Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Non Named (Debugging, maps, and other stuff)

fillergames

Got text semi set up for the controls menu. Gonna make the yellow boxes contain the name of the button it's bound to, so I'll have to make it larger to fit the box itself.

When multiple keys/buttons are bounded to something, it'll just say "many".

fillergames

Some possible finalized maps. Usually, I tend to swap around what I do when I get bored of one (IE: Making maps when bored of game logic, or writing when bored of map making).

I draw most of my maps on letter size papers, while using a mechanical pencil to ensure semi-clean lines (have had issues with standard, sharpener based ones). In my opinion, pretty much most of the maps should be seamless to prevent immersion issues (For example, if the left side of a loading zone was larger than the right, that would throw off some people)

I usually use different papers as different parts of maps, I tend to list arrows with the point (A1, for example) to plan out loading zones.

The maps themselves are edited in post to have better contrast in lines, so they're more visible in smaller res sizes.

What I need most is a proper work schedule, as mine is a massive mess.

fillergames

More map revising on the forest area, this is probably 1/4 (or 1/5, or 1/6. Dunno yet) done now. (And yes, the areas in the game will be pretty small, don't want it to be overblown in size.

fillergames

I've now decided this game is in development update stasis.

While I'll still be working on it, updates will no longer happen until told so.

fillergames

I think I honestly might cancel this game.

I have no motivation to work on it, no motivation to do anything with it, nothing has been touched for over a month. Making something this ambitious was a mistake, really.

merrak

It's okay to step away from a project for a while. It'd be different if you had a deadline, financial backers, or anyone else to answer to--but otherwise there's nothing wrong with taking a week, a month, or longer to recharge. I've taken breaks from larger projects and always found taking on new challenges not only helps keep me motivated, but I can also apply what I learned to the longer project.

If you're going to take a long break, I'd suggest leaving some notes to remind yourself where you left off.

fillergames

Yeah, I might just take a break until the end of this month to see if I feel better with working at all.

fillergames

Some quick progress on a map after I got some motivation.

The gimmick here is that you would mostly only be able to see from the targeted lightsources. This will be done via overlay from a foreground layer.

JeffreyDriver

Glad to see you got your motivation back. Sounds like you had a case of burnout.

Your project's looking great.

fillergames

Another issue I've been having is a writer's block.

It's just hard for me to sit down for more than 25 minutes to write something up. I have ideas in my head, but I can't put 'em into words.

fillergames

I've finally decided the writing style for the game, and I feel like with some more knowledge on writing myself, that the way I've organized writing is cleaner, and more organized for game development.

Once I've gotten the first real major parts of the story written up and finalized, I'll go back to drawing concepts and doing some more posts related to proper development.

Majora64

How are you holding up with the completion of the project? I like what you have but I can easily see this being more long term. I'd love nothing more than to see this to completion!!!

fillergames

I'd say story wise, I've written up halfway through the first real major part I've split the game up to.

Basic movement, and some of the engine work (saving, loading, object interaction) have been pretty fleshed out nicely.

Stuff like the battle combat is pretty much on hold until I've written enough for a quick demo of such. Which I'll probably upload sooner or later (probably on an Adobe Air projector for that time being, as I want to get the pro license until I feel 100% that it'll go to use).

My issue is that I'm a very slow writer, and I'm still a newcomer with making music. As I've never made real music for a major project ever.

I'm also thinking of adding some more features to make it seem more professional.

merrak

Another issue I've been having is a writer's block.

It's just hard for me to sit down for more than 25 minutes to write something up. I have ideas in my head, but I can't put 'em into words.

While it's easier said than done, it's important to let go of the "inner editor" and just get whatever down. That was the idea behind Nanowrimo, anyway. Just get the ideas down any which way and worry about finding the right words later. You can always edit the draft later.