In search of a team

rrzl

15% of the profit only when the actual product is launch, doesn't sound that great for an Experienced Developer.
What if for some reason the game is canceled? Or the game flops?
What then? 15% from zero?
For a newbie perhaps this wouldn't be so much of a problem, since they need the experience anyway.

If you can't put the money upfront, but still want an experienced devs.
The only way I can see this going forward is to sign a contract (legal agreement).
Where it is set clearly, that the developer will be paid after every milestone. (Not after the game is complete.)
The contract can be set for every stages. If along the way at some point, there's a bit of a conflict in the team,
at least you still have some of the milestones complete, and you can just get a new replacement.
The developer on the other hand, is already paid for the amount of their contribution.
To me, this is way better approach. Both parties are protected.
Since you are only looking for people in the same country. This shouldn't be a problem.

I see you are working hard trying to get a(n) developer, but I would suggest writing a more detailed post or learn how to make games with Stencyl yourself, or make a legitimate offer that experienced Stencylers will want to agree upon.

Marqness

Thank you for your personal input. We are putting a lot of faith into those who want to be a part of the team. I own several businesses and if you understood that the EXAMPLE of 15% is extremely high. Owners and their companies make up to 110% profits off their merchandise and if they have a lot of employees, and pay them such high percentage, there will be no money left to pay off the expenses that are due to keep the company afloat. You get the idea. The purpose of the post is to recruit a team and that the team will be able to work together on the first project. It shouldn't take a lot of time to create the game and its contents. We're looking for people to see this as a hobby... for now. Again, its a choice.
I am not going to pay people "halfway" through a job and then have them quit on me and then I myself don't have anything to sell. It works both ways. Having a developer take over for another developer, or any user, will not be compatible. If there is someone that quits on us halfway through, we don't want them on our team anyway. Again, its a team effort and a choice.
I am familiar with stencyl and the components and I think that Stencyl is a great tool. Otherwise I wouldn't advertise on the forums, I would take this elsewhere. I would like to credit Stencyl as we publish the game. As for working hard to find developers, this is the first day of the post and legitimate offers are being discussed as we speak. We have several individuals already inquiring about the team and wanting to be part of a "possible" growing company. Please keep in mind, we're not searching for full-time artists, developers, etc. We're searching for people to work together as a team for a minimal of a few hours a week until the game is published. Then we can discuss the next project, goals, budget, time frame, etc.
     Yes it may not work, nothing is guaranteed. If the team is having fun and want to give it another go with ideas on the table, then lets do it. However, if it does work and next thing you know you're putting profits in your pocket from working a few hours a week, and part of a growing team. Then you know it was worth the time.

ceosol

Like I said before, I was very interested in contacting you. However, your evasiveness in your responses makes me not trust you. Please give us some details on the game. Is there a similar game already on the market?

there will be no money left to pay off the expenses
What expenses? You are not paying salaries, you are not paying milestones, you are not paying for any development software. The artists and developers would all be paying their own expenses and you are getting a free game made for you.

It shouldn't take a lot of time to create the game and its contents.
Games do take a lot of time to develop. If you have a project that needs - what at least 5 people? (15%*5 + 25% for "expenses") - and you only want people to work a few hours a week, then you are talking about the project taking 6 months or even a few years to complete.

I am not going to pay people "halfway" through a job and then have them quit on me
That is why rrzl said to make a contract. If they quit after getting paid and give you nothing, then there is a threat of legal action. The least you could do is put funds into an escrow account with the condition of releasing the money upon completion of the milestone or the entire project. The developers would be much happier knowing that the promised money does exist. WE are at risk of you quitting halfway, too. You need to be more lenient and meet up somewhere in the middle.

budget
Again, what budget? The artists and programmers already have their tools that they paid for out of their own pockets.

Yes it may not work, nothing is guaranteed.
This is exactly why you need to be a little bit more transparent. Give us some information, any information, to let us know that we would not be wasting our time. If you are running multiple businesses, then you have to have some marketing strategy to keep them afloat. Tell us something about that.

Marqness

I appreciate you taking the time cutting and pasting the remarks made earlier today. Please reread the original forum as the answers are there for you. There are no evasiveness in the answers I provide. I have already provided information pertaining to the game via email to interested parties. I do not wish to disclose this information on the forums because someone could take it and sell the idea.
The expense is just an example, as I stated earlier. We take care of those who needs the help.
You cannot tell me how long a game takes to develop because you have no idea what type of game it is.
Using legal action via web is very costly and takes up a lot of time. In other words, not  worth it. If someone doesn't like the arrangements discussed via email, no big deal. We'll move on to the next person, its their choice.
The budget, *sigh* again is disclosed earlier with an example of how the team would operate. It is discussed that the team may want to bring additional resources to the table, thus creating a budget in the future.
I don't need to discuss our other businesses because its irrelevant to the discussion, however I did quote that this first game is well liked by many teenagers and men. (You're going to ask, "how do you know"? because we've already tested a raw version of it, and no, we're not providing the game on forums)
I've tried to answer the questions, if you don't trust me, then there is nothing I can do for you. I can understand your concerns and have addressed them as best as I could. As I said earlier, there are already several inquiries asking questions on email and we're more than happy to answer the questions and established ideas in the general realm of games. There are a lot of developers that are already interested and I'm sincerely sorry that you felt like we've turned you away. Good luck with your games and have a GREAT day! erm, evening! : )

