Non Named (Debugging, maps, and other stuff)

Bombini

Sorta like this?

The whole characters looking dark issue was another thing, as in order to adjust the lighting and mood, I have it set to change the colour settings of an actor upon creation.

Yes but even a bit more like this:

• Having a light source (the torch)
  • Having the character even brighter (because nof the light)

ceosol

Hey filler, did you ever get my PM?

fillergames

Yes I did, I forgot about the project, actually.

Been working on a map, too.

fillergames

More map progress, some of them have been redone a bit. The details are slowly clicking into place.

fillergames

Cutscene stuff is getting worked on, now.

fillergames

So, the game's development has been semi-restarted. This is due to the fact there was many issues with the fact I wasn't researched upon proper game development, and I did everything by what I felt fit the original development of the game. Ranging from lack of ideas, to even not even having a game design document (ouch).

The artstyle will actually be updated a bit. Sprites will be larger, and less deformed in order to support better animation quality overall. Though, they use the same design styles overall.

Some of the areas will be intact, the major differences will be that generally, everything will be designed to fit together first, than just clobbering what works. As a sense of cohesive flow is required for such a large-scale game.

Due to this, updates are going to become very slow. As I want to plan everything out before working on real meat of the game.

Example of the newer Sprite design, they're taller, and more resemble people than before.

NickamonPoppytail

to even not even having a game design document (ouch).

Well, you don’t really need to have a game design document; none of my games have had one.
Currently developing Poppytail 5, Pixeltail, and The Poppytales.

Email: nick.rosemarygames.poppytail@gmail.com

;)

Bombini

to even not even having a game design document (ouch).

Well, you don’t really need to have a game design document; none of my games have had one.

Same here. Never had one. Do map out the content and effort though. I always use changelogs.

fillergames

Map select, as I was sick of having to recompile the game every time I wanted to a test different map with a new feature. The map names here are organized by the internal order I made them, and represent the really rough original idea for the game. About 10 of the maps from this list have survived. (which this list has almost 40 keep in mind)

The Game Design Document is almost done after it's development hell has been crippling my progress of anything else. Writing the character information, and then the script will be next, which finally will be organized into visual elements.

After that, real implementation of all the features will begin.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 11:12:15 pm by fillergames »

mdotedot

Nice looking screen!

I suspect that you use 'switch scene' on them?
How do you scroll to the 40th? Is the list keeping track of the display-height?!

My advice on large projects would be to make a ToDo list with rather simple things and a priority. Do not make a ToDo item that is too much work. For example  a simple task: animation switching on furniture collision. Make sure you thoroughly enjoy when finishing one of those items! Like a mile-stone event! Not a big party :D,  but take time to reflect on the issue rather than ticking it off the todo list and moving on. This will hopefully give you the satisfaction  when completing an item.

Hang on and I still enjoy seeing the progress you make!
Hanging out in the Chat:  http://www.stencyl.com/chat/

Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

fillergames

These small snippets of block control the whole map select. The list itself is stored in the behavior.

The list scrolling is controlled through 2 variables inside the list loops on the drawing. Very optimized.

mdotedot

Thanks for sharing.

Ah : you keep the 'selected / to be selected'  item on top. I was thinking you would scroll the '>' down and wondered how you would handle the selection. Cool!
Hanging out in the Chat:  http://www.stencyl.com/chat/

Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

fillergames

Well, good news! The Game Design Document is pretty much done (including the story outline, as I finally settled for one after 4 re-writes). As now second phase of planning starts.

Hopefully, things go smooth this time.

fillergames

Just a note on what's done!

Planning:
    • Story – outline – almost Gold
    • Story – screenplay – not started
    • Locations – text only – gold
    • Locations – full maps – not started
    • Characters – text – WIP (Got 2 done today)
    • Characters – designed – not done
    • Game Design Document – almost Gold
    • Story-boarding – not started
    • Item list – not started

Mechanics:

• Mechanic ideas – written, not explained
    • AI goals – not written
    • AI and NPC movement systems – not written
    • Battle mechanics – not written
    • Follower system – documented, not fully written

Visual:

• Player and NPC sprite style – being redone
    • Battle visual style – beta
    • Item sprites – not done, only examples built.
    • Tilesets – need to be redone
    • Text boxes – fine for now

Audio

• Menu sounds – beta
    • Music – is none right now, will be added later
    • Ambient sounds – none
    • Battle sounds – none right now
    • Sound panning – ?
    • Sound volume based of location proximity – to be added

Just to note that the game is being built on the newest public version of Stencyl now, as it's running on 3.4. Been spending time checking if any errors have been made from the upgrade from 3.3

squeeb

Glad to see the progress!  Hope to see more soon