Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Stencyl MUD (Live)

ceosol

After a few people asked me about StencylMUD's status, I decided to start working on it again. With mdotedot's guidance, I bought a server. Now I am wading through all of the crap that you need to do setting things up. Once that it done, I can start redirecting all of the stencyl commands in the game.

On a side note, I can host 3 other domains and databases on my server. If anybody is interested, let me know.

WitlessWonderer

Hey Ceosol,

I would be super interested in getting in on this when you start to work on it again.  I don't have a whole lot of design skills, but I am focusing on improving my coding skills at the moment.  I know that since it would be a MUD, so this might not matter, but my digital art skills are passable.

ceosol

Hey Ceosol,

I would be super interested in getting in on this when you start to work on it again.  I don't have a whole lot of design skills, but I am focusing on improving my coding skills at the moment.  I know that since it would be a MUD, so this might not matter, but my digital art skills are passable.

Since I would like to have it cross-platform (mobile and desktop), having a nice interface would be a plus. I would also be amazing to make a nice looking map. I could give you a sketch of what I envision the map to look like - at least the starting area.

I'm just trying to get ahead on my contract work (and failing). I am $250 down from where I need to be right now.

WitlessWonderer

Sure, no problem, we can talk about it when you have the time.

When you were thinking about making it cross-platform, were you thinking of implementing different roles or play styles for the different platforms?  Or would they both be interacting in more or less the same way?

ceosol

Sure, no problem, we can talk about it when you have the time.

When you were thinking about making it cross-platform, were you thinking of implementing different roles or play styles for the different platforms?  Or would they both be interacting in more or less the same way?

One interface for both. On desktop you could be typing N, S, E, W, etc. or clicking the direction buttons. On mobile it would be much easier to just hit the direction buttons.

WitlessWonderer

Maybe this shows my lack of experience, but I've never actually used a MUD myself, is there any that you could suggest that would be a good example?

ceosol

The Gemstone series was my first experience with MUDs. That is pay-to-play if I am not mistaken. If you google search MUD, you will finds tons of examples. I think one of the biggest ones is Achaea (spelling?). Hectate mentioned a few on page 1 of this thread.

WitlessWonderer

Have we thought about theming for this?  Are we going the traditional high-fantasy route, or are we looking for something different in tone and gameplay?  I know that you have already created a town with a castle, so I am assuming that it is the typical sword-and sorcery setting?

I understand that this is developing through an iterative design, so right now we don't want to really think about big overarching stories, or complicated magic, battle, or crafting systems.  So that being said, what kind of features are looking at having in our first (or maybe second, you've done so much work already Ceosol) iteration?

WitlessWonderer

Also, to be clear, when you said that you had mapped out up to 300 unique areas, have you created the spreadsheet which details and links the rooms to each other (i.e., what you showed for rooms 1 - 7) where you have detailed their exits and the rooms linked to each exit?

Perhaps we can get a dropbox or google drive going in order to easily share all the relevant files.

ceosol

I know this was a dead thread. At the urging of merrak, I am going to pick it up again. The reason it died out before is that I was using a free server and lost all of the data/programming twice. I have a paid VPN now so it is time to try again :)

I do not know how fast or slow I'll be going on it. I just want to start setting things up and get a functional server. Once that is together, I'll release it here and everyone can start checking out. Initial launch will probably be less than 50 rooms just for exploratory purposes.

merrak

Neat to see this project picked up again. I'd forgotten that both the server (from what it looks like from the screenshots) and the client were put together with Stencyl. I thought it was just the client.

ceosol

I started rebuilding the server. There isn't much there right now. Basically all you can do is see the first room.

Thanks to M.E.'s assistance on Snowmageddon, I can now make StencylMUD flash accessible. So it is technically possible to have this be a cross-platform MUD between flash, desktop and mobile.

If you want to see that one room, here's the start of everyone:
http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/36950

« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 12:08:04 pm by ceosol »

ceosol

Quick addendum, I added 3 more rooms to the build :)

ceosol

I got excited and wrote some more rooms in. You can now enter Petriceni and walk around a little bit.

ceosol

It now has a map implemented.

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/36957

I'll try to add more locations to the server ASAP.