Defendo an action arcade reflex game for iOS

petersdream

And this is the level select

Defendo will have in total 30 levels (which three are called challenges).

This is how they look when the game is first played.

Here is a nice interactive version:

There are also three mini games that you can unlock by playing the game

Next time I would like to show you more those additional modes
Indie Game developer (at night). Currently working on his dream game for iOS.
@petersdreamgame

Bombini

Hi,

i like the art style a lot.
One comment: Light comes usually from above. I think it makes more sense to change the color order of the floating islands (light, darker, darkest).

Cheers!

petersdream

Hi,

i like the art style a lot.
One comment: Light comes usually from above. I think it makes more sense to change the color order of the floating islands (light, darker, darkest).

Cheers!

Hi there!

Thanks a lot, glad you like the art style.

Talking about light, when I was designing the floating islands I took the light direction from the bottom right.
I also wanted to have in the scene not too many darker spots, so they are more visible rather than overwhelming.

Thanks for the feedback, it made me think for some future isometric projects.
@petersdreamgame

petersdream

Defendo at the start had only three colors black white and red. But that wasn’t so appealing. So I started to read more about colors, how they match and they don’t. One thing I learned that there are many complementary colors that really click. One great tool I used is Adobe Colors cc. It is a fantastic way to discover new colors, combinations or just find inspirations. For Defendo I used a mix of complementary colors and close to complementary. It wasn’t a quick and easy step but it payed off.

Adobe Kuler: Color wheel | Color schemes

https://color.adobe.com
@petersdreamgame

petersdream

And here I am back again.
Not that I was anywhere... I was all the time working on Defendo...

So what's cooking? Now, mini games.
I have three of them for Defendo.

1. Resist one more

2. Wave attack

3. Target Rush

The first two are similar to the main gameplay mechanic with a small twist.
In "Resist one more" you must survive by destroying the enemy shapes, and in "Wave attach" it is pretty much the same but the shapes come from four directions.

"Target rush" is different as the goal of the mini game is to destroy as many targets possible without touching the red ones.

Now I am doing the last polishes and bug fixing.
Hope to send the game for review this week.

@petersdreamgame

petersdream

Seems like I am going to send the game to the AppStore for review in the following days.
In the last three weeks I have been working on the optimization of Defendo performance.

What I found out is that from level 15, levels loaded and re-loaded in up to 6 seconds.
This value for me was way to high. If you create a game where you will be constantly defeated, it would be a shame let the gamer wait 6 second each time for the level to load.

After those three weeks I am happy to see that those levels load in 1-2 seconds max.
This was achieved by trimming as much as possible the space of the scene, and re writing then some xy coordinates.

Then I also added a new statistic for each scene called Attempts, so the players can see the number of attempts for each level they played.

Now it is time to win the game again, update & check the AppStore information and all will be set.
It is really a nice feeling, my first working prototype for this game was in February 2014...
@petersdreamgame

petersdream

I'm very happy to announce that Defendo is waiting for the review at the App Store.
Hope to let you know in some time that it is available!

@petersdreamgame

petersdream

So Defendo is still in review, this gives me time to update the website, but also to share some other stuff. For example these are the app icon ideas I went trough. At the beginning I wanted to have only the heart in the middle, but on the iPhone it didn’t look quite good. Then I started to mix backgrounds until I inadvertently created a Defendo meme (the colors reflect Defendo themes palette). So I went back to the minimalism of the game in nr. 8. Still I was unhappy as it was not interesting enough. After some glow additions I finally found the Icon I really liked nr. 11.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 01:10:25 pm by petersdream »
@petersdreamgame

petersdream

Defendo has been approved by Apple!
Soon you will see it at the App Store. I will let you know when.

@petersdreamgame

petersdream

So, Defendo was approved all seemed well and... I took down Defendo from the App Store.
I must say I am very happy with this decision, even if it sounds awkward.

I will now shift the game to a freemium model so it will be available to much more people.
I've taken it down so quickly as I did not want to damage any buyers of the game.

In the future Defendo will be a full experience with adds or you will have the chance to take them down with a price.

Thank you all for following and I wish you luck with your games!
@petersdreamgame

petersdream

And here I am back with Defendo.
In the last two months I changed the structure of the game from paid to free, and finally all is working now.

I made sure that the free model was not frustrating because of the ads, and also I had the time to look back to some aspects like the app icon.
One thing that I understood is that the icon was not a very "game icon" because it did not say pretty much anything of the game.
So I want back to all my design and started to make some big changes. Eventually I was really satisfied with nr 16

I also added a new splash screen:

Now I am exporting and sending all to iTunes connect.
Hopefully in the next week it will be eligible for review.
@petersdreamgame

petersdream

And here we go, Defendo is waiting for review!

@petersdreamgame

petersdream

Defendo the reflex odyssey is out on iOS!

You can play the full game for free with ads or pay as much as you want to play without ads.

Download the game for iPhone & iPod touch:
https://itunes.apple.com/app/defendo-the-reflex-odyssey/id1075834920?mt=8

Help Defendo in his odyssey to reach the safe zone by keeping away the enemy shapes.

Defendo is my first commercial game.
For now you can find it only at the App Store.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYYS3bHe50g

http://www.defendogame.com

Features

* 30 increasingly difficult levels
* 3 extra mini games
* Game Center score, Achievements and leaderboards
* Stats and share
* Minimalist and colorful graphics
* Original Electronic music
* Simple game mechanics thanks to single tap gameplay
* Challenging and rewarding
* Improves your reflexes with prolonged gameplay

By playing you support a small independent game developer that simply loves to create games.

Have fun!
@petersdreamgame

tigerteeth

I am really curious to play this, apart from anything else because i have no idea how it works. Android version??

petersdream

I am really curious to play this, apart from anything else because i have no idea how it works. Android version??

Hi tigerteeth, nope for now no Android, but who knows what the future reserves...
@petersdreamgame