Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Stencyl MUD (Live)

ceosol

EDIT: The chat server is now live: http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/36957.

I have this potential client right now that is looking to create a MUD. He and his friends want to do the project just to satisfy their nostalgia. I do not know whether or not I will be awarded the contract, but it got me seriously thinking about creating a Stencyl MUD (and even would like to call it StencylMUD with Jon's permission).

I plan to work on it in my free time, which admittedly is not much. If anybody else would like to get involved, please let me know. It would be interesting to have a Stencyl community driven game - and a fun place to chat outside of Tuo's livestreams or the chat room. I now have practice with database management using Stencyl (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/obama-llama-app/id1038500531?mt=8). That, combined with M.E.'s multiplayer extensions, makes MUDs a real possibility.

For those who are too young or just were not into that sort of thing, a Multi User Dungeon (MUD) is a text-based game. You choose your class and build up your stats and equipment like any MMO, but the key parts to the games are the stories and written descriptions of your surroundings. The only visuals you might see are an inventory graphic or a minimap. Of course, if we made our own MUD, we could include anything we want into it. The only key part is that the gameplay should be text-driven.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 11:49:23 pm by ceosol »

merrak

This sounds really interesting! I used to run a MUD back in 2002. In fact, I tried to make a unique client for it with VB6. Is a client what you're thinking of making with Stencyl?

Last year I got pretty far modifying SocketMUD to interact with an SQL database and format output to be parsed by a client (mine was PHP based--not Stencyl). I can release the code if you think it would be useful.

ceosol

I was going to do most of the game on the server-side. The client was just going to be sorting and displaying data. Unfortunately, I know nothing about coding so the socketmud probably would not help much :)

ceosol

I really need to work on the server-side of the development more than the client. :)

ceosol

I made a rudimentary server-side program. It has an afk timer of 90 seconds. So all you can do in the game is get booted from the server. Hurray, good times! :)

It was fun taking a little break from real work. I want this to be a community-wide project (unless you do not like MUDs). Even if you do not want to take part in the programming, it would be great to have writers, or UI artists, or dungeon designers, etc.

Hectate

I always did love a good MUD; there's quite a few still active over the internet nowadays too, if you know where to look. A few have made changes to make it fully modern, such as Legend Of the (originally, Red) Green Dragon. I'll be watching :)
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

ceosol

The last MUD I tried was Achaea. The high level players were just wiping out entire cities all of the time. It was not much fun. Another direction that this could go is a nodiatus type of game. That was basically a MUD with graphics instead of all text. Travel was still north, south, east and west. Combat was scrolling damage with some special abilities that you could use. Right now, I am leaning more towards all text-based since it is much simpler to program than graphics.

It all depends on whether anybody wants to join me on this and what we decide on doing.

ceosol

Sorry, I haven't worked on this in a while. I finally made a login server :D

It can register new accounts and log you in if the passwords match. I'm not sure if I should go for character creation or implement a chat next. Maybe I'll go with chat so it finally validates this post being in the chit-chat forum.

ceosol

Adding and showing messages are done. I just need to program the server side to delete older messages. Once that is done, I'll try to package everything together and post a build for people to start testing.

hendriza01

Looks like an interesting project ceosol! If I could I would contribute but I'm still learning myself, but I will be following your project with anticipation. So I wish you luck with it!

Hectate

One thing to consider is how you plan to implement rooms. I'd recommend something easily extendable that only requires you to drop files into a folder on the server, plaintext probably.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

ceosol

One thing to consider is how you plan to implement rooms. I'd recommend something easily extendable that only requires you to drop files into a folder on the server, plaintext probably.

Very true. I was thinking about how to do that. Certainly having expanding rooms would be easier on the players because they would not have to update the client. It just becomes more complicated for me to figure out the best way to implement that feature into the server :D

Looks like an interesting project ceosol! If I could I would contribute but I'm still learning myself, but I will be following your project with anticipation. So I wish you luck with it!

I would love it if others could write up descriptions for areas, characters or enemies. There is also dialog that would need to be written. It would need some information about quests, equipment, items. Or even area/level/dungeon design would be incredibly helpful.

My original idea was to have a community driven project. You do not have to be a stencyl master to contribute :)

ceosol

Thanks to Hectate, I figured out a way to have the movement in the game running entirely off of the server. It will send the client information about the room name, number (for internal use), description and exits. If you type one of the valid exits, it will ask the server for the next room and gather the new exits.

This means I will be able to add and delete rooms at any time without taking the server offline. I'm going to start simple and have a newbie zone. It will help people get used to movement and combat. The screenshot is unedited, but it pulled the first room of the game from the server. :)

Oops, just realized I need to add one more bit of information... the exits also have to include which new room number the player will enter. This is especially important since most will have multiple exits.

ceosol

I put some effort into organizing the output.

ceosol

Now that the basic framework is almost complete, I would like the Stencyl community's input. Please do not feel that you cannot contribute. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts whether you are a Stencyl newbie or a master. Right now I am looking for two things:

1. Ideas on the gameplay. Do you want it to be a skill-based system (as in you level up by increasing your skills) or an experience-based system (as in you gain experience by performing actions in order to level up and allocate skill points). Personally, I prefer skill-based systems more. I like exp, also, but usually find grinding out exp to be tedious.

2. I would love to have your designs on areas to include in the game. If you want to create a dungeon or valley or even a whole city, that would fantastic.

- At minimum, I would need to have a grid map of your area. This would include all of the exits people can take. For instance, in the  screenshot above, you start at the bottom grid point. You can move up (north). In the next room, you can move north or south (back to the first room). If you move up again, you enter a room with 5 exits - north, south, east and west and an alternate exit for you to leave the newbie area. All together, it is seven rooms.

- If you could also provide me with descriptions of each room/area of your grid, it would be very helpful. If not, that's fine, I will write the descriptions. Just give me a general idea of what you envision.

- The areas/towns/dungeons do not have to be huge. Even if you have a 2x2 grid describing the interior of a house, that is helpful. If you make a bigger area, such as 50x50 grid squares, then please try to help out with the descriptions and clearly indicate all of the exits for each point.

I envision this being a community-wide project. I want everyone to feel that they are a part of this. I am calling this StencylMUD (again, as long as Jon approves) because it is meant to be something born out of the Stencyl community.