Advice on faster Windows builds

wahmpire

Ten months into a game, and I'm running into near 40 minute fresh build times.  It's fine for subsequent tests after the build, but anytime a new actor/image/scene is added Im waiting the whole thing over again.  What can I do to trim that down?  The game folder is only 190mb, and only ~60mb for a full game build.  My concern is, Im only half way through what will be the final content.  I have a 3770k i7...would a processor upgrade help?  Already running with max ram with the java .bat tweak.   Windows is the target platform, so switching to Flash is not an option.  Thanks for any advice!

Justin

If you have the latest version, go into [workspace]/prefs/boot.txt, set cppia.enabled=true, and test on the "Cppia" export rather than Windows. It's still experimental, and you may need to run Stencyl as admin the first time (still trying to figure this one out). It should be a little bit quicker than a fresh compile, and then any subsequent builds should be pretty fast. (For example, a game that took 34 minutes to compile fresh now compiles in 2 minutes every time.)

For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 8am and midnight Japan time. (GMT+9)

wahmpire

Wowwwww. From 40 to 6 minutes!  Thanks so much!

Justin

No problem. If I ever have the time, I'll be looking at cutting those 6 minutes down too.

Donni11

So is that Stencyl trick of making all the builds faster :)  ? Like in this post (from the Build 8495 - August 10, 2015 update ):
One area to look forward to in the future is a speedup of the long first compile times for native and mobile targets. It's not ready for public consumption yet, but the initial results are promising. A very large project went down from a 34 minute compile to 2 minutes.

Does this work with all operating systems ? And also how does it work ?
Peace

wahmpire

Thanks for all of the work you do for improving Stencyl Justin.  Here's some quick feedback in case it is helpful:
I didn't need to launch with admin rights
The only quirk I've discovered so far is that Stencyl will occasionally pop up with "Compiling..." when switching to different resources, and "Compiling..." sometimes continues in the background after the test is launched and running.  Overall, no major problems.

Justin

@Donni11: Right now it's just for desktop builds, but eventually we'll expand it to work for mobile as well. In fact, we may be able to use this to allow iOS device testing from Windows/Linux.

When this feature is ready for general use (after I've fixed quirks like the one wahmpire mentioned) I'll post more about what it is and how it's different from a standard export. For now though, it's enough to think of it as a quick way to test that's slightly less powerful than a full compile, and not meant for publishing games.