Non Named (Debugging, maps, and other stuff)

Bombini

Would love to test even if its super rough!

fillergames

@Bombini

I may post a rough map test on the Stencyl arcade if you really want to try it out.

It's very barebones, though.

fillergames

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/37742

Map showcase thing. Make sure you set the graphic settings to "low" so the text doesn't look weird. Right click, and go to quality>low

Controls:

- Arrow keys to move

-Z to inspect/use

-X to deny/go back

-V to pause.

Also, dunno why the item menu is so laggy on Flash. Works fine on Windows.

Irock

Hey, I tried out your demo! Your diagonal move speed seems like it's faster than your horizontal and vertical move speeds. That usually happens when you set both your X and Y speeds to your max move speed.

If you do something like this when moving diagonally instead, it'll be consistent. The second is a less intensive approximation of the first.

fillergames

After what seems like months working on my game, I just realized this was a thing. Happily, I organized the script so that this is an easy fix.

Quick edit: I fixed it using the less resource-intensive method, and it causes the camera, and following characters to shudder now when doing angled movement, which just looks awful. I may just keep it as-is, as I know a speedrunner or two would abuse it.

Anyways, is there anything else you felt was iffy with the quick demo?

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 09:30:21 pm by fillergames »

merrak

Looks pretty good so far. I was able to move around and read the placeholder.

Anyways, is there anything else you felt was iffy with the quick demo?

It'd be easier to fit through tight spaces if the character could slide against walls. For the doorway here, if I held both L + D then I'd slide down against the wall until I was lined up with it, then go thought it.

fillergames

You pretty much stop when colliding by a wall, correct?

That was done as a hacky fix to stop issues with following characters clipping into your sprite. As I decided it'd be less of a hassle and easier on resources to just stop both when you collide with something.

I also wanted to prevent the "wallbonking" issue that happens in some games where you still continue running even in-front of a wall. What happens here is pretty much a fix for both of those in the loosest ways possible.

Bombini

Hi,
i could not try it properly on my notebook Windows 10 64bit, Intel core i7-4600U CPU @ 2,1GHz, 8GB RAM because of perfromance. The character would walk endless or ignore my commands and the CPU would be at max usage.
Cheers!

fillergames

Weird. My specs are far worse than that, as I only have an Intel-i3 with 4 GB RAM. (Saving up for a proper PC soon, don't worry)

It also ran fine on my laptop that was also worse in terms of specs, so that's odd.

Edit: What browser were you using? As I used Chrome to run it.

merrak

Performance seemed fine for me. Walked around and battled a chicken. Max CPU usage (reported by Chrome task manager) was 15% and 45MB memory. No lag.

fillergames

The most logical explanation I have for that is the high amount of text drawing just isn't up to scratch for Flash. (which would make sense for why the items menu runs horridly on Flash, as I think that scene has the highest amount of text drawing at once)

Is there any way to find what causes the most resource usage within a program? I know there's the FPS monitor, but that is pretty barebones for Stencyl game debugging.

I just tried to battle a chicken, and I did get a small pause even on Windows while the scene was transitioning. I think it has something to do with scene transitions, too. The battle scene seems to use the least amount of resources according to the FPS monitor.

Edit: Just noticed the character bobbing works differently compared to Flash/Windows. Looks lower on Flash.

merrak

hxScout is the tool I usually use to figure that out.

fillergames

Thank you. Going to to a quick run through with it to see what uses the most resources, then.

Is it normal for HxScout to not do anything when waiting for the application to connect? Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Just wanted to clarify this is my first time using the software. So I don't know what is really happening at all.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 11:35:08 pm by fillergames »

merrak

Make sure you compiled with telemetry enabled. I launch hxScout then launch the game.

I get much worse performance when hxScout is running in the background, but I can still compare relative CPU usage times among the different routines.

You'll have to expand the hierarchy pretty deep to get to the Stencyl-engine specific related stuff. The top of the hierarchy is mostly lower-level OpenFL routines.

Bombini

Very  weird indeed.
Especially because i did not encounter the text part yet.
Will try on another computer.
Cheers!