YOUAREAJUMPINGPOTATO

Gemini

This game is just for fun mostly. Using the most barebones platformer pack, I've made an unpolished almost mario-clone.

Not really into adding a whole bunch of features. Less is more I guess...and Im mostly doing this so I have one solo project that I can complete to the end....and as a part of a series of small games I plan to make to beef up the multimedia section of my portfolio

All graphics and sound are my own creation.

Recently published to Kongregate as a pre-release demo teaser of sorts. Play it here
http://www.kongregate.com/games/eightbitben/youareajumpingpotato-demo
And please for the love of food rate and comment

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/10105

KNOWN BUGS

Some collision issues when walking across breakable blocks

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 09:49:44 pm by Gemini »

coleislazy

The graphics are really nice! They're a nod to Mario, but not trying to copy him.

The controls are a little funky. Sometimes I can't jump while moving to the right.

Making stomping enemies and breaking bricks feel a little more "solid" would help a lot.

Overall, this is probably one of the best platformers I've seen come from Stencyl lately. Good job!

Alexin

You stated there are bugs and its unpolished, but I agree with coleislazy.
"Find the fun"
alexin@stencyl.com

Gemini

Thanks kindly!

Yeah the moving and jumping bug is something I must address.

Im going to add a little recoil-hop to enemy stomping sometime quite soon, which should help with the enemy stomp in general.

I totally hear what you're saying about the brick needing to feel more solid. Trying to find out a creative way to do so. Part of me wants to make the destructable bricks decay with X amounts of collisions from the potato...like busting rocks up in minecraft, or the repeater coin bricks in SMB

Have a couple of more basic functionality things I plan on working on before I go too crazy fine tuning the things mentioned however. Bombs, invincibility, and a coin counter are big on the list right now.

Im trying to use this to re-immerse myself in Stencyl. Hopefully I can take what I learn, and remember, and use it to apply to a revamp of an old Stencyl project from before the flash conversion that I abandoned (NANO, if anyone remembers)

Jon

You seem to like Super Mario Land quite a bit don't you? It reminded me of that, not just in the style byt in the game elements. I like it a lot though!

Gemini

The mario and megaman-esque platformers were a pretty big mainstay in my childhood. Along with ninja turtles, my BMX, and He-Man Figures, I was pretty much raised on that stuff :)

coleislazy

I think you just described like 80% of the Stencyl team's childhood.

Gemini

Yep. There's a reason I get along with those dudes.

Hectate

Coleislazy has it right :)
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Gemini

Updated.... four levels in total (3 linear, 1 hidden)

New powerup added.

2 music tracks added.
(the title and level intro screens contain the new tracks...all other tracks are place holders. Once the final version is released, the entire score will have actual sampled drum loops and the low-res synth)

It should be noted that there are still bugs, and its still a bit unpolished.

Adding a known bug list to the first post of this thread

Gemini

min update

new areas added

new powerup: Bomb

Level one Boss added

Toast bug fixed
Changed gravity in one of the secret areas, mostly for arbitrary reasons

Gemini

Rebuilt the game, and re-did all the tiles and sprites. Now using the Advanced Jump and Run kit.

The control sucking factor is down significantly.

Three levels are made. Im sure some bugs are hiding around somewhere.

New powerups have been added. Cleaned up a lot of my behaviors and how they function together.

Should be able to have something polished and resembling an "official" demo release within the week.

Also....Sorry Rhys.

Jon

Although the game plays a lot better now, I sorta liked the old graphics. The gameboy palette had a sort of charm to it that the new graphics, though nice, don't capture.

Gemini

I totally get what you are saying. I think for some of the visual candy and game progression I have planned, I was working myself into a sort of graphical corner with the old style.

I still have plans on using many of those old tiles for certain bonus and unlockable areas however.