Will you support Stencyl if it will start kickstarter company?

tigerteeth

As Colburt said, the most important thing to have is a game that attracts attention. The engine, it's flaws or it's strengths has little to no relevance to the players.

Well... yeah, but if the engine sucks you're not gonna make a game that attracts attention.

PixylWorld

The suggestions, comments and complaints of Stencyl users should be seen as invaluable to the Stencyl team. We are trying to help the engine that we've decided to use. "Go use something else," is not a solution. I understand the dilemma of dealing with ever changing technology and 3rd party systems, but it would be nice to hear the Stencyl developers say, "Look, we understand the problems and this is our plan to have these issues resolved by n date." 

Problem ----> Solution. Communication.

The engine, it's flaws or it's strengths has little to no relevance to the players.

This is totally not true.  If a player sees a game struggling to perform on their device, not only will they uninstall, they will leave poor ratings and reviews, which in turn hurts us as game developers. When I see 2D (and even 3D) games made with other engines running smooth as silk on an old phone, while Stencyl games have jerky movement on a new phone - then, yes, we should speak up and expect better performance from Stencyl.

Moving from OpenFL Legacy to OpenFL Next may be a solution.  As suggested from the first post, this may require a bigger team. I think that is reasonable thinking.

Making in-app purchases and ads a less painful process. I think that is reasonable. Perhaps a step-by-step video would be in order. Perhaps the  code needs to be tweaked. This may require hiring a freelance coder - whatever it takes.

Also, Marcromedia Flash was revolutionary 20 years ago with vector graphics. 20 years ago! Where is our vector and svg functionality? This is not an unreasonable question or request.

The visual concept and execution of the Stencyl block system, behaviors & organization is amazing. With all the competition out there, it is best I've seen. Stencyl has taken the complex jargon of coding and made it invisible to us. Stencyl lets us focus on the logic of making our games. We would love to continue using Stencyl forever. These posts, however, are pointing out some painful problems that need attention. It's all good. Just a little tough love. Hopefully, these issues can be resolved sooner rather than later and we, as customers, can be kept in the loop.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 08:10:22 am by PixylWorld »

rob1221

3D isn't going to happen and moving away from OpenFL isn't going to happen.

...in the next year market require 4D games, Stencyl rebuild engine for 4D, after 5 years for creating 5D games etc....
Now you're just making things up.

tigerteeth

I only play games with more than 7 dimensions. 7 dimension minimum.

gurigraphics

7 dimension with astral entities would be cool. Also would be nice export of game ready with just one click or with the power of imagination.

gurigraphics

The engine, it's flaws or it's strengths has little to no relevance to the players.

This is totally not true.  If a player sees a game struggling to perform on their device, not only will they uninstall, they will leave poor ratings and reviews, which in turn hurts us as game developers. When I see 2D (and even 3D) games made with other engines running smooth as silk on an old phone, while Stencyl games have jerky movement on a new phone - then, yes, we should speak up and expect better performance from Stencyl.

One solution is to use the least possible of "When Update" and as little as possible of actors on the screen. And with that make a cool game, as stencyl games that were successful - as Dangerous Dungeons and others.

I think that is this the mastermind.

Warzone Gamez

I accept that making music and DJing is a lot simpler than making video games, and it may not be a fair comparison to make).
I disagree, producing music and developing games require very similar logic and skills. Making a simple game that looks and feels good is relatively easy. Making a simple good song that sounds and feels good can be equally hard or harder. If you want professional quality tracks, even simple ones, you need to spend sometimes weeks working on the outline, basslines, fxs, chords and leads, and then polishing and mastering all that for days. There are many outside plug-ins and editors needed for a polished and complete track, same for game development.

Both game development and music production require about the same about of skill, work required, and knowledge. Both are similar in the way, once you learn how it works, it gets easier. Learning plug-ins is the equivalent to learning a scripting language, both take months to master, and require a lot of ability to memorize what does what and why. In sound production and scripting, making the smallest flaw can result in disaster, and for both game development and music production, polishing is a major part of the project.

Imagine attempting to create this... https://soundcloud.com/kill-the-copyright/aevi-intercept-kill-the-copyright-release
That was created by an ordinary un-signed dubstep producer, and listen to the complexity and attention to detail put into this track. It takes a lot to make something good in music, same as it is for game development.
Making Dubstep is my passion.  Following
Christ is my greater passion.

View my SoundCloud page here... https://soundcloud.com/noobstep-544260267

gurigraphics

I disagree, producing music and developing games require very similar logic and skills.

Disagree of what?

Edit:
Oops, I did not see the quote. ^ ^

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 09:04:47 am by gurigraphics »

Unept

Problem ----> Solution. Communication.

Everyone agrees that comments, complaints, and suggestions are vital in improving Stencyl.

However, I can't take suggestions seriously when they come from the dev of a bird pooping simulator. That game is fine, but it's not pushing the bleeding edge of Stencyl's capabilities.

In my experience with Stencyl, when I hit a technical wall/hiccup/glitch, I assume it's from my lack of understanding of game logic in general or how Stencyl itself deals with that logic. And I'm almost always right. AND it's my responsibility to gain that understanding.

