Aw snap! Dialogues just vanished

dacaldera

First of all I want to say thank you for creating such an amazing dialogues system. Having said that, I recieved a "something went wrong" error, which happens usually when I use stencyl, maybe like 5 or 6 times per work session, so I just disregarded it without reading and closed it right away. I did not generate a log file. Well, this time the error appeared while I was dragging a dialog chunk into a folder....and then the dialog chunk disappeared even before I let go of the mouse button. It was nowhere to be found, not in the folder either. So then I closed the game and reopened it and ALL of the dialogue chunks were now missing. Vanished...just like that. The Dialogue structure files are still there thankfully, since I've spent hours customizing those. But the dialogue chunks are all gone. Not sure what to do about it. I closed stencyl for the night and I am writing this just moments before hitting the sack/going to bed, so If there is an error log I can generate, then just let me know which one and I will upload it in the morning.
-Dan

Justin

First off, let's see if the dialog is still saved somewhere that you can grab it from.

{stencyl workspace}\games\{game}\extra\[ext] dialog\dialog.txt (if it's still here, it might just be a minor error making it so it can't be read)
{stencyl workspace}\games-generated\{game}\Assets\data\[ext] dialog\dialog.txt (it might still be here if you haven't tested since the dialog went missing)

Otherwise, hopefully you have some backups you can grab it from.

Once that's done, you can open Stencyl to generate your logs with "Debug > Logs > Generate Logs". And if you figure out a way to reproduce the error 100% of the time, that might also help.

For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 8am and midnight Japan time. (GMT+9)

Justin

Another place to check is anywhere that you've exported your game for testing. If you exported to flash, you might be able to access the data with an swf decompiler, or if you exported for desktop it should be accessible as plain text.

{stencyl workspace}\games-generated\{game}\Export\{...}\bin\assets\data\[ext] dialog\dialog.txt

or anywhere else you've exported onto your computer.

For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 8am and midnight Japan time. (GMT+9)