Traditional RPG Game/Kit

Duckaiser

Glad to hear you like it! I was worried it might have turned out bad. Gotta work on the walking frames and other directions now.

I'm gonna make graphics for my own game ideas, to make my own simple RPG. But I'm going to share most of them, so someone else can use them, perhaps for a bigger, more in-depth RPG. I'm planning to make a few graphics I won't use in my first RPG, to give someone wanting to use my graphics more options. I haven't abandoned the RPG with Princess Zorgia (after all, KungFuFurby made two awesome songs for it!) but I think it's out of my league for now.

If I recall correctly, didn't Luyren have some RPG elements going in his RPG Platformer Kit? Maybe there's something you could use from that?

Something I was wondering about...I'm curious about the possible difficulty and priority of making certain RPG features. It will help me plan my short RPG idea...
So, what do you think is the difficulty and priority of:
A. Forced encounters - Either onscreen enemies or event battles during a cutscene, OR even an item starting a battle?
B. Different elemental attributes - Like Earth, Wind, Fire, Water (Heart, lol) and even stuff like Blunt and Slash? And ways to adjust the weakness and resistances of characters, monsters, and bonuses and penalties granted by armor.
C. Different weapons have different "animations" - So, the attack command shows a different "animation" if a different weapon is equipped. By animation I mean even just a different color flash and sound effect.
D. Status effects - basic ones like Sleep and Poison.
E. Ammo - Attacking with a weapon consumes ammo, an item in your inventory. The current ammo of the equipped weapon would be displayed in battle.

That's all I can think of for now, sorry to ask so many questions.

I'm glad to help in some way. Now, to get spritin'!

HNF

If I recall correctly, didn't Luyren have some RPG elements going in his RPG Platformer Kit? Maybe there's something you could use from that?
That's true. I should look into incorporating some of those behaviors into this kit.

Something I was wondering about...I'm curious about the possible difficulty and priority of making certain RPG features. It will help me plan my short RPG idea...
So, what do you think is the difficulty and priority of:
A. Forced encounters - Either onscreen enemies or event battles during a cutscene, OR even an item starting a battle?
B. Different elemental attributes - Like Earth, Wind, Fire, Water (Heart, lol) and even stuff like Blunt and Slash? And ways to adjust the weakness and resistances of characters, monsters, and bonuses and penalties granted by armor.
C. Different weapons have different "animations" - So, the attack command shows a different "animation" if a different weapon is equipped. By animation I mean even just a different color flash and sound effect.
D. Status effects - basic ones like Sleep and Poison.
E. Ammo - Attacking with a weapon consumes ammo, an item in your inventory. The current ammo of the equipped weapon would be displayed in battle.
A. Forced encounters are supported as a custom block.
B. Elemental attributes won't be hard to add, but it would be challenging getting all of the weaknesses and resistances to work and hard to customize. It wouldn't be hard, but support and testing would take some time. This is a priority before the final release, but not right now. I think armor bonuses would be slightly less hard to support since you just add to the character's stats right before damage is calculated.
C. Different animations wouldn't be hard to support. I'll focus on that once I get into magic.
D. Status effects - I don't think it would be so hard, at least basic effects. I would just need to add some extra logic before each turn begins. I'll focus on this once I get into magic.
E. Ammo - This doesn't seem too hard. I'll do this once I get items used in battle.

My next project will be equipping, first in the field, then calculating those statistics in battle. Your questions are fine, they help me to determine what to focus on and what I need to add.

Luyren

That's true. I should look into incorporating some of those behaviors into this kit.

As a quick note on what are the RPG elements there:
-Experience
-Health: comes with a list to detect a damage type, and modify damage accordingly when receiving damage.
-Status Condition (well, it's a little hardcoded to offer poison, silence, paralise and confusion)
-Equip Weapon/Armor: set min/max damage, weapon type and damage type. I'm actually proud of this behavior, as you can fully customize as many weapons as you want for the actor.
-Character Status
-Combat Statistics: combine values from equip weapon/armor and the character status to define combat statistics (defense, maximum damage etc)

The attack behaviors (Melee Attack, Ranged Attack), retrieve the values from combat statistics, spawn a "damager actor", and set for this actor all the attack information (damage, damage type, if it's an attacj against physical defense or magica defense etc). This damager will then hit the enemy and inflict damage. The health behavior will modify the damage if it has weakness/resistance against the damage type.

