Detective

alex pang

Sup, I need some critique on my latest sprite:

Its supposed to be a detective any hints or tips on how I can make him better?

Murad

I like it, but I'm a little confused about his pose. What is he doing exactly? And I would change the background color to something more contrasting because I can barely discern where the sprite ends, especially in his same color pants, on this monitor.

alex pang

I don't really know whats hes doing, it's just a test pose I'm doing for my client.
But here is a update i did following your advice.

Murad

Ah much easier to see. It also changes the look of the palette you chose. I would add more contrast to the darker shades. His legs appear to be a little to short, I also cant see his shoes, maybe give them a different color because the look like an extension of the pants.

alex pang

Better?
And I actually changed the pallet lol!

Murad

It's better, but theres something off about it that I can't quite place. You'll get some really good help here:
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?board=2.0
I highly suggest making an account at that forum, I've learned almost everything I know through the great people there.

NobodyX

I would suggest that the shading should better show the general form of the person. Have each part more different brightness from the rest depending on where it's placed so that the whole image looks more cohesive. It's hard to describe exactly what I mean so I did a quickie mockup (I think you have to be signed in to see attachments):

airman4

i get it what you make , according to nobody X post!

too bad , your previous post are dead link. (the frog image)

Murad

So much better. His face is a little undefined though, is that a nose and does he have a mustache?

alex pang

Yes its a nose and yes he has a mustache :P
Btw, thanks for the critique, it really helps!