Tips On Graphics Style?

Miasmos Games

Hi, I've been working on my game for a while now, but one thing that's been bothering me for ages is the quality of my graphics. I've being continually improving them over the course of development but they still don't look quite right, and I'm not entirely sure why, somebody offered to do graphics for me at one point (if you're reading this I'm sorry I sort of shrugged you off, but would love to work with you on a future project) but I said no (which I now regret) as I've invested time and effort into them, even if they aren't the best. I'd appreciate any help people could give on what I need to do to improve? The game is here, and the attachments contain some screens of my game. Thanks :D

Cupcake Bounce

Miasmos Games

Cupcake Bounce

katana

Maybe because the lines aren't smooth?
One of the two expert stencylers to have done precisely nothing to earn their title... Oh damn, he did something and got promoted. I need to get to work. Until then, I'm unique?
<Katana>: Blob: back me up :c
<Stevetheipad>: what's the "move pen to" block?
<Blob>: irock you are wrong
<Blob>: it's 2 against 1 we live in a democracy

Murad

Two major things I see: Inconsistent outlines and fonts. Eveything has a thick outline except the little pink squares and the gold thing. It just makes it look mismatched. As for the fonts, it just generally looks better to stick to the same font on a screen. It's less jarring. The smooth one looks good though.

Miasmos Games

Thank you both for your replies :) I see what you mean, hopefully I can fix those issues, but I still feel like there is just some big nagging thing that stops my stuff from looking professional, any ideas?

Cupcake Bounce

ericblak1947

The graphics look fine :) Style reminds me a bit off Kirby Epic yarn. Good job on the game looks pro!

Miasmos Games

Hey, thanks! I appreciate that, although one thing I might add is that I have a complete graphical redo that's nearly finished to a Beta level, so watch this space.....

Cupcake Bounce

Lecros

Yeah I quite like the style as well so I'm looking forward to your graphical redo o:

ericblak1947

Hey, thanks! I appreciate that, although one thing I might add is that I have a complete graphical redo that's nearly finished to a Beta level, so watch this space.....

Looking forward to the update. Do you have any other games that you have made?

magicpegasus

I think your graphic style looks great. Maybe commit to doing black outlines or not for everything, but other than that, it does look pretty professional.

Miasmos Games

Looking forward to the update. Do you have any other games that you have made?

Yeah! I'm currently helping another Stencyl user on a project for his arcade portal, but as well as that, I have a Beta version of a game called Pop! on miasmos.weebly.com/pop-beta.html I do have more coming, but for now my work is focused on finishing a long-awaited full release of Cupcake Bounce.

@magicpegasus Thanks! Part of the upgrade is that I've ironed out most of those sorts of inconsistencies, everything is now gradient-ish, thickly outlined and a lot nicer. All that's left is to redo my tile sets and I'll release it :D Thanks to both of you for taking such an interest!

EDIT: You know what, scratch that, I've decided to upload it in all it's unfinished glory. It's not entirely done yet, but I hope people like the new stuff and hopefully have some comments/feedback on it! :D

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:46:52 pm by Miasmos Games »

Cupcake Bounce

Lecros

The update looks pretty sweet. The only thing thas a little annoying is the fact that I keep clicking on the button back to the menu. But aside from that it looks really nice!

robogobodo

Excellent graphics a nice little gem of a game.
Check out my tutorials at www.youtube.com/finalbossgamers

Miasmos Games

Thanks to both of you! I can probably fix the little menu thing too, but overall great to hear such positive feed-back on it :D

Cupcake Bounce