Deadshot (Available on Steam)

ceosol

The game is still waiting in Greenlight. However, I am just about finished with the programming. The minimum viable version should be ready to go within a few days. Then, I need to start working on the various extras.

You can purchase the alpha versions (with access to all future updates) here: http://itch.io/search?q=dead6hot. It is not the most current version, but we wanted to get into a "Shooter" game collection.

ceosol

I am currently compiling the windows and mac versions. We finally have a minimum viable product. Now we just need to get greenlit :)

ceosol

I was just able to play the game with a PS3 controller. I am a little shocked that gamepads are so easy to set up. I get to check that off of the old to-do list :)

ceosol

I just noticed deadshot is part of a bundle package: http://www.epicbundle.com/bundle/dig-greenlight-bundle-04. It is not greenlit, yet, but we have a bunch of people voting.

I'm also working on a new scoreboard system to have multiple user profiles.

Ridhwaan is making shoes for the different characters. We're going to have their shoes left behind next to a tombstone when they die :)

tigerteeth

ceosol, did you ever play Jump n Bump? that was a cool game with a similar vibe.

ceosol

ceosol, did you ever play Jump n Bump? that was a cool game with a similar vibe.

Deadshot isn't a puzzle game like Jump n Bump is. Its simply a schmup :)

Oh and hey, we just got Greenlit! Thanks so much everyone who voted. We were in the top 10 of greendb for a bit.

rob1221

Wow, I was surprised to see this greenlit at first since I remember the comments section being dead when I last checked (only 3 pages), but it looks like you got a massive view increase starting Jan 8.  What caused that to happen?

ceosol

What caused that to happen?

I am not exactly sure. I felt the same way that you did last month. However, I was assured that it would be Greenlit eventually, whether it took six months or a year (one month was unexpected).

Getting it Greenlit was all on the publisher's side. I know he was putting it into various bundles and on sites like itch.io to get more greenlight exposure. He also got it into a few collections on Steam. Some of the comments look like he passed out a free version of the game somewhere. The commenters who mentioned getting a free game seemed to down vote it, so it must have just been a way to gain more visibility - good or bad.

I had finished the game in December, so it is up to the publisher now for distributing it. I have not had any other publishers for comparison, but Ross (from New Reality Games) seems to be pretty good. I would definitely work with him again.

tigerteeth

Deadshot isn't a puzzle game like Jump n Bump is. Its simply a schmup :)

Oh and hey, we just got Greenlit! Thanks so much everyone who voted. We were in the top 10 of greendb for a bit.

I think we're not thinking of the same jump n bump! Congratulations on being greenlit!

ceosol

The game was released on Steam yesterday. Right now it is on sale for $0.66, regularly $0.99.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/438030

We're running into an issue with the Mac targeting. It is saying that there isn't an executable. We've tried pointing to the .app and the file within the app. It runs fine when I click on the app on my computer. The PC executable also works. The error only happens when running the Mac app through steam. Has anybody else encountered this?

rob1221

AFAIK your game is the first Stencyl game to be released on Steam, so you might not find an answer here.

ceosol

AFAIK your game is the first Stencyl game to be released on Steam, so you might not find an answer here.

oooooh. Alright, I'll try to figure something out and let everyone know. Good news is that PC executable was perfect :)

rob1221

Did you get the Steam API working, or did you skip implementing it?

Jon

As Rob says, Steam's uncharted territory for us. Quite a few Stencyl games have been greenlit, but this is the first to my knowledge to be published. What exactly does the error / Steam log say?

Your first instinct (about trying to point to the executable inside the .app) matches what I would have tried too.

ceosol

Did you get the Steam API working, or did you skip implementing it?

I skipped over it. I know nothing about coding. Every attempt I've ever made on extensions have come up flat :)

As Rob says, Steam's uncharted territory for us. Quite a few Stencyl games have been greenlit, but this is the first to my knowledge to be published. What exactly does the error / Steam log say?

Your first instinct (about trying to point to the executable inside the .app) matches what I would have tried too.

I attached a picture of the setup screen. No error comes up on the steam side. However, when I try to play it, I always get:

"Failed to start game (missing executable)."

If you go to the steam information page, it just tells you to uninstall and reinstall or click the "check integrity" button. I tried all of those and it still came out the same. My publisher gave me a beta key for a different game he had uploaded and just had to target the .app and it works fine (it was done in some other engine). I've sent Mac games to other people and they've all worked. I do not understand why Steam would be having a problem with it.