Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Non Named (Debugging, maps, and other stuff)

fillergames

Most of the pathfinding seems to work okay, now. There's one section that is just confusing me, which is position 6, down left walking.

Issues:

-The following actor does not change it's Y or X position correctly, despite the other direction doing just fine. Rather than being above 16 pixels from the main actor, it refuses to move.

-When switching to down right, it gets confused and losses it's direction to move in, thus, losing track of the following actor. This issue ONLY happens when the follower is above the main actor.

Here's the optimized script, the area (I assume from the debug variables) I am having issues with is inside a blue box.

fillergames

The pathfinding now works without issue (Running has not been added). The only thing left to fix are animations issues, and maybe some minor clipping issues (Which could be fixed by adding collision detection to them? Don't want to add another layer of issues to debug, honestly). Due to this, debug HUD is now hidden.

Pressing 1 will enable slow-down, and pressing again will go back to normal speed.

http://www.stencyl.com/game/play/34438

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 09:43:53 pm by fillergames »

fillergames

Video capture test. Never done this stuff, so I'm pretty bleh at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRKrmfWsi88

fillergames

Pretty sure you'd expect this from my lack of activity, but I've lost interest with making games.

Haven't been feeling like doing anything at all. So don't expect and update, and if you do, it'll be A WHILE.

fillergames

Alright. Might just reboot the game, but cut the following mechanic, since it's annoying me.

fillergames

Got some minor tweaking done.

-Minor animation fixes

-Some script fixes, nothing major

-changed colour of tiles so text is more visible.

Needs to be fixed:

-Corners on following script, derps out.

fillergames

Following script has been re-written. It works 99% fine now.

Although, there will only 1 follower in the party, this also means the follower can do stuff in the overworld, like Paper Mario or something.

Here's some quality concept art, freshly drawn in a minute. Just to get a sense how designs work without the tiny pixel-art lose of detail.

fillergames

Following script now is 100% done. Thank goodness...

Anyhow, some more minor fixes.

-You can no longer skip text by mashing the next button, it'll only read the next line when the current line is finished.

-Minor animation and font updates. Everything looks a ton better.

-WASD movement and related keys were cut due to issues.

New features:

-Due to only having one partner to roam the screen at a time, I've added a feature. Here's a list of ones planned.

One you can ride, since running was cut due to causing bugs with the following script.

One that gives information about the current location

One that does something to break obstacles?

-Rough pause menu, only shows the box for placing info.

I don't want too many abilities, as it'll just clog it up, and ruin the spectrum. You got mobility, assistance, and path clearing. Don't see any more use with more.

A rough story has been written up, not done. But I want to get some more debug features done:

-Ability to switch, and disable partners, just to show how it would function.

-Better text box formatting, along with position-based text box placement. Image clarity is a key for this type of game.

Anyhow, I have updated the schedule on how I'll work on the game. It'll be on and off every 2 days, so at least I have time for other projects, and less time with delaying and not working on the project.

Quick URL.

fillergames

Some tests of smoother animation. Dunno if I like it or not.

fillergames

So the text-drawing script was re-drawn to both allow the lines to be lowered anytime I want when the ~ key is read in a text string, or when the text reaches near the end of the box. Since I found out how to make crystal-clear .gifs, just let the NPC explain everything.

fillergames

Working on the pause menu, opinions?

Hectate

I created a simple bitmap font back around when they were first introduced. It was released into Public Domain so you're free to use it as you like.

Whoops, just realized I replied to the first page of topics instead of reading through. You can disregard or not :)
:
:
Patience is a Virtue,
But Haste is my Life.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers; doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

fillergames

Thanks for the suggestion Hectate. The font looks pretty cool.

Update time: Menus and new character.

Here's a mockup of the party menu screen, along with a rough note menu, which will be used to track down some major plot points and sidequest info if you forgot.

Al thought his sprites are pretty bad in it's current state, here's the goat. He does have a name, but I chose it from an RNG generator because  lazy, and I need a better name. Also, his ability is that you can ride him, at the cost of not being able to stop until he's dismounted.

I have no idea who the fourth member will be, need to write down some ideas and doodle up a concept.

fillergames

Redid Goat sprites, look far better when rotating, now.

Some random characters, too.

fillergames

Been a month since the last update. Here's a screenshot of indoor areas.

Small, indoor rooms will be made up of sprites, rather than tiles. This is so they look less mechanical.

Reason why actual updates have been delayed is because I'm in a writing block.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 12:55:54 pm by fillergames »