Therefore, I have no right to blame Stencyl until I have proven beyond doubt that it is actually Stencyl. I've published a few games and I have still not met the criteria of "Stencyl is holding me back" in any aspect of game design.

The devs of Ghost Song, Space Pirate, Mibibli's Quest, etc. have good reasons to make suggestions that would improve Stencyl, because holy crap look what they are creating. They're pushing limits, showing their own capabilities. They never complained on the forums because Stencyl can't handle their MMORPG idea that looks really good in their head and is sure to sell millions.

So when I hear about glitchy scrolling, I assume it's the dev, not Stencyl, until there's plenty of proof otherwise (which maybe there is, I haven't followed that issue). Game doesn't get greenlit? Dev not Stencyl. Game not featured in App Store? Dev not Stencyl. Etc.

If you have ever even thought—let alone posted in the forums—that the tool/engine is holding you back, then you should take a long, hard, honest look at yourself as a game designer, because it is very likely you are the problem.

That said, I'm really excited about 4.5D, building an extension for it as we speak.
Unicycle Hero: iOS  |  Level With Me: iOS/Android  |  Hue Ball: iOS/Android  |  Lava Bird: iOS/Android   |   Disposabot   |   Twitter

gurigraphics

In my experience with Stencyl, when I hit a technical wall/hiccup/glitch, I assume it's from my lack of understanding of game logic in general or how Stencyl itself deals with that logic. And I'm almost always right. AND it's my responsibility to gain that understanding.

Me too. At the beginning I thought that it was the engine, but always I was the problem.

So when I hear about glitchy scrolling, I assume it's the dev, not Stencyl, until there's plenty of proof otherwise (which maybe there is, I haven't followed that issue).

This question is in sccroll bar blocks, not in the produced games.

gurigraphics

Imagine attempting to create this... https://soundcloud.com/kill-the-copyright/aevi-intercept-kill-the-copyright-release
That was created by an ordinary un-signed dubstep producer, and listen to the complexity and attention to detail put into this track. It takes a lot to make something good in music, same as it is for game development.
The technical quality is impressive more for producers. As in the case of people who study music or literature classical, they understand how much it is hard to do, even if it is no longer fashionable or is old school. Common sense just like or do not like and they do not know quite explain why.

And even harder to get a song that, in addition to the technical quality, makes the perfect ambiance of the game and also cause appropriate feelings and emotions.

In this perspective, this song is a composition that I admire:

https://soundcloud.com/terraria-official/overworld-day

Baroque ornaments flourishes not impress me. Congruence, Utility and Result yes.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 10:13:00 am by gurigraphics »

PixylWorld

So when I hear about glitchy scrolling, I assume it's the dev, not Stencyl

It's Stencyl. All Stencyl games have jittery movement on all platforms. There have been many posts about jittery movement & scrolling, and the team at Stencyl has been stumped to find a solution in the past. Many of us game developers have also done tests and attempted fixes. You don't have to be working on a cutting edge game like Ghost Song to see the problem. Mibibli's Quest is a great game, but the scrolling is not smooth. Lava Bird is a really fun game, but the scrolling is jumpy & jittery. There is nothing the game maker can do to fix it. It is a problem with Stencyl's core engine and the community is simply bringing the issue to the developer's attention. That's why these forums are here, so we can help each other out and make Stencyl better. No one is saying Stencyl can't make great games. We've just noticed that these great games (especially scrolling games) all have performance issues, and we want to know what is the game plan to fix them?

gurigraphics

It's Stencyl. All Stencyl games have jittery movement on all platforms.
There have been many posts about jittery movement & scrolling, and the team at Stencyl has been stumped to find a solution in the past. Many of us game developers have also done tests and attempted fixes.

I thought that this was "scrolling of blocks". I no use the scroll mouse because I realized that consumes memory and I need close and open the program.

tigerteeth

I've made music semi-professionally (both electronic and in a indie-pop band) and I've made video games as an amateur, and video games have many more different variables. I mean obviously it depends on the kind of music you're playing/video game you're making, but... Look at it this way. You can get a guitar, a mic, and garageband, and make a simple song in a few days. You can even use your computer keyboard to record synth and drum sounds. To make a simple video game, it would take longer (unless you use pre-made elements).

And... I hate to be that guy, but that song you posted is very, very, very simple. (edit to make up for that last comment, I will tell you that your music is basically almost as good as the song you linked to).

Tepastelija

So when I hear about glitchy scrolling, I assume it's the dev, not Stencyl, until there's plenty of proof otherwise (which maybe there is, I haven't followed that issue). Game doesn't get greenlit? Dev not Stencyl. Game not featured in App Store? Dev not Stencyl. Etc.

Jittering is serious issue which needs to get fixed asap. It's something that is not related to Stencyl users code because it's problem underlying in OpenFL legacy. It's very easy to notice problem, especially with iPads, because every major and succesfull release got it. Super Dangerous Dungeons, Wheelie, Wheelie 2 and so on. Basically, every game where camera moves with character speeds greater than x-speed of 10 starts jittering.

There's plenty of great examples that you can achieve nice success with games coded in Stencyl. Super Dangerous Dungeons, Epic Flail, Wrassling and so on are all examples about what you can do with this great engine.