These are the behaviors for the RPG elements from my kit. If you do end up using elements from the kit, feel free to ask anything you need.
Working.

Duckaiser

Thanks for answering my questions HNF. Good to know too, those are some of the most important features I need for my idea (besides obvious stuff like levels, experience points, items shops, easy to make dialogue, making cutscenes...that's something else though, not directly related to this kit)

I've been working on that template a little...
I've made a walking frame, and a sideview frame. I sprited my main character, and he turned out well. I used Sabin as the main reference, as he had the closest body type to what I wanted, sort of. But I tried spriting a feminine character with that template, and...it looked to bulky. So using Terra as reference, I made a "feminine" version (not necessarily female, after all the first character I used it for was an effeminate male...just to let you know...) and I think it's suitable. I'm mainly spriting main characters for my idea now, the thing is I'm not sure I want to put those on the Forge. But I'm not ready to start my game now so I should make something else first.

HNF

As a quick note on what are the RPG elements there:
-Experience
-Health: comes with a list to detect a damage type, and modify damage accordingly when receiving damage.
-Status Condition (well, it's a little hardcoded to offer poison, silence, paralise and confusion)
-Equip Weapon/Armor: set min/max damage, weapon type and damage type. I'm actually proud of this behavior, as you can fully customize as many weapons as you want for the actor.
-Character Status
-Combat Statistics: combine values from equip weapon/armor and the character status to define combat statistics (defense, maximum damage etc)

The attack behaviors (Melee Attack, Ranged Attack), retrieve the values from combat statistics, spawn a "damager actor", and set for this actor all the attack information (damage, damage type, if it's an attacj against physical defense or magica defense etc). This damager will then hit the enemy and inflict damage. The health behavior will modify the damage if it has weakness/resistance against the damage type.

These are the behaviors for the RPG elements from my kit. If you do end up using elements from the kit, feel free to ask anything you need.
Thanks Luyren! I'll see if I there is anything I can include.

I've been trying to come up with menu layouts for the inventory and equipment behaviors. I've come up with equipment for the head, torso, right arm, and left arm. Other body parts will come later, but they aren't as important. The layouts are almost complete, I just want to adjust some stuff before I start coding everything in.

I also will be doing some preliminary graphics for the inventory.

Duckaiser

I've "finished" the "masculine" template.
If it looks alright I think I'll start making some sprites specifically for the kit. I've already sprited the main character for my game idea, but I probably won't share that completely (sorry). I think I'll start with something obvious first, like a Knight.

almyki

I haven't said anything, but I've been following this thread and am excited this Kit hasn't died!  Looks like good stuff has been going on =D . 

Before, I did two backgrounds (a forest and a beach) digitally for this kit, the original files are lost but I still have .pngs in Photobucket.  I had wanted to continue and make a bunch of 'generic' backgrounds for the kit, but I never got to it and then my computer died.  Now, I don't know if those backgrounds would still be any use, or if any more would be an asset.

Would you like some more background images?  I promise nothing, but if you have any requirements like dimensions, style, or required 'open ground space', it would be good to know.  I've been rather inconsistent lately though, and more in the mood for watercolors and acrylics than digital.

<3 ali
dA |

Skills:  Drawn art, writing/story concepts, drawn backgrounds.
Preferred Games:  Visual Novels, RPGs, Simulations, Sandboxes, Dress-Ups
Current Projects:  Pokepet Eevee!

Duckaiser

I remember those! They still look great. They make my sprites a little sad though. (my sprites don't need to go with those though, those are backgrounds, probably for battle!)

I finished the "feminine" template.

I've also made a Knight as promised. As well as a Dark Knight, a Kunoichi, and a civilian girl.

