sounds similar to what I was experiencing in this thread, the object would register a top end collision when there was nothing to hit: http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,491.0.html
The problem may be related, although I'm experiencing collisions on all sides. I'm going to fiddle with the behavior.

Duckaiser

Well, I think I've finally settled on an RPG idea to sprite for. The setting is a mix of medieval, modern, and futuristic...inspired by Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, and SaGa Frontier. I had an idea for a more DQ1-esque game, but even that idea is probably too much to handle so early. So...I've went to a different idea, in the same world. Much, much simpler in almost all aspects. Whether or not I can even make that isn't the point here. The point is that I'm going to start spriting for this RPG before the kit is ready, and I'm going to share most (if not all) of the graphics I make for this. I shouldn't feel so hesitant to share my graphics, after all, people seem to like the Pronger!

Anyway, the point of having a mixed setting like that is to give people options if they want to use some of my graphics. The spriting style is going to be fairly simple (but NOT 8-bit, I absolutely cannot grasp how to do 8-bit properly) and I've already started a character template (inspired by FF6!) The monsters will follow suit, ranging from medieval monsters to high-tech battle robots, I'll make a few monsters to go with the kit.

I'm not going to go into any details to the characters and story I've thought up (like...with Princess Zorgia) I'll save that for another topic! (like, one of my own)

I've attached the base template (it can definitely be improved) and a sample character I made with it in about 3 minutes (a cowboy)...They are 16 x 24, pretty small, but I'll use the 2x resolution thing in-game (sure, they'll look a tad pixelly then, but I'm going for a SNES-ish look here). I've also attached both at double size, to make them easier to see.

HNF

I like the style of your character. I can't wait to see the rest of your sprites.

I feel like the best way to make the kit useful is developing a game to go with it. Princess Zorgia felt like a great idea when Justin was working on this, and it still has potential to be a good game.

RPGs are complex games and require a lot of work to make it customizable. Even once the kit is finished all the behaviors will have to be cleaned up and given a way to make it customizable in the behaviors tab. I appreciate your help.