Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

9 million Total Downloads

thechaosengine

People often ask what our marketing strategy is, and Colburt has explained that we don't really do marketing, focusing instead on trying to maximise our feature potential (this essentially boils down to making a good game, with good art, polish, icon, implement as many Apple-related things you can- Game Center, ReplayKit, etc... there's no magic trick to it). So it might be interesting to mention this:

A while ago, TechCrunch did an article on Dunkers. They have 7.1 million twitter followers. P awesome numbers right? Well, our analytics show that this coverage has lead to 100 downloads. 

As far as I'm concerned, making F2P mobile games is about getting your game onto as many devices as possible. It has nothing to do with targeting 'gamers' and getting media coverage to reach that market. The market is 'everybody who owns an iphone or ipad' and the exposure you want is Apple putting your game in front of them.

colburt187

5 million total now, wow where did they last 2 million come from. Dunkers is currently at 1.94 million downloads but daily downloads are dropping each day. I think it will it 2 million by the middle of next week.

crazy stuff.

Bhoopalan

A while ago, TechCrunch did an article on Dunkers. They have 7.1 million twitter followers. P awesome numbers right? Well, our analytics show that this coverage has lead to 100 downloads. 

Wow!! Did you make any typo there? ;) The analytics is pretty awesome!! Whenever I get emails from popular media network with so much of twitter followers asking me to buy one of their package, I use to wonder. Is it really worth? Now it's pretty clear what that worth is and I'm glad I didn't fall for them.

5 million total now, wow where did they last 2 million come from. Dunkers is currently at 1.94 million downloads but daily downloads are dropping each day. I think it will it 2 million by the middle of next week.

crazy stuff.

Amazing!!!
If I helped you at anytime, help me back build my twitter followers :)
https://twitter.com/imbhoopalan

frostypop

crazy stuff.

#Baller. 

I've been following Colin & Co. for sometime  and the simple reality is they have a developed a baseline standard level of quality that they refuse to compromise on. Their games are cleverly designed, well polished, and focus on a stellar and simple core game mechanic.

For me, design is not subjective. It is not something "anyone can do."  Form and function (and crazy ideas) are things this group of lads excel at. And they have no egos. They each seem to understand what the others do best and are willing to work with people that are simply "better" than them at any given task; the best of the best.

Yes, most independent developers fall into obscurity. But more often than not, it's simply because their work is not at a qualitative level needed to compel someone (and Apple) to pay attention to them (in such a saturated market).

And yes, there is a large amount of luck thrown into the mix, too. :)

Can't wait for the next one (and the crazy multi-player Dunkers update)!

ceosol

crazy stuff.

Grats, it is still featured in the app store for me. They have a "hoops" section with dunkers in the middle of 10-15 other basketball games. It has been there for a week or two straight.

colburt187

crazy stuff.

#Baller. 

I've been following Colin & Co. for sometime  and the simple reality is they have a developed a baseline standard level of quality that they refuse to compromise on. Their games are cleverly designed, well polished, and focus on a stellar and simple core game mechanic.

For me, design is not subjective. It is not something "anyone can do."  Form and function (and crazy ideas) are things this group of lads excel at. And they have no egos. They each seem to understand what the others do best and are willing to work with people that are simply "better" than them at any given task; the best of the best.

Yes, most independent developers fall into obscurity. But more often than not, it's simply because their work is not at a qualitative level needed to compel someone (and Apple) to pay attention to them (in such a saturated market).

Thank you very much for the kind words! especially from an App Store legend such as yourself!

If people haven't heard of this guy then check out these games https://itunes.apple.com/us/developer/the-frosty-pop-corps-inc./id930758677

Super happy to see a designer of your caliber get hands on with Stencyl, excited to see what you come up with!

colburt187

crazy stuff.

Grats, it is still featured in the app store for me. They have a "hoops" section with dunkers in the middle of 10-15 other basketball games. It has been there for a week or two straight.

Yeah the run of features has been amazing, this is week 4. Apple are pushing sports games right now so the timing has worked out well.

Bhoopalan

crazy stuff.

#Baller. 

Hi,

Never heard of your games until colburt pointed out. Seems like everything is unique and quite fun! If you're willing to answer a few questions, my first one would be: Is it still profitable to go for "paid apps" instead of free to play? (Teeter seems paid app) How much is the piracy impacting?

Just wondering... were you using Stencyl to design your games or are you just starting to try Stencyl?

frostypop

Paid vs free; there is a demographic for both of them, so I would say yes, it is and can be profitable.

Piracy not really an issue on iOS, so not a concern. Android is a different story, from my understanding. But again, not a real concern.

The primary issue, regardless of which business model one chooses, is discovery.  As long as people are aware of your product, and it is stellar, it will generate revenue.

Cheers.

frostypop

Oh, and just starting playing with Strencyl.  8)

colburt187

Paid vs free; there is a demographic for both of them, so I would say yes, it is and can be profitable.

Piracy not really an issue on iOS, so not a concern. Android is a different story, from my understanding. But again, not a real concern.

The primary issue, regardless of which business model one chooses, is discovery.  As long as people are aware of your product, and it is stellar, it will generate revenue.

Cheers.

My personal thoughts are the app really has to be quite exceptional to go for the paid route. It also helps if you already have a good reputation for fun games. I also don't think the paid route suites short arcade experiences very well. It is definitely the more high risk approach to monetizing a mobile game.

frostypop

Agreed. Definitely need to understand the type of game you are making and the demographic you are targeting. A majority of  consumer culture on mobile definitely expects games to be free.

Of note: Paid get about 1/100th the downloads of a free version, although I believe it can be as "high" as 1/20th.

Bhoopalan

Yeah the run of features has been amazing, this is week 4. Apple are pushing sports games right now so the timing has worked out well.

I think Apple feature games based on the season. If it's Olympics, they may push games related to sports. If it's Christmas season, it's games related to Christmas I believe. That's how you might have had an advantage. Just my assumption though.

colburt187

I think Apple feature games based on the season. If it's Olympics, they may push games related to sports. If it's Christmas season, it's games related to Christmas I believe. That's how you might have had an advantage. Just my assumption though.

Yeah they do tend to try to feature certain types of apps to link in with big events such as sporting events and holidays.

jaughnaugh

Congrats Colburt187 on your latest game Dunkers!

I have a question about getting recognized/featured by Apple. (Besides the fact that the game has be good) Do you contact them and schedule a release date? or do you just release it and hope they notice it? I always see developers launching games before Thursday and then getting featured afterwards. I always wondered if they contact apple or apple sends them an email or does it happen by surprise?