Deadshot (Available on Steam)

ceosol

I saw something online about codesigning Steam Mac apps with construct 2. The person could not get Steam to recognize the app, just like the problem I am having here. So I tried some of the codesign bash commands in terminal (as if I know what that actually means). One of the attempts seemed to produce a response. I will try the upload tomorrow and let everyone know if that fixes the problem :)

Bombini

Good luck & Please share!
Cheers!

rob1221

I looked up the game on Steamspy and see that it's #78 on the trending list with 4000+ downloads, although I don't know how accurate their estimates are.  One thing I'm curious about is why there's an 84% discount on a $0.99 game.  Was that the publisher's idea?

ceosol

Publisher had a 33% discount for the first week of release. The Steam Lunar Calendar 50% sale started on Thursday and the two sales stack.

ceosol

We are somewhere in the range of 20,000 units. I was thinking that it would only sell a couple hundred. I am happy with the result. Whether by design or not, that sale got people playing the game.

We decided to hold off on uploading the Mac build because of the lunar sale. We didn't want thousands of people posting negative reviews if it didn't work. So far, the Mac build does not show up when we try beta testing. It only shows up when we publish it.

Two key things that anybody going on Steam HAS to do:
- Implement controller support (unless you have really easy controls)
- Add an exit button into the game somewhere to close the client (in a pause menu or on the main screen)

I've had quite a few negative reviews based solely on the exit button.

rob1221

Now I see what's going on here.  The price floor must normally be $0.49 for games that aren't free to play because there are many pages of games at that price.  However, Steam has somehow pushed two games, yours being one, under that price, so when anyone sorts sales by lowest price, your game is #1 on the list.

BTW, the exit game block is under Flow > Advanced.

bobbyck

lol,

i just read the thread. i sent him a pm about how to do the exit using custom code "nme.system.System.exit(0);"

now i see their is an "exit" block.....   :: facepalm ::

was that always there and i missed it.. or??

ceosol

BTW, the exit game block is under Flow > Advanced.

I have it in the update for the game, just haven't had a chance to compile. I was just listing that so others could learn from my mistake :D

ceosol

I finally had time to hop on my laptop and make a new PC version. Here are the changes:

- Exit button
- Sound volume save after you change it (loading the saved settings next time you play)
- Ability to switch between 1, 2 or 3 lives at the start
- Health boxes give 1/2 as much life
- Health box respawn timer is twice as long

That should be released on Steam in the next day or two.

I have some other information for future or current Steam Developers:

1. I was told today that Steam will not pay until the end of March. It was released on February 1st. So if you want to get paid more quickly, make sure to get it published by the end of the current month. Releasing on the 1st means you will have a two month wait.

2. Steam has an odd return policy (in my opinion). Users can get a full refund if they return a game within 2 weeks of purchase and have played less than 2 hours. So if your game is on the shorter side, make sure your trading cards take more than 2 hours to obtain all of them. Apparently, Deadshot has only had ~11 refunds.

Bombini

- Implement controller support (unless you have really easy controls)

Thanks  for sharing. Steam controller or any? And if yes: anything to have in mind?
Cheers

ceosol

I assume xbox and PS.

ceosol

Update: When you upload a new version of your game, it is best to keep the file name exactly the same as the original. Steam keeps the original target executable. Users can rename the .exe to still play the game. Otherwise, they receive a "missing executable" error.

Ceosol, do you mind showing us, or giving us some statistics?

ceosol

As of a couple week ago, there were only 11 returns. I really have no idea how many people have purchased or own the game. Things like steamspy sometimes show a dip by 5,000 "owners" in a period of one day. Since there have only been 11 returns, the only way that the "owners" could drop by 5,000 people would be if the statistics refers to current downloads. After that point, I do not know if the Steamspy numbers reflect new purchases or current owners redownloading the game. The only thing I know for sure is that it is between 50,000 and 100,000 (maybe 150,000).

Bombini

Thanks for sharing.
What are and were your expectations?