Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Stencyl MUD (Live)

ceosol

My first milestone is getting over to the castle to the east. I'll be working my way south and looping around the mountain.

The descriptions are all very vague right now. If anybody feels like writing new descriptions or changing what I have, we could start a googledoc for it. The current limit is 300 characters (60 characters per line for 5 lines). If you really wanted something to be longer, I could add in the programming for whatever number of lines is needed.

ceosol

I put a new build up http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/36957. I added in most of the King's Road heading southeast. We're not quite at the castle, yet. However, there is an intriguing cave that you can enter.

New in this build:
- Faster travel time (down from 1 second to 0.6 seconds)
- There is a moving boolean preventing you from moving too fast and breaking the map
- I added some thick lines to help navigating within the city.

These were all urgings from the discord chat, so I implemented them :)  If you did not realize, areas that you cannot go to - even though the map makes it look like you could - are blocked because I have not written them into the server. It will take me a bit to finish the entire island. Everything I write into the server needs to be kept under control or else I'll lose my place in the database. We're close to 100 locations now.

ceosol

I added in the last 22 locations leading up to the castle gate. I also noticed when I was mapping out the first 200 or so locations that I skipped 4 numbers. It gave me an idea about making secret passages and possibly a sewer system under the castle. That would be great for making some newbie quests and low level dungeon crawls.

I created a googledoc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_HGDq6XCHsEg9Y7NLAxWxIkPw_WRB7tLVO7-pMMg97k/edit?usp=sharing. I was considering having a town spread through the steep cliffs on the southeast and a fishing village to the north, but I am not married to the ideas. The main two things I want are the starting town and the castle. Both are in the center of the island. If you feel like writing up a storyline for any other part of the island, feel free to share. If you want to create a whole town somewhere, that's cool too. Just be aware, the further you get from the center, the longer it will take me to write it into the server. For instance, if you create a whole new island, or a main continent, that might be months before I get there.

As I've mentioned before, the current description length for a location is 300 characters. If you write a longer story that can be split up in between a few locations, that would be ideal. Many times in MUDs, a location description is a simple, "You are on a road". Most players won't read 20 lines of text.

ceosol

Link: http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/36957

A few updates:

- I added in the castle to the locations, but I cannot remember if you can actually access, yet.
- Earlier today I got the login server functioning.
- Just a few minutes ago, I got the chat server functional. That's why I switched the status to live. Feel free to hang out and chat in there. Or pop in to say hi, any time.

ceosol

New build was uploaded:
- System message was changed to red.
- Combat system has been implemented.

Right now the combat is not a global event. One of the things I always hated about MUDs was people from other factions killing everybody in your starting town - especially the quest givers. It was so annoying waiting for a quest giver to respawn. I'm thinking about leaving normal fights as local events so that everybody has a chance to kill mobs. I can program separate dungeon crawls/bosses for killing in a party or raid.

Any thoughts on this one way or another?

Right now, only the rat at North (N) North (N)  West (W) in the newbie zone is spawned. More things will be spawning as I have time to write them into the database. You can consider the target with the C command and attack using A.

ceosol

I'm thinking about having a painted "D&D minis" kind of thing for enemies. Here is an example of what the rat in the newbie zone might appear as on the screen.

merrak

That's a neat idea. If you laid out the map from an isometric perspective instead of top-down then you can use the images on the map as well.

ceosol

That's a neat idea. If you laid out the map from an isometric perspective instead of top-down then you can use the images on the map as well.

I really like that idea. I pondered it for a few days. I just couldn't wrap my brain around the map navigation/orientation moving around isometrically. So instead, I and re-orienting the minis to be on square platforms. They will appear when you reach a spot with a mob.

Just for you, merrak, I added Grue's to the game. They are not in the current arcade build, but I'll have a new upload soon :)

merrak

Just for you, merrak, I added Grue's to the game. They are not in the current arcade build, but I'll have a new upload soon :)

Awesome!  :D

Colwyn was me, by the way. I always checked the "who list" whenever logging in to MUD games.

ceosol

I just found what I needed to fix my timestamp problem. If I remember correctly, someone had just asked the question a few weeks ago about how to keep exact time without someone cheating the system by changing their device clock. If you write a simple php code, the time can be checked automatically.

if (isset($_GET['playertimer3'])) {
$y = $_SERVER['REQUEST_TIME']*1000;
echo $y;
}

The getDate() method in the stencyl API gives a timestamp in milliseconds. The php timestamp is in seconds. That is why I multiplied the server request by 1000. The playertime3 would all need to be changed to fit your own server/database php script. But you can check this out at:

http://ceosolinfo.com/testgame/testphp/mudrooms.php?playertimer3=true

It will spit out the current time (on my server), and that has nothing to do with the current time on your or a player's device.

ceosol

Alright! That worked. You can now see who is currently online on the bottom right. Of course, there probably won't be many people on until the game is further along. I'll try to stay on for a while tomorrow if anybody feels like popping in to test it.