Ceric

That's a great sprite template. For the sprites, I think the issue with them is they have too few colors, style-wise, compared to the backgrounds. I like the sprites in general, but they look like they are designed for more of a lo-fi game.

Edit: And reading the rest of the thread it seems like you're going for a lo-fi game, so different backgrounds are probably necessary.

Again, cool sprites. The two knight sprites need more contrast, especially the Dark Knight, but the rest look good. :)

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 10:43:42 pm by Ceric »

Duckaiser

Thanks. I think they'd look better with shading, but typically, for me, the shading takes longer than the rest of the colors, and it usually doesn't turn out well, so sometimes I don't bother. I agree the Dark Knight is a little off. I guess I wanted the armor to be really dark with a dark red trim, but it's just too dark. I'll see what I can do with it.

HNF

I haven't said anything, but I've been following this thread and am excited this Kit hasn't died!  Looks like good stuff has been going on =D . 

Before, I did two backgrounds (a forest and a beach) digitally for this kit, the original files are lost but I still have .pngs in Photobucket.  I had wanted to continue and make a bunch of 'generic' backgrounds for the kit, but I never got to it and then my computer died.  Now, I don't know if those backgrounds would still be any use, or if any more would be an asset.

Would you like some more background images?  I promise nothing, but if you have any requirements like dimensions, style, or required 'open ground space', it would be good to know.  I've been rather inconsistent lately though, and more in the mood for watercolors and acrylics than digital.
These are really good backgrounds. I think I said that when you posted them before. Although I agree with Ceric that they conflict with the lo-fi graphics from Duckaiser. Almyki, current backgrounds are 250x, although you are able to go slightly wider if you want.

If you want to make stock graphics for the RPG kit, you can download Monster Game on StencylForge to look at sizes.

An game update, I started the main menu (space bar opens it). You can navigate using the left/right and enter to select an item. Only the inventory (left most icon) works. Once you open it, you can navigate that just like before. Press escape to exit the inventory.

http://www.stencyl.com/v10/game/play/2108

Chibicat

I got a sprite template that I was going to use for my RPG, but i'm going to do something else. You can have it if you want, lol.

I'll pitch in some menu arrows too
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg221/chibicalamity/arrows.png

« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 07:24:56 pm by Chibicat »

almyki

I'll do that, sure.  By 250x, you mean 250px wide?  Is there any height requirement?  On second though, I guess I can check that when I download the Monster Game.

I'm not sure, but does low-fi mean like... I dunno' how to word this, old-school?  Retro?  Something like that?  I'm not sure how I'd draw backgrounds to suit that, is there an an example of that 'style' of background for me to work off of?

And yes, these backgrounds were originally intended for only in-battle scenes, possibly cut-scenes, not like... to walk through normally on a game map or something ^^' . 

I like the little sprites, it's a great start to a generic sprite set, though I agree that they definitely feel like they could use a bit of shading.  They don't look bad, more like 'unfinished'.  Even just two shades for every color would make them look 'finished', I think.  But it's not necessary, and it's something that can probably be done any time at a later date too.  If Duckaiser doesn't feel great about the shading step of sprites, maybe someone else might show an interest and do take over that particular step in the process.  But I don't know, it's just a thought.

<3 ali
dA |

Ceric

I'm not sure, but does low-fi mean like... I dunno' how to word this, old-school?  Retro?  Something like that?  I'm not sure how I'd draw backgrounds to suit that, is there an an example of that 'style' of background for me to work off of?

Here's a lo-fi (i.e. retro-styled) battle example from the original Phantasy Star for the Sega Master System. And one from Dragon Warrior 1 on the NES. Lastly, here's a screenshot from a more modern but retro-styled RPG called Cthulhu Saves the World (for XBox).

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 10:10:37 pm by Ceric »

almyki

Ah, I see, thank you.  In that case, I may not be the best fit for this project after all )= .  I'm sorry, but I just can't accomplish good-looking pixelwork, and I can't imagine making backgrounds in this style in a traditional medium.  Maybe I'll just make a resource pack of backgrounds for generous use instead.

<3 ali
dA |