Super Dangerous Dungeons! Now out on App Store and Google Play!

Drizzt

Hi Adventureislands,

I am really happy to hear that you deserve every penny ! :)
This is truly a success story and its really inspiring.

Kepp it up i hope we will see more games from you like this :)

Drizzt

One more question :)

Its not polite to ask about numbers so i only want to know whats the income ratio  ios vs android   ?

I dont think its 50-50 usually IOS is paying more could you share a percentage value ? :)

AdventureIslands

One more question :)

Its not polite to ask about numbers so i only want to know whats the income ratio  ios vs android   ?

I dont think its 50-50 usually IOS is paying more could you share a percentage value ? :)

Android makes me maybe 0.05% if even that. It's pretty worthless platform imo. I wouldn't put any games there if it wasn't for my Android device using fans.

It's very hard to stand out on Android because Google Play is full of useless crap, and Google isn't interested in featuring nobodies, unlike Apple.

Apple actually checks every single game submitted for them, so if you have made something that looks and plays nice, they might contact you about featuring on their own.

Drizzt

Hi !

Thanks for the info that is more then helpful and grats for your success again it is really good to see hard work makes money :)

DJEmergency

Lately I have gotten lots of indies asking me how changing from paid model to free to play has worked for me. Answer is: smashing success.

SuperDD has been downloaded over 900k times by now. Duke Dashington and Tiny Dangerous Dungeons were paid apps, and didn't get even 20k downloads combined.

Of these 900k players, only 1.91k has bought the Remove Ads IAP. But that doesn't really matter, as the ads are the main thing here. With the ad revenue, I could easily quit my job and live comfortably for couple of years as full time indie if I wanted to.

The sad fact is, there simply isn't enough paying customers on mobile for unknown little indies. With a free game, people have less threshold to download it, and people who don't want to or can't pay can still play it. If you can also nab App Store feature with it, your game spreads like wildfire.

Paid games might have more success on PC and consoles, but for mobile, I'm sticking with free+ads model from now on.

What ad service do you use for your ads? Thank you in advance.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 05:46:51 am by DJEmergency »

mebloo

First of all, I would like to congratulate you for this very nice retro platform game that is Super Dangerous Dungeon. I remember I paid for the first iteration that was Tiny Dungerous Dungeon with no regret, it was a great game, maybe a little short but very cool. To tell  you the truth, I prefer the way the first one was designed, more like a "metroidvania" than a puzzle game with levels all independant. But that's just my feeling, the whole game is still great of course :)

But that was not the point of my message, I just wanted to react to your previous message where you said that with the ad revenues, you could have easily quit your job and be a full time indie. Is that real ? I find it hard to believe but it makes me believe that one day I could become a full time indie and quit my job :D but I'm far for that destination. OH and so you mean that you did NOT quit your job ? What is it btw and why would you not want to be a full time indie ?

ceosol

Of these 900k players, only 1.91k has bought the Remove Ads IAP. But that doesn't really matter, as the ads are the main thing here. With the ad revenue, I could easily quit my job and live comfortably for couple of years as full time indie if I wanted to.

Just to be clear, though. You are a professional artist. Most of the rest of us are horrible at art - so getting featured by apple is not as likely. Getting a feature and 900k downloads is more because of you being THAT good, not because of Apple caring about indie developers :)

For most of the people reading this, please do not assume that you can just create a game and automatically make a comfortable living for a couple of years. You have to get up to the level of Jussi in art, game design and programming to start landing those sorts of deals.

colburt187

"not because of Apple caring about indie developers :)"

I think what Jussi was saying is that Apple seem to actively support the small guys where Google doesnt. The appStore editors do genuinely seem to be interested in the games they feature. Im really surprised by how much support I've had from apple. I currently have the following features on the App Store.

What were playing (Wheelie 2)
Best new updates (Wheelie 2)
15 Funniest games (Wrassling)
15 greatest party Games (Battle Golf)
15 awesome retro games (Battle Golf)

And my google features are.......(tumble weed)

Apple could easily fill these slots with big budget games but seem to actively support small indies like Jussi, in my experience. For example the week I released Wheelie 2, Activision released a Snoopy game. Both games were in the best new games feature but my game was in a much more visible slot.

It is of course a tough business, but once you manage to get on Apples radar they will support you well.

Drizzt

Thanks for the feedback guys :)

Yea i am not dreaming of anything like that :D I am far away from Jussi's art hes really awesome in it .
Besides the art the level designs are really good in the game if its too easy ppl will get bored if its too hard they just get frustrated and quit playing achieveing the perfect hardness is hard :)

rodolfovs

Hello @AdventureIslands,

Congratulations on your game, very cool and well done!

I read this topic you received good money from the ads in the game, could you tell us which ad systems you use? AdMob, Ad Colony?

Thank you!

hendriza01

Playing the game now, it's addictive and fun, thanks! :)

squeeb

love the game!! not talking bad.. just found a bug in the duke dashington game... this level i got on top of the  block that moves up and down.. it pushed me through the ceiling and you can see in the picture.. i got stuck in the wall :p  beat it... your games are really good..

TheIndieStation

I have to ask, but how do you guys come up with the level designs? =o

SquarePug

Android makes me maybe 0.05% if even that. It's pretty worthless platform imo. I wouldn't put any games there if it wasn't for my Android device using fans.

Shame it makes so little on Android because the reviews are great. As mainly an Android user myself I hope you continue to support it though and hopefully at some point you will get the justified financial rewards from Google :)
Twitter: @satchapps.

bokalvslund

Really cool art and games you make !