Deadshot (Available on Steam)

ceosol

Now available on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/438030

About a year ago, I started up my second collaboration project. I saw that ridhwaan08 was looking for help on a schmup game called Point Blank.  It was a very enjoyable project. I learned a lot about platformer mechanics. I also started enjoying making enemy AI mechanics. Eventually, the progress on the project began to slow down. Then, Ridhwaan got into final exams and I delved into contract work. Work on the project pretty much ceased.

Fast forward to yesterday. I was talking to an English publisher, New Reality Games (@NewRealityGames), and they asked us to resurrect the project. Ridhwaan and I had tossed names back and forth and decided to change the game name to Deadshot. The game is mostly done.

The current build can be found at: http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/32593

Game modes:
Single player endless - Hordes of simple AI opponents will wither you down.
Single player versus - No holds barred battle royal between you and a smarter AI opponent (I have some trouble beating him).
Local coop endless - You and a friend will take out the enemy hordes together (or turn on each other).
Local versus - You and your friend have duels to your heart's content.

Art:
    -Pause Menu [Done]
    -Controls Menu [Done]
    -Options Menu [Done]
    -Credits Screen [Done]
    -Char Select Screen[Done]
    -Redo Bomb art [Done]
    -Player HUD [Done]

-Versus Screen [Done]
            -Each Char[Done]
            -Backgrounds[Done]
    -Enemies + Enemy Animations [Done]
    -Tutorial [Done]
    -Logo[Done]

-^^Import everything above^^

Level Design:
    -All levels [Done]

Programming:
    -Make everything more intense [Done]
    -GUI/HUD implementation [Done]
    -Desktop Build (PC/Mac) [Done]

-Implement Music
    -Implement SFX [Done]
    -Single Player AI [Done]
    -Co-op stuff [Done]
    -Endless Mode [Done]

-Menu System [Done]

Sound:
    -Music---------------
    -Shooting SFX--------
    -Pickup SFX----------  Need to discuss adding/removing/changing
    -Running SFX---------     
    -Jumping SFX---------   

Extras:
    -Possibly Change Jumping Mechanics
    -Pause Menu in Game
    -Win Screen/Load Screen
    -Gamepad Controls
    -Tutorial Screens
    -Add a different (harder) endless enemy
    -Add gazer and slime enemies to the versus matches
    -Customized Keyboard Controls
    -Linux Build
    -Online Multiplayer
    -Mobile Version

« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 10:36:57 am by ceosol »

mdotedot

The control and reaction feel great.

I couldn't find a button to get back to the starting screen. It would helped if the scene and actors were selected default and you are allowed to change them. In-game help on the keys would help. Specially for the shoot-keys

Graphics are nice.

Best of luck with the project!
Hanging out in the Chat:  http://www.stencyl.com/chat/

Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

ceosol

Thank you for checking it out. I'll definitely put your advice on the to-do list!

Also, I will probably be picking your brain about the UDP multiplayer extension if we do go in that direction :)

merrak

AI works pretty well! Would including difficulty levels on the AI be feasible? I can see a wide variety of modes you could include--increasing difficulty, multiple opponents, etc.

It would be nice if the keys could be redefined. For single player, using only the right half of the keyboard feels clumsy.

colburt187

Gamepad/controller - If I can figure out how to do it

Let me know if you need some help with that, I've had 2 and 4 player gamepads working.

ceosol

AI works pretty well! Would including difficulty levels on the AI be feasible? I can see a wide variety of modes you could include--increasing difficulty, multiple opponents, etc.

It would be nice if the keys could be redefined. For single player, using only the right half of the keyboard feels clumsy.

The "easiest" way to make difficulties is to separate the AI components. Right now he flips every 15 seconds between defensive and aggressive. For different difficulties, I could have 100% defensive, 100% aggressive and then the normal mixed one.

Key mapping would be a good idea. I will add it to the list. Thanks!

Let me know if you need some help with that, I've had 2 and 4 player gamepads working.

Awesome, thank you.

ceosol

I started up a to-do list in the original post. I've added your suggestions in there.

Below are a couple of screenshots. The first shows the selection screen mid-revamping. Ridhwaan and I had talked about redoing the selection screen, but we were unsure of which direction to take it. After M.E. suggested having a default selection, I definitely wanted the screen to change. I have a new scene selection menu, but the character selection is not finished.

The second screenshot shows the Tomb (the new Egypt stage). I have the enemies spawning in the endless mode. Their AI is pretty basic. When they drop to a new ledge, there is a 50/50 shot at changing directions. Then they keep going in that direction until they run off of the ledge. I am not sure whether I want the player to die from falling off the bottom or just wrapping around the screen.

ceosol

Here are a few screenshots from the endless mode.

ceosol

Sorry for the lack of updates. Thanksgiving traveling threw off all of my plans.

Attached are some screenshots. They are all of the same level (waterfall), but highlighting the differences between the four game modes.
- Single Player Endless mode only has one character on the screen. Both endless modes have a pit in the bottom of the screen for the hordes of monsters to recycle to the top.
- Coop Multiplayer Endless mode has two human players on the screen (friendly fire is possible).
- Single Player Versus AI mode has two players on the screen with a flattened terrain for more intense combat.
- Multiplayer Versus mode faces the two human players against each other in a different style screen than the other modes without any pits to fall through at the bottom.

Since there are 5 stages and 3 version of each (both single and multi - endless are the same design), that means there will be 15 different levels in total.

I am super excited that my AI worked with pits. I was testing out different configurations to see how extreme I could make the versus AI level designs.  The pyramid level is the most advanced with 4 pits that the AI can manage to jump across.

ceosol

The minimum viable game is almost finished. So my contact at New Reality Games has started the marketing. Deadshot is now up for voting on Steam Greenlight. If you like how it looks or just want to help out please vote. Thanks!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=570946588

(Oh if you are wondering, the music in the background is by Warzone :) )

bobbyck

Gamepad - I was a bit intimidated by this as well, but it turns out I shouldn't have been. I used the link here - http://www.stencyl.com/help/view/gamepads

it only took me about an hour to figure this out and implement it with HARDCODED controls.

... But it did take me almost a day of brainstorming (away from pc) to figure out a way to be able to configure, re-configure, save and load custom configurations.

ceosol

Gamepad - I was a bit intimidated by this as well, but it turns out I shouldn't have been. I used the link here - http://www.stencyl.com/help/view/gamepads

it only took me about an hour to figure this out and implement it with HARDCODED controls.

... But it did take me almost a day of brainstorming (away from pc) to figure out a way to be able to configure, re-configure, save and load custom configurations.

Awesome. Thanks for that!

ceosol

I updated the link. The single player vs. AI and the multiplayer vs. each other versions are pretty much done. All I really need to do is test the level design to make sure ammo and health packs are appearing is the proper locations.

The single and coop endless modes are not complete you. You can actually enter the boards from either mode, but you can't kill or be killed. We are partnering with an indie game site. Hopefully tomorrow I will have PC and Mac beta versions ready to go.

SquarePug

Looking good, I voted on steam for it.

If you want any PC beta testers to try it out I'll be happy to give it a blast for you.
Twitter: @satchapps.

ceosol

Awesome, thank you. I do not know what the whole process will be like right now. This is all new territory (steam and working with a publisher).