Looking for a Video tutorial about Animation Manager / Lists. Will pay $30 USD.

Nikkita31

Hi Merrak.

Yeah. I really believe organizing the codes is going to be a huge help. I also agree at the points you stated above.
Looks like there's a limit in using "if" statements especially if there are multiple animations for the character. My idea in the code that I posted above was to disable other condition while the other one is currently working to avoid conflicts but I need the "special something" that organize things or anything that makes a very neat hierarchy. I also need something that will recall a certain condition when needed but it should be free from all other conflicts.

If you need the files, I can send them anytime.

regards,
Nikkita31

merrak

I have a general idea of a solution in mind, but this is the sort of problem that can get really messy in the details. I do have some code that would work in theory--but the operative phrase is "in theory". I haven't implemented it for something like fighting/combos, so I can't say there won't be some "gotcha!" or surprise that pops up. In a larger-scale problem like this one, the devil is always in the detail.

What kind of time frame are you looking at? When I get back to the isometric game I was working on last summer, I'll have to solve this problem myself. If you still don't have it solved by then, I can make a video or tutorial about how I solved the issue--or even give out the code. My biggest constraint is always time. I teach during the fall and spring, and currently am on an overload.

CmdrWhitey13

In your "do after .25 seconds" you take it out of duck by setting it to false. Is this intentional?

Nikkita31

Hi CmdrWhitney13.

Yes. It is intentional. If I don't take it out, something weird happens. Sometimes it doesn't go back to idle.

I need to put some gap or time after the move to show the entire animation of character before you can do something else. The kick animation is .25 seconds.

regards,
Renegadegamez

Nikkita31

Hi Merrak.

I know what you mean.  ;) Anyway, I will let you guys handle this because this is too much for me. I can wait . But if you feel like solving this challenging task and if you were able to successfully solve it, then I will pay. This is not easy. If it is, then it should have been solved long time ago. I will post it in video format.

regards,
Nikki

Bhoopalan

I haven't gone through the entire post and I haven't tried anything like this before. But just having a suggestion.

What if:
Create two booleans. 'LowKick' & 'LowPunch'.
Create two events 'When Q is Pressed', 'When Q is Pressed', 'When W is Pressed' & 'When W is Released'
Inside 'When Q is Pressed'
  Set Lowkick to true.
  Set LowPunch to false.
Inside 'When Q is Released'
  Set Lowkick to false.
  Set LowPunch to false.

Do similarly for LowPunch.

Create a when updating event and write the below code inside it.

If (Down is down)
 If (Lowkick is true)
   Switch animation to low kick
 Otherwise if (LowPunch is true)
   Switch animation to LowPunch.
Otherwise
   Switch animation to Duck

Let me know if it helps.
If I helped you at anytime, help me back build my twitter followers :)
https://twitter.com/imbhoopalan

Bhoopalan

Just looked at the code snippet you've shared.

If you're interested, I could try a re writing the entire code for this to work.

Nikkita31

Hi Bhoopalan.

OK. I will try to do your code later. Yeah. I'm not really restricted to anything as long as it works. I can give the stencyl file just let me know. Since this is not the only problem that I am going to face in the near future, I guess we should use really use the animation manager. I need to put "combos" after getting this thing done.

By the way,
We're you able to finish your space game or was it really a pain?

regards,
RenegadeGames.

Bhoopalan

Hi Bhoopalan.

OK. I will try to do your code later. Yeah. I'm not really restricted to anything as long as it works. I can give the stencyl file just let me know. Since this is not the only problem that I am going to face in the near future, I guess we should use really use the animation manager. I need to put "combos" after getting this thing done.

By the way,
We're you able to finish your space game or was it really a pain?

regards,
RenegadeGames.

The problem isn't that I'm unable to finish it. I already showed you a prototype. The problem lies where most players don't understand the game logic.

Still figuring out a way how to make it simple. If not, I'll just have to change the rules.

Nikkita31

Hi Bhoopalan.

For me, the game itself is really brilliant but there are things that are surprisingly complex. Just give us an update if you came up with a simpler idea / game mechanics but with similar style and theme.

regards,
RenegadeGames.

Bhoopalan

Thanks for the kind words. It's really healing the pain that the game logic isn't understandable.

Bhoopalan

BTW, what's your relationship with RenegadeGamesStudios?

CmdrWhitey13

So, I was taking a read at this.

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_/technical/game-programming/from-user-input-to-animations-using-state-machines-r4155

It might be a solution as like merrak said. I believe you might just need a state machine setup to see what action is currently happening. Then, it may be easier to rework the code for implementation.
My War of the Guilds concept uses a list to determine if its moving or idle by updating the value.
This concept can be implemented for the animation side by if state is duck and button pressed do lowkick. etc...

The idea would be while in a current state, it can limit the functionality for what you currently need at the time.

Nikkita31

Hi CmdrWhitey13.

Yeah. The state manager is really a big part of the solution and the lists but overall I still find this thing complex  ;) These annoying conflicts can just show up anytime if the code is messed up.  I will read the entire article later. Thanks CmdrWhitey. Man, I really want to make this thing work.

Regards,
RenegadeGamez.