Am I being ridiculous? Stencyl for non-game design

wahmpire

I'm thinking about attempting to use Stencyl for SQL reporting at work.  I've yet to find a nice looking report builder with animations and all the cool things I could do with Stencyl.  The biggest hurdle is building a SQL connector to pass in the query results to Stencyl, but I imagine I can do that the same way Stencyl could grab info from a webpage if I set it  up server side.  Im eagerly awaiting how html5 support works out, but in the meantime it would just be a flash export in an iframe that would look like a reporting webpage with charts and graphs.  Anyone attempt anything like this?  Is using Stencyl to basically make a webpage even feasible?

ajimundi

As it happens, my current Stencyl  project is an application, although not in the scope you describe. Stencyl excels in the graphics department, but designing common non-game interface really isn't its strong suit. My app's interface is graphic al for the most part, but I do need the occasional text input box, menus, etc. It's quite a task to implement. I'd say for the type of app you describe, you'd be better off using something like Adobe Air.

As for SQL, IIRC haxe supports database programming, so I suppose it is possible to implement it as an extension for Stencyl.
::: It's never too late, unless you're dead. Maybe not even then. :::

ceosol

Stencyl excels in the graphics department, but designing common non-game interface really isn't its strong suit.

I disagree with this. Stencyl is Haxe. Anything Haxe can do, Stencyl can do. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adhikari.destinyapp has nothing to do with graphics or animation. Also, joraanpe (I don't know if he's still doing it) was creating an app for local businesses linking up information from each into one place that also had nothing to do with graphics.

@wahmpire, from what I know, flash has trouble sending/receiving to outside servers. For instance, a game in the stencyl arcade could access stencyl.com. So if you are attempting it, just make sure that the flash/iframe is on the same server as your php/mysql and it should work fine. The other way to do it is exporting as a standalone which would not have the same data transfer restrictions as flash.

merrak

As for non-game design, I actually got started with Stencyl using it to design classroom apps, and am currently using it to write a set of interactive  adaptive learning tutorials, demonstrations, etc. See math software development kit

I don't use SQL, but I have set up a simple server using PHP and the POST/GET blocks to handle incoming classwork submissions, student feedback, etc. Reporting and formatting of reports is handled as well.

For SQL, could you send a GET request to a PHP page that runs the actual query?

ajimundi

Stencyl excels in the graphics department, but designing common non-game interface really isn't its strong suit.

I disagree with this. Stencyl is Haxe. Anything Haxe can do, Stencyl can do. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.adhikari.destinyapp has nothing to do with graphics or animation. Also, joraanpe (I don't know if he's still doing it) was creating an app for local businesses linking up information from each into one place that also had nothing to do with graphics.

@wahmpire, from what I know, flash has trouble sending/receiving to outside servers. For instance, a game in the stencyl arcade could access stencyl.com. So if you are attempting it, just make sure that the flash/iframe is on the same server as your php/mysql and it should work fine. The other way to do it is exporting as a standalone which would not have the same data transfer restrictions as flash.

Did I say Stencyl can't do it? :) I merely stated that to create application interface would require more work, since most parts of the interface isn't gonna be, say, a simple three state button. Compare that to specific IDE where  creating a menu or toolbar are simply matters of API calls. Of course you can create a menu quickly with static animated actor tailored specifically for the purpose of a single application. But I was thinking in terms of reusability, where I can simply attach a behaviour that would built the interface I want; where, say, adding and removing a menu item would simply be a matter of adding/removing a label and a message.

Plus, I was also talking about using Stencyl in general. If you can write your own extension, of course anything is possible,
::: It's never too late, unless you're dead. Maybe not even then. :::

wahmpire

Oh that's better news than I expected!  The nice part about what I want to do is that it is all internal so iframe cross site permissions shouldnt be a nightmare.  Id definitely prefer to do this in HTML5 than Flash though, but I'll be patient on that.

Merrak, that's how I plan on attempting it.  Ill have a server side php script that triggers a stored procedure and then make sure the SQL is Stencyl friendly on its' returns.