Is online multiplayer like Worms possible with stencyl?

TheIndieStation

Cant tell. But this kind of work could take up a month or two easily. Things always go sideways which you have to fix, followed by another problem.

ceosol

From what I've seen, multiplayer game contracts usually run in the $5,000 to $20,000 range usd.

dzyothwrld

Guess I'll think of something else then

TheIndieStation

Making such games is easier then you might think, you just need to stay motivated and be ready to have problems to solve shoved right under your nose =)

It took me only a year to get from no knowledge at all, to being able to create full size 3D games within a year. The only thing I did? Use Stencyl day in/day out, every free hour I had, and search allot of info on these forums or even YouTube.

Bhoopalan

Making such games is easier then you might think, you just need to stay motivated and be ready to have problems to solve shoved right under your nose =)

It took me only a year to get from no knowledge at all, to being able to create full size 3D games within a year. The only thing I did? Use Stencyl day in/day out, every free hour I had, and search allot of info on these forums or even YouTube.

3D games? Using Unity? Stencyl is based on visual scripting. Did you use visual scripting in Unity as well?
If I helped you at anytime, help me back build my twitter followers :)
https://twitter.com/imbhoopalan

TheIndieStation

Nope. After an intense year of visual scripting I saw allot of similarities with c#. It took me about a month to make the total switch

Bhoopalan

Nope. After an intense year of visual scripting I saw allot of similarities with c#. It took me about a month to make the total switch

That's correct from my experience as well. But my experience is a bit reverse. I had some basic c knowledge but can't get into gaming with that alone. But I was able to learn Stencyl faster with that knowledge. I'm still not ready enough for a 3d game. But that's my dream for a long time.

3D games? Using Unity? Stencyl is based on visual scripting. Did you use visual scripting in Unity as well?

Unity has the ability to do visual scripting.

TheIndieStation

Oh really?
Never knew that.

@Bhoopalan, it funny tho because everybody told me i had to start with C cause it wpuld make things MUCH easier. And untill now i always hear the opposite haha.

Bhoopalan

Unity has the ability to do visual scripting.

I think you're referring to additional plugins like playmaker?

It has visual scripting features. But it still will take some learning curve. I believe I'm able to do a lot many things with Stencyl now though. So I prefer to stick with Stencyl until I some time to learn such visual scripting.

TheIndieStation

Im not even considering anymore going back to Unity tbh. I have always been a 2D game lover, and I truly believe in Stencyl's potential to even outgrow the other big players in 2D engines. I am currently learning how to make engine extensions so I can nring in as much as usefull tools as neccesary to make Stencyl part of the really big boys out there...

Bhoopalan

Im not even considering anymore going back to Unity tbh. I have always been a 2D game lover, and I truly believe in Stencyl's potential to even outgrow the other big players in 2D engines. I am currently learning how to make engine extensions so I can nring in as much as usefull tools as neccesary to make Stencyl part of the really big boys out there...
I wouldn't quit Stencyl as well. But when I think of any 3D games, I just have no option but to look for Unity. However, Stencyl is far more useful for 2D games than Unity.

TheIndieStation

True, but on your own there is no way you could create a high end game yourself in a profitable time span.

As for now there are 2 important things that are missing in my eyes which is 9 part scaling and something equelavant to Unity's canvas system where you can place objects based on an actual device's resolution instead of basing it on the camera position. I am experiementing with this and booked some successes but nothing worth sharing at this point.

Specially that last would be a great adition to the scaling system.

True, but on your own there is no way you could create a high end game yourself in a profitable time span.

As for now there are 2 important things that are missing in my eyes which is 9 part scaling and something equelavant to Unity's canvas system where you can place objects based on an actual device's resolution instead of basing it on the camera position. I am experiementing with this and booked some successes but nothing worth sharing at this point.

I really dislike when I go into a programming chat channel like Ludum Dare, and they ask me what I use to program and when I say Stencyl everyone starts laughing and says that's fake coding. Stencyl is easier than other ways to code, yes. But I have been using it for three years and I still suck. I wish people would have more respect for it.

Bhoopalan

I really dislike when I go into a programming chat channel like Ludum Dare, and they ask me what I use to program and when I say Stencyl everyone starts laughing and says that's fake coding. Stencyl is easier than other ways to code, yes. But I have been using it for three years and I still suck. I wish people would have more respect for it.

Who cares what others think? They develop games. You develop games. What makes any difference?