Defendo an action arcade reflex game for iOS

petersdream

Hi Stencylers!
For me developing games has been always a dream to follow.
I started some years ago developing small renders, small games and other game related stuff.
Now I felt is the moment to develop my first commercial game for iOS.

Defendo is the fruit of my night game development. It has been two years now.

Night after night I created a game that I would like to play and hope others also would enjoy.
I know that the below screen doesn't say much, it is a conscious decision to share information step by step on all social media.

I will continue to update you as I proceed, 85% of the game is finished.
For the time being you would make me really happy if you would check the official website:

www.defendogame.com

or just get in touch on twitter, Facebook, or my Tumblr website:

https://twitter.com/petersdreamgame

https://www.facebook.com/defendogame?ref=hl

www.petersdreamgame.com

You can check the teaser here (it is also on the defednogame website),
https://youtu.be/QW3zuzSMtLo

Thanks for your  interest
Peter

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 03:30:10 am by petersdream »
Indie Game developer (at night). Currently working on his dream game for iOS.
@petersdreamgame

ceosol

I like the art style. It is looks like a mesh of 3D and pixel art.

petersdream

I like the art style. It is looks like a mesh of 3D and pixel art.

Thanks a lot!
I am very happy with the result, It took me some time to find the right colors and art.
I will make a post about that in the future.
@petersdreamgame

ceosol

I will make a post about that in the future.

Please do, I would be interested in reading about it.

petersdream

Defendo came a long way. More or less two years ago I drew the first concept of the game. After that, it took me a couple of months to have the alpha working. At the time I did not know it was the alpha. I liked the game but at the same time I knew something was missing. I called it the “wow” factor. The wow factor was an art style more appealing and colorful than black and white. I searched and searched but nothing came in my mind. And then finally!!! But this is another story. To be continued…

@petersdreamgame

petersdream

So I was looking for the wow factor. All was black and white, as you can see in the first picture. And them bam!! Idea!!! Maybe I should have a motherboard theme. At first I thought it was a struck of genius, but then the more I looked at it the more unappealing it seemed. So I searched again and wandered in the dark. On September 2014 I was looking at the BBC program click, and as the intro rolled in, I said wow!!! This is it!! I want to recreate the laser/holo/web theme. So I jumped into gimp and created what you see in picture nr 4 (just the white/red targets). And… I didn’t like it. At all. Something was wrong, the art style was still not appealing. After some time on Twitter I found something called Hexels. To be continued… hexelarts

@petersdreamgame

ceosol

The click stuff still looks neat. I think it could have worked with your game.

petersdream

The click stuff still looks neat. I think it could have worked with your game.
Thanks ceosol! Well I thought the same, but digging into the details I did not have the skills nor the mindset to create all the other art (backgrounds, buttons, font etc.). When I played the game it looked outdated. More then that I knew that this theme was already popular with Geometry wars, and I wanted to do something fresh. If you want I can write how to achieve this effect with gimp. It's quite simple and fun.
@petersdreamgame

ceosol

If you want I can write how to achieve this effect with gimp. It's quite simple and fun.

Thanks, but I'm not an artist. I am anxiously awaiting your review of Hexels, though :)

petersdream

Buying Hexels was a great decision. It gives you the feeling of endless possibilities. It is easy to use and the greatest part is that even a non artist person like me can create beautiful art. After buying Hexels I started to draw, test and have fun. This was also part of my research in finding the right art style for Defendo. So from a black and white game it suddenly became very colorful (see the level select?). Still I was not satisfied as I went from one extreme to another. But at the same time I knew this was the tool to use, I just needed to research harder.

@petersdreamgame

ceosol

Does Hexel create the 3D illusion on its own or do you have to manually color each?

petersdream

Does Hexel create the 3D illusion on its own or do you have to manually color each?

You have to color all by yourself to achieve the 3D illusion.It is a really intuitive and easy process.
Hexels splits the canvas in the set shapes and then you can easily follow the lines. I must say I enjoyed it a lot.

Below some of the floating islands.

@petersdreamgame

ceosol

You have to color all by yourself to achieve the 3D illusion.

It looks nice, but I would still run into the same problem that I have making pixel art - I suck at coloring depth :)

If it had a feature to choose a vertex and pull it up or down, recoloring it and surrounding hexels, I would be totally on board. I'll stick with playing on my own 3D images to make them look cartoony.

merrak

If you want I can write how to achieve this effect with gimp. It's quite simple and fun.

I'd be very interested. The artwork is great!

petersdream

You have to color all by yourself to achieve the 3D illusion.
It looks nice, but I would still run into the same problem that I have making pixel art - I suck at coloring depth :)

Yeah I know the feeling.  Before I used MyPaint (also great tool, but in hand of an artists) and I just could not find any inspiration.
Hexels is evolving all the time maybe it will be even easier in the future.

Still If you find the time maybe there is still the demo available to play around.

By the way yesterday I found a great read for art design:
http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/creative/visual-arts/the-total-beginner’s-guide-to-better-2d-game-art-r2959

It's really brilliant!!
@petersdreamgame