Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Stencyl MUD (Live)

merrak

I can probably dig up a few of the better actual MUD areas I used... I'm sure they're lying around somewhere. The color codes would have to be stripped out of the room descriptions, but that should be easier than writing them from scratch :)

ceosol

I can probably dig up a few of the better actual MUD areas I used... I'm sure they're lying around somewhere. The color codes would have to be stripped out of the room descriptions, but that should be easier than writing them from scratch :)

That's great. Thanks merrak.

Here's a quick screenshot showing what I was referring to regarding the newbie area. (EDIT: Cleaned up the screenshot a tad)

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 09:46:14 pm by ceosol »

Hectate

Can you share a couple of your existing rooms or a simple example so we can format our text properly to help you implement them faster?

I'm not a big RPG player so I'm not going to delve into the skill/xp thing.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

ceosol

I was just using a spreadsheet to make the grid. In the newbie zone example, Room 3 has the most possible exits with 5. I have eight possible exits already set up in the database. In most cases, north, south, east and west should be the choices. In, out, up and down are common choices, as well. If you need more than 8, that's fine. I would just have to add in more fields. The E fields are the exits - these are listed as the possible directions in each room. The R fields are the room numbers associated with the exits. So room 1 has a single exit to the north (N) which heads to room 2. Room 2 has two exits to the north (N) and south (S) which head to rooms 3 and 1, respectively.

The odd rooms are 7 and 8 because they require up and down directions.

Right now I have a limit of 300 characters for the descriptions.

I also started on a small town. I haven't done anything with it other than mapping out the grid.

Hectate

Seems reasonable to implement but not very extendable.  How are you going to add to it during runtime, additional spreadsheets?
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

Hectate

For a text based system, I really like how TADS did it (back in my DOS days I had an old version), it's almost like a tag system or XML. The engine just reads the appropriate tags when needed and hits that up, everything else is ignored of course.
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.

ceosol

Since I am making it "room" based, all I have to do is change a room number and it will alter where someone ends up. Also, at any point, I could add a doorway/exit/direction and I could create a whole new area. The players would not have to download anything because I have the client linked up to the database.

The first room I made was the newbie zone with the north exit. Going north did not actually do anything until I added in the second room. I used both of those rooms (basically switching between 1 and 2) to figure out how to set up this system. Once I figured that out, I added in rooms 3 and 7 to the database and the game was able to run through without changing any code on the client side.

This would also be cool with making special events. The small town in the screenshot could have a secret doorway or portal to the event zone. Once you exit the newbie zone, you will end up in room 9. This is actually an alleyway between 17 and 25 (a back-room of a tavern and someone's residence). Starting out, room 9 will only have a west exit, heading out into the street. That means the E1 field in the database will be W. The R1 field in the database will be 10. In order to make the special event zone, I would just change E2 to E and R2 from 0 to 99999. Whenever someone would enter the alleyway, they would then be told that the room has two exits, E and W. When the special event is over, I would remove the E2 value and change R2 back to 0. When a player would then enter the alleyway, it would be back to just a W exit. During this entire time, I would only be changing database values, but the client would stay exactly the same.

ceosol

I built up the area around the town (Petriceni). There is a castle close by called Honorceni. They are both situated in a valley with the back of the castle up against the mountain.

I mapped out a nice sized cave, a couple glades and a tower up a trail in the mountains. This area has 300 unique locations to visit (including the 8 from newbie zone). Now I need to write up the descriptions :)

ceosol

I've been playing around with the screen setup. I want to allow for mouse navigation, in addition to the text input. This should broaden the user base to younger players who may not be accustomed to an entirely keyboard based game. The background and font colors will have a few options each. The default will be light gray and black.

I am also trying to adapt the setup for a mobile export. Typing messages in chat will still require use of an onboard keyboard, but the game itself will be playable by touch.

Hopefully by the weekend, I will have the chat function finished. Then, everyone can start testing it out and chatting on it. I only have the newbie zone and the Petriceni main street on the server. I will add more areas after the chat  feature is done.

ceosol

I'm working a little bit on the chat function if anybody is interested in saying hi :)

http://www.twitch.tv/ceosol

ceosol

Some random person entered into the twitch channel just as I was about to test the chat server. And somehow it worked! The guy must have been good luck. I just need to tie up some loose ends and perhaps migrate the server, but we are almost ready to chat on a Stencyl-made MUD :)

ceosol

Heh, just noticed that I had switched the values for the user and the message. The messages should allow for 100 characters and the user for 30 characters.

WitlessWonderer

Is this still a thing or did it take a back burner to other work?  I would love to get involved and see how the back-end stuff is set up, though I couldn't actually help with it.  But I could start with some room design, or dialogue for npc's in the city.

ceosol

It is on the back burner for a little bit. I have a couple of contracts that have February deadlines. Unfortunately, they have NDA's so I cannot bring in outside help. Once they are complete, I should have some free time to work on StencylMUD again.

WitlessWonderer

Well, if you don't mind, post here again when you pick it back up and I would be very interested in helping in whatever way I can.  Also, good luck getting your work done!