Medium Attack Rate

4) Bomber
High Attack Points
High Miss Rates
Medium Defense
High-Ranged
Slow Attack Rate

ceosol

Good stuff. I like the different styles attached to character attributes.

What are you proposing for game mechanics to fit in the "short-range, fast attack rate" type attributes?

GameDev408

Good stuff. I like the different styles attached to character attributes.

What are you proposing for game mechanics to fit in the "short-range, fast attack rate" type attributes?

Honestly, I think I don't have a thorough idea of the game's mechanics. I assumed this was something similar to, "Empires and Allies." Do you have any other game that follows similar mechanics and gameplay that I can look at, please? Thanks!

ceosol

Do you have any other game that follows similar mechanics and gameplay that I can look at, please? Thanks!

Oh, no, it was not a travian type game (one of the first city building war games). I would not be against working on something like that, though.

GameDev408

Do you have any other game that follows similar mechanics and gameplay that I can look at, please? Thanks!

Oh, no, it was not a travian type game (one of the first city building war games). I would not be against working on something like that, though.

Sorry for my misunderstand. Do you know of any game that may relate to your idea?

ceosol

Not that come to mind.

TheeSeaverShow

This is interesting.. cant way to see how it progresses. I never thought about doing gestures like this..

ceosol

I worked out my time weight method adequately :)

After the distance is weighted against time, here's the result in the screenshot:
Power level of the attack will have a 2.88 multiplier
The ability associated with the attack will be 2.49 times as effective
There will be a 1.98 second combo timer running

If the player can perform another attack within the 1.98 seconds, the two characters will perform a joint attack (or two more attacks while both of the first characters are still charging will cause all four to attack). I want to add a couple more elements to the prototype before embedding a version into this thread.

Thanks for all of the comments. I was not expecting an idea that I came up with while in agony from a migraine would actually generate interest. :)

« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 09:55:12 pm by ceosol »

ceosol

I'm working on combo attacks. I wanted to draw the symbols on top of the characters. However, the image api doesn't have lines. I figured the easiest way would be to draw the same lines and shrink it as an image. Instead, I'm making little power-meter bar graphs. The player will see the heroes used in the combo attack and how their powers are stacking up. Its only at 2 heroes right now, but I shouldn't have too much trouble expanding it to all 4.

Once that is done, I think I will test the prototype on iOS to see if the system actually functions.

ceosol

Finished up the four character combo attack. I don't have controls for missing combos in there:

1. When the first, second or third timers run out, it should end the combo and initiate the attack sequence.
2. If a hero already involved in the combo is used again, the combo should end and initiate the attack sequence.
3. If a combo is missed while a gesture is being performed (either from time or reusing a hero), if should start a new combo sequence while the previous attack is being executed.

Even without those in place, I think the prototype deserves to be tested on mobile. I'll get that together tomorrow and let you know how it turns out.

ceosol

The iOS test worked. The trace detection was perfect. However, it looks like time calculation was rounding to the nearest second, which doesn't work for my needs. I'll see if I can figure out another method of counting that doesn't require "do every" for time.

merrak

That's peculiar. I suppose you could always count frames, and divide by the frame rate. I think some of the older behaviors that used to come with Stencyl even had a block for this, but it could always be accessed with code.

ceosol

Yeah, counting frames would work. I just don't want to take up processing power with something unnecessary. Using getTime() I could easy take different time points. In flash it gives you the milliseconds. Everything ends with 000 in iOS :(

It would all be fine if the gestures took a few seconds to perform, but some of the movements might happen immediately back-to-back. If two lines are produced within 1/100th of a second of each other, even framerate won't help.

ceosol

I think I'm going to work on this concept for the Humble Bundle game jam. Since the jam rules state that assets may be used, but the coding has to be new, I am starting over on the gestures. This run through, I'm starting out by make it an eight directional system instead of 4. Luckily, I just referenced this type of mechanic for merrak in his isometric game. All I have to do is make "angular" hitboxes for the diagonal gesture strokes.

ceosol

Ooo, this is kind of ugly. I need to have boundaries of y = x + 7 and y = x - 7 (if I am going for ~20 pixel hitbox). If anybody is looking at that like I'm crazy, keep in mind the +/- 7 is along the y axis. The 20 pixels of the hitbox are angled on the y = -x diagonal.

I have the detection for which direction of the 8 directions you are going, but I don't have the hitboxes created. I'll have to try working on that tomorrow when I have some brain power back :)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 07:01:48 am by ceosol »