Will you support Stencyl if it will start kickstarter company?

1MrPaul1

Last time when i tried to add inapp  purchases it was unsuccessful, while I make everything as in stencyl pedia and tried what other users adviced. Everything with no luck, app or closed or purchases not happened . It was in October as I recall. 
In those time google remove some types of purchases and disabled testing of not published apps.
may be it was fixed but i do not saw it in logs.
And i not sure about iOs. not worked with it.

I understand that adding 3D is not easy, but with working 3D Stencyl will be ideal tool for many years in future.

gurigraphics

I understand that adding 3D is not easy, but with working 3D Stencyl will be ideal tool for many years in future.

I think it's better to continue only with 2D. Who tries to do everything a little, does everything poorly done.

1MrPaul1

I think it's better to continue only with 2D. Who tries to do everything a little, does everything poorly done.
You are right, it got to be just 2D for now, but I try to see in future, how many years 2D games will be actual, year, two or five.... i thing more and more people will want 3D games. Even if it looks like 2D even if it is pixel art, It got to work smooth it got to have many animations, lighting FX and some more.
How cool when you can make actors animations without sprites, animate it with code.
it looks different.  You can add 60 frames per second, while usually with sprites max is 10 or 15  frames.
in 3D with textures app will be small even with very rich content, and no problems with scale.

tigerteeth

I do have a love/hate relationship with Stencyl and there are a few things which are very un-intuitive (making collision polygons, scrolling, having to use extensions for a few things that I think should be in the core programme, some of the unusual copy/paste situations, and overall it's quite unstable compared to the programmes I've used to make music) and I would actually love to pay a little more to see a more stable, easier to use product.

(I have absolutely no background in creating games, but I have worked pretty in-depth with a few pieces of software for music creation and DJing at a professional level, and they've always been more stable and easier to use than Stencyl. I accept that making music and DJing is a lot simpler than making video games, and it may not be a fair comparison to make).

thechaosengine

You are right, it got to be just 2D for now, but I try to see in future, how many years 2D games will be actual, year, two or five.... i thing more and more people will want 3D games. Even if it looks like 2D even if it is pixel art, It got to work smooth it got to have many animations, lighting FX and some more.
How cool when you can make actors animations without sprites, animate it with code.
it looks different.  You can add 60 frames per second, while usually with sprites max is 10 or 15  frames.
in 3D with textures app will be small even with very rich content, and no problems with scale.

If 3D was going to kill of 2D it would've happened like 15 years ago. You have a very odd way of looking at art.

gurigraphics

You are right, it got to be just 2D for now, but I try to see in future, how many years 2D games will be actual, year, two or five.... i thing more and more people will want 3D games.

Okay. But according to this argument, If thinking about the future, think of 4D holographic game.

I think this is not the way to Stencyl. But to Unity, Unreal, Lumberyard, etc.

3D is just another dimension. It's not about performance.

2D will not cease to exist soon. Because 3D is not better, just different and interdependent.
As well as text, audio and video. It has advantages and disadvantages.

3D may become more popular, then after can come 4D. But we can not keep up run with the innovations forever. We have to consider the size of our legs.

If you can and want, fine. But this is choise personal.

Links:
http://creativeleadership.com/2013/09/28/hiroshi-ishii/
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2015/10/27/tractor-beam-acoustic-hologram/#.VtlyGJwrKM9

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 03:40:05 am by gurigraphics »

SquarePug

Personally Ive only been using Stencyl for one year but overall found it great. When you consider it is a 'shortcut' compared to learning coding it is pretty awesome what can be done. Just look at Ghost Song/Super Dangerous Dungeons/Wrassling/Battle Golf/Epic Flail/Spiderling/Battle Slimes/Hue Ball/Mercurial Story (the list goes on, they are just some) it shows what can be done, they speak for themselves! Add on top of that the awesome little bits and bobs that Liberado and Ceosol (+others) do as prototypes and whatnot.

Expectations also have to be kept in check too. Things like online multiplayer working straight out the box is unrealistic. Plus if you watch any developer conferences on YouTube or read any Gamasutra articles you will see the issues and struggles devs go thru, regardless of what program they use. Software is a complex thing after all, I get more issues with Microsoft Windows then with Stencyl!!

Lets look forward to stencyl continually smoothing out bugs and progressing in features over time.  8)
Twitter: @satchapps.

1MrPaul1

My point is not 2D or 3D, or 4 D(that could be amazing! some company already selling holographic screens) i just want to see Stencyl as a big company  that will fast react on all new technologies.