letmethink

What experience do you have in the games industry. You mention working with Stencyl. Do you have anything to share relating to that. Do you have any completed projects you can share that you have already managed.

If not, I think it is unreasonable that you are asking for experienced developers when you don't have the experience.
~Letmethink

GeorgeN

I have already provided information pertaining to the game via email to interested parties. I do not wish to disclose this information on the forums because someone could take it and sell the idea.

Nobody sells ideas.

You cannot tell me how long a game takes to develop because you have no idea what type of game it is.

Exactly, you are asking people to work for you for free but no details on what exactly.

(You're going to ask, "how do you know"? because we've already tested a raw version of it, and no, we're not providing the game on forums)

When you finish the game please, but please don't sell it on internet, people my clone your game.

Also take a look here : http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,671.0.html

koopke

I think you should open a new post and change the approach a little bit if you really looking for some quality people.
I would go on something more like...

"
"Hay guys, my name is ***
I have cool Idea for a game and me and a bunch of friends were decided to make it happen.
were looking for awesome people to join our team and we will share revenues and beer if everything will go acording to the plane...
If you have some spare time and willing to help , send email to **** and we continue from there.
best regards
"

that's basically The approach I would try  :P

anyway like I sayd before, I really wish you good luck with the project

Blaziken8x

(You're going to ask, "how do you know"? because we've already tested a raw version of it, and no, we're not providing the game on forums)
Looking at the image that you provided in the first post, it seems like calling it raw would be an understatement.

Marqness

That was intentional my friend. I'm not a big fan of disclosing a lot on the forums. I apologize.

Marqness

I have already submitted the GDD to several inquiries via email. So far have had a great response. Again, all you have to do is ask via email. The more people are wanting all the details on the forums, the more I suspect they want to sell it or copy it.
As for leading, I'm not going to lead. I'm going to assist the team. I'm sure as a leader standpoint that the people wish the President had military experience. Your boss isn't always going to have your expertise, but he/she has the abilities to do other things to support his/her crew. At least that is how it should be. You get the idea. BUT with that in mind, the team is going to make the decisions together. A developer may want to lead the group and he/she may have the greatest ideas, and that would be beneficial to the group. As to selling the game, someone may have ideas that they may want to go about. From obtaining a patent to sales in merchandise. Everyone sells "ideas", its how a product comes about. You're selling a game, the game came from an idea.
*smiles* If I used that kind of approach koopke, I wouldn't be recruiting any quality people. It was funny though. : ) I'm a published author and all of the misspelling drove me nuts! lol. I hope you were kidding. If you're intending to ridicule, I guess you were trying to make a point?
All decisions are made by the team. Speaking of which, we still need 1 or 2 more. I've already created some of the animations. If an artist wants to join, feel free to send an email. marqness@hotmail.com
Have a GREAT day and God bless.

Alexin

Quote from: Marqness
The more people are wanting all the details on the forums, the more I suspect they want to sell it or copy it.
Sharing details to any "interested" party via private emails does not prevent it to steal your intellectual property.

You will fare better without that paranoia of yours. Concerning the other members, they should simply ignore this topic if they don't like it.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Marqness

Thank you Alexin for your last two sentences.
Unless you're a psychologist diagnosing a total stranger on his methods of recruiting and content sharing, its not a "paranoia" lol. That statement was uncalled for.
I'm just preventing what had happened to me and so many others in the past. There have been reports of people being scammed on forums. Just because someone chooses a different route doesn't mean they're paranoid.
Have a GREAT day!

koopke

If I used that kind of approach koopke, I wouldn't be recruiting any quality people. It was funny though. : ) I'm a published author and all of the misspelling drove me nuts! lol. I hope you were kidding. If you're intending to ridicule, I guess you were trying to make a point?

Yea not everyone speaks English as mother togue... but im sure you got my point  ;)

Marqness

Thank you all for your questions and comments. Team opening selection process and screening will start on Wednesday. We will have the team selected by the end of the week. If there is any positive interest in the team position, or questions they will be answered by email from this day forth. Again thank you for your comments and questions and have a GREAT week. Good luck, and game on!
Who do YOU live for?