Indies vs Gamers GameJolt Jam

letmethink

PewDiePie, Markiplier, & Jacksepticeye are looking for a challenge.

http://jams.gamejolt.io/indiesvsgamers?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=IvG%20Announce%20Devs

This seems fun. I must implement GameJolt quickly.
~Letmethink

colburt187

Does the Gamejolt leaderboard work with stencyl?

ETHproductions

According to the API documentation, it's based off of HTTP GET/POST requests, which (AFAIK) are doable with Stencyl. It may be a good idea for me (or someone else, if they so desire) to get an extension made for this purpose, so that any Stencyler who wants to join this jam can, without much trouble.
Fontstruct - Stencyl - Website (in progress)

Proud Member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

letmethink

I've got the start of one with leaderboards just implemented based off of this: https://github.com/HaxeFlixel/flixel-addons/blob/master/flixel/addons/api/FlxGameJolt.hx
~Letmethink

colburt187

cool, nice work guys.

ETHproductions

@letmethink: That seems like a great place to start! Are you creating a full-blown extension, or just messing with blocks/code for now?

Also, I just looked through that code, and found this several times:

Do NOT store your private key as a string literal in your game!

Have you created a workaround for this, or are you currently using it as a string?

Proud Member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

letmethink

i've read on workarounds, but not tried with any yet. I'm hoping to make a full blown extension (I currently have it working for initialising and submitting a score to the main leaderboard).
~Letmethink

irock

A GameJolt extension would be cool. I've considered looking into it but never got around to it.

letmethink

@letmethink: That seems like a great place to start! Are you creating a full-blown extension, or just messing with blocks/code for now?

Also, I just looked through that code, and found this several times:

Do NOT store your private key as a string literal in your game!

Have you created a workaround for this, or are you currently using it as a string?

I thought about this a bit more, and I decided it meant don't store it as an attribute or another variable that can be recalled by the user (so store it in a hidden file for desktop games). I am currently only building this extension for flash (as that is the simplest and is what I use) so as long as you just enter plaintext in the block i have created to initialise GameJolt, it 'should' be fine.

For other people, do you think I should prepare a 'How to' guide before publishing the extension, or just leave it be and publish it first?
~Letmethink

ETHproductions

If you would like, I'll polish up the extension before you post it. A how-to guide would be great as well, especially with the jam coming up at the end of the month.

GameDev408

[WARNING: Off Topic Statement]

I love how everyone here is an expert or a master. :-)

Photon

[WARNING: Off Topic Statement]

I love how everyone here is an expert or a master. :-)
I like the combo breaker.
Do NOT PM me your questions, because I likely will not respond. If I have replied to your question on the forum, keep using that topic. Thanks!

DarkWater5

The Jam starts in just two days. Any progress on a  GameJolt extension?

RengadeQuarters

Was this extension finished 

letmethink

Was this extension finished 
I am not home until ~8pm GMT (7 hours from posting this). When I do I will post it up. I was struggling to get retrieving scores and medals to work.

It will include initiating gamejolt, posting a score to a scoreboard, and unlocking a medal. I was hoping to achieve more for a first release, but alas I am out of time.
~Letmethink