Super Dangerous Dungeons! [Dangerous Dungeons remake coming to iOS and Android]

AdventureIslands

I started developing games around 4 years ago after I discovered Stencyl, and the first game I made was a Flash title Dangerous Dungeons, Still playable here: http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/4102

It’s a precision platformer where you control the little treasure hunter Timmy through series of dungeons, full of traps and puzzles. Timmy needs to carefully reach a key that opens the goal door of the level and reach it without hitting anything deadly, as everything kills him from one hit.

Being my first game, it’s very rough around the edges, with wonky jumping physics and insane difficulty level, but I have fondness for the game, and I’ve decided to make a complete remake of it! Dangerous Dungeons returns with 4 years of gamedev experience backing it. Everything will be redone from scratch, the art, music, physics. Even the original game’s composer KungFuFurby returns, entirely redoing the old soundtrack!

The game is currently planned for iOS and Android. Levels will mostly be the same, but adjusted to fit mobile and edited to better fit new jumping physics and to be less unforgiving in general. Each dungeon also gets a new level, and there will be one entirely new dungeon to conquer.

Currently, I’ve finished the entire first dungeon, including the boss and secret area, and I’m working on the second dungeon right now. I hope to finish the game in next 1-2 months or so.

Here's a comparison of the art styles of the original game and the remake:

Screens:

« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 02:55:20 pm by AdventureIslands »

merrak

New art style looks great! Timmy seems to have the same adventurous spirit as Duke Dashington.

Hectate

:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

dtrungle

Good stuff! The new art looks so much happier/brighter and the individual objects stand out a lot more. :)

AdventureIslands

Funny, Touch Arcade already wrote about the game based on my tumblr post.
http://toucharcade.com/2015/06/12/tiny-dangerous-dungeons-developer-adventure-islands-announces-new-old-game-dangerous-dungeons/

I've finished about half of the water area. Here's a comparison of the original game's Water Dungeon VS. the Remake's.

Photon

Maybe its just me (and considering art is your forte that's a very big possibility,) but the colors seem a bit oversaturated.

Even then, it still looks great. I remember finding this game and burning off an afternoon playing and beating it. Looking forward to seeing the progress!
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

AdventureIslands

Been making some nice progress with the water dungeon, and I have 8 rooms finished. Just 2 more regular levels, 1 secret level and boss fight, and then I have 2 full dungeons finished.

In the original game, dungeons consisted of 9 regular levels,1 secret level, and a bossfight, but in the remake, each dungeon gets one completely new level, so each dungeon will have 10 regular levels, bossfight, and secret level. There is also going to be 4th completely new dungeon not seen in the original game.

Secret levels are harder and longer levels and with their entrances hidden somewhere in the regular levels. Completing them earns you a crystal. Getting all 4 crystal is required to opening the game's final door to the final boss and ending.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:44:56 am by AdventureIslands »

AdventureIslands

App Spy plays a demo version of Dangerous Dungeons! Starts at around 8:00 http://www.twitch.tv/appspy/v/6499576

Donni11

-snip-
Awesome to hear ! The original was totally awesome and so I can't wait to see what this is going to look like :) !

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 07:48:59 am by AdventureIslands »
Peace

AdventureIslands

I've finished the second dungeon now, boss and secret level 'n all. That makes 24 levels finished out of planned 48. So I'm about half way through the project now.

Here's some art from the second boss. How he looked in original game vs how he looks in the remake

Photon

Really nice revamp of the squid... octopus... wait, did you change its species between versions? :o

Although I kind of miss the cheeky, crazed smile of the original one. The new one's not bad of course, just different. However, it looks weird in that second gif how the darkened water makes it look like the squid body just stops shortly below the surface. The illusion isn't necessarily working for me in that regard.
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

AdventureIslands

Really nice revamp of the squid... octopus... wait, did you change its species between versions? :o

Although I kind of miss the cheeky, crazed smile of the original one. The new one's not bad of course, just different. However, it looks weird in that second gif how the darkened water makes it look like the squid body just stops shortly below the surface. The illusion isn't necessarily working for me in that regard.

I mainly changed his design because the old one's grin freaked me out. Ahaha. I also thought that his design was bit boring being just a round head, so I made him more squid like to give him some shape.

The darkened water is a bit of neccessary evil because I didn't want to make his sprites any larger than they already are.

AdventureIslands

I've been working on the 3rd dungeon of the remake, which will be fire and lava themed. I've finished 7 levels now, and need to finish 3 normal levels, secret level, and boss fight and this dungeon is complete. Afterwards I will work on a brand new 4th dungeon that will consist entirely of new levels not found in the original game.

Here's a gif and screenshots of the fire dungeon.

I've also been thinking of name change. Right now the remake is simply titled "Dangerous Dungeons", but I want it to stand out from the original game and Tiny Dangerous Dungeons. I've been thinking of changing the name to Super Dangerous Dungeons, a throwback to SNES era of gaming. What do you think?

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 04:00:50 pm by AdventureIslands »

Hectate

I like it. Is Dangerous Dungeons 64 next? ;)
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.