For example. Today Steam market is a top place for indie, Stencyl making fast all that needed for steam games, in the next year market require 4D games, Stencyl rebuild engine for 4D, after 5 years for creating 5D games etc....

Stencyl team got to be big for making changes fast.
Stencyl principles are just great and Jon, Rob, Justin and other Stencyl staff they all are great guys and programmers but....

And why i mentioned that Unity and Unreal became free, soon even more people will start to make games, modes of popular 3D games, and will be harder and harder to survive for game developers.
So we need very good tool to stay in this business.

It is not normal when you are fighting several days or weeks with some bug and than understand that this is just some strange engine bug that in fact you can't to resolve from your side, and you starting to apply patches to make things working and spoiling your game. This is not good.

gurigraphics

I do have a love/hate relationship with Stencyl and there are a few things which are very un-intuitive (making collision polygons, scrolling, having to use extensions for a few things that I think should be in the core programme, some of the unusual copy/paste situations, and overall it's quite unstable compared to the programmes I've used to make music) and I would actually love to pay a little more to see a more stable, easier to use product.
tigerteeth

Lets look forward to stencyl continually smoothing out bugs and progressing in features over time.  8)
SquarePug

And why i mentioned that Unity and Unreal became free, soon even more people will start to make games, modes of popular 3D games, and will be harder and harder to survive for game developers.
1MrPaul1

Scrolling is number two in my list.
Software memory management is three. (Both related to java.)
Game Performance is number one.  (Concern that is natural with the development of any developer. - The Terraria developer (Redigit), for example, used C# and would like to have used (and now learning) C++.  Although that developer is not the same that be only programmer that can specialize in a code language).

« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 05:18:31 am by gurigraphics »

colburt187

Im sorry but this isn't real, it sounds like you think 3D games are better than 2D games. If that is your belief then you should move to a 3D engine. Spelunky, Towerfall, Undertale, Downwell all out performed millions of 3D games, you really need to just focus on the game. A good 2D/3D game will beat a less good 2D/3D game.

What you need to stay in this business is the ability to make games that people enjoy and want to play/spend money on, the tool is irrelevant.

gurigraphics

Im sorry but this isn't real, it sounds like you think 3D games are better than 2D games. If that is your belief then you should move to a 3D engine. Spelunky, Towerfall, Undertale, Downwell all out performed millions of 3D games, you really need to just focus on the game. A good 2D/3D game will beat a less good 2D/3D game.

What you need to stay in this business is the ability to make games that people enjoy and want to play/spend money on, the tool is irrelevant.

2D or 3D is irrelevant. But, the tool is only irrelevant if it supports what you want to do and does it well. Otherwise, it is not irrelevant.

If Engine does not support there are two options: the engine improve, or find another engine.

In 3D case, better look for another engine. In 2D, Stencyl continues to improve.

colburt187

2D or 3D is irrelevant. But, the tool is only irrelevant if it supports what you want to do and does it well. Otherwise, it is not irrelevant.

If Engine does not support there are two options: the engine improve, or find another engine.

In 3D case, better look for another engine. In 2D, Stencyl continues to improve.

I said all you need is the ability to make games, obviously the tool falls under that, If your tool doesn't work then you don't have the ability to make games. Once your game is published the tool is irrelevant.

gurigraphics

I said all you need is the ability to make games, obviously the tool falls under that, If your tool doesn't work then you don't have the ability to make games. Once your game is published the tool is irrelevant.

True. If you can not make good 2D games, imagine then 3D.

Because the main mistakes of developers predate the engine, it has to do with experience and learning.

SadiQ

the tool is only irrelevant if it supports what you want to do and does it well. Otherwise, it is not irrelevant.

You will NEVER find an engine that does ALL the things you need. That is why some people use frameworks  and some people start coding an entire engine from scratch that has all the things they need.

As Colburt said, the most important thing to have is a game that attracts attention. The engine, it's flaws or it's strengths has little to no relevance to the players.
Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

gurigraphics

You will NEVER find an engine that does ALL the things you need. That is why some people use frameworks  and some people start coding an entire engine from scratch that has all the things they need.

True and basic. For this reason I do not have listed all the things I need or like. But only the most relevant for all, in my opinion.

As Colburt said, the most important thing to have is a game that attracts attention. The engine, it's flaws or it's strengths has little to no relevance to the players.

attracts attention is just one element of seduction. But I understand what you mean.