{Tutorial} How to attach a installer to your extension & How to use it ....

Donni11

Hello Stencylers :) !  This is a tutorial how to attach a installer to your Extension and How to use it with Stencyl !

Note : Installer only works with Windows

How To Attach A Installer To Your Extension :
                                                                                            ( for the user who created the extension )

1. Download and Installer a program called NSIS (Nullsoft Scriptable Install System) from http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page

2. After the download open NSIS :

3 . When you open NSIS you should see a DashBoard like this :

4. Click on the text that says " Installer Based On ZIP File " :

5. A window should appear that looks like this :

6. Click on the " Open " button and select your zip file ( extension ) :

7. Then click on generate .

8 . Another window should appear, wait while it loads and then click close :

9. You should now have a installer on your desktop the same name as the zip file :

10. Upload the installer to your Stencyl forums extension post and your good to go :) ! Congratulations you have just created a Stencyl extension with a installer :) !

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How To Use Installer :
                                                                                                    ( for users downloading the extension )
1. Download the extension installer from wherever the download page is .

2 After it downloads , click on it and this window should appear :

3. Click on " Install " ( don't change the destination folder !!!) .

4. After its done installing the extension a folder ( not a zip folder ) should appear on your desktop.

Now follow the instructions on how to How to Install, Enable and Update an Extension from there.

Bonus ( for advanced users ) : You could also set it to install right into Stencyl instead :

1. In the installer window change the destination folder to :
C:\Documents and Settings\Your user name\Application Data\Stencyl\stencylworks\engine-extensions

2 . Click Install. Now there is no need to install anything else it's all installed into Stencyl !

=================================================================================================

« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:26:35 am by Donni11 »
Peace

robinschaafsma

Donni,

Why should we use this?

4. After its done installing the extension a folder ( not a zip folder ) should appear on your desktop.

Now follow the instructions on how to How to Install, Enable and Update an Extension from there.
Is the zip file in the folder thats appear on your desktop? If not, you cannot use the instructions. The instructions allows you to have a zip file.

Despite your good intentions, I don't see the benefits of using this. Or  you can convince me of it.
(i'm on a mac, so i can't use it anyway )

Donni11

Well for Mac there is no difference , but for windows it could be easier to just install it right into Stencyl ( see bonus ). There are also a ton of reasons on the internet why it's better to have a installer rather than a zip file.
Peace

Justin

Donni, your installer amounts to nothing more than a zip unextractor. I see no benefit to it.

For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 8am and midnight Japan time. (GMT+9)

robinschaafsma

I am still not convince Donni, as Justin says its nothing more than a zip unextractor, Stencyl does that for you.

I see also no benefit to it.

Donni11

True , their are not so many benefits from the installer. But it's useful because its easy for beginners who just started coding and are still using the basics in computing, it also make a extension more user friendly.
Peace

rob1221

The default way of installing extensions:
Download extension ZIP
Open Stencyl and click install extension

That's not easy for beginners or user friendly?

Donni11

Of course its  easy for beginners and user friendly :) ! What I mean is for big extension which require a lot of file movement and placing a lot of different files in different part of Stencyl interface a installer could be useful.
Peace