Video: I did a presentation/demo on Stencyl for the local gamedev group

irock

Hey everyone, I did a presentation on Stencyl where I made an action platformer game from scratch in about an hour for the Nashville Game Developers monthly meetup. It was a lot of fun!

You can watch it here

Raiyumi

That's pretty awesome!

ceosol

Aw man, I could have driven up to cheer you on :D

"Its very important we play with the barrels"

~Cory Martin (2016)

ceosol

I do not completely agree with, "coding is definitely faster if you memorized the API".

In one of my games, I did "set a number attribute to (get item number (get item number week+1 from list 1) from list 2". It took me 10-15 seconds to pull out the blocks. It would take me longer than 15 seconds to type the same thing in code:

Code: [Select]
_finishedopponent = asNumber(Engine.engine.getGameAttribute("Loselist")[Std.int(Engine.engine.getGameAttribute("leagueschedule")[Std.int((Engine.engine.getGameAttribute("week") + 1))])]);
Other than that, really great presentation. Don't feel bad about messing a couple things up along the way. You made a pretty great prototype in ~50 minutes - live in front of an audience.

Justin

The code would almost certainly be more succinct if you were typing it by hand. Stencyl often generates more code than you might need for the purpose of avoiding errors and unexpected behavior.

Some of the things that make the generated code longer, like integer casting and the way game attributes are accessed, could easily be replaced by much more terse code.

I'm not saying that you don't have a good argument. Using the blocks can, in many situations, be faster than typing the code. But the specific example you have is only applicable if the code -must- be written exactly as it's generated by Stencyl.

For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 8am and midnight Japan time. (GMT+9)

irock

Right, as Justin said, a lot of Stencyl's generated code isn't necessarily something you'd code yourself.

I'll concede that some things are faster in Design Mode, but some things are also slower. I think overall it's faster to code, especially when you factor in the autocomplete features in whatever text editor you're using.

gurigraphics

I'll concede that some things are faster in Design Mode, but some things are also slower. I think overall it's faster to code, especially when you factor in the autocomplete features in whatever text editor you're using.

This idea could become both methods faster.

https://github.com/Gurigraphics/plurality

tigerteeth

Man, i wish there was a monthly game developer meet up in my city.

colburt187

Good work man, I enjoyed that, even learned some things.

irock

Thanks everyone who've said nice thing (all of you!)

Man, i wish there was a monthly game developer meet up in my city.
Yeah they're great. I've met some really cool people at ours and had a lot of fun. Maybe you could start one :o

tigerteeth

Just to let you know I'm gonna try and do something similar to this pretty soon. I work in a very cool academy and we're always looking for technology themed promo activities. We work with Scratch, Arduino, BQ (which is a big company in Spain) and a few others. I want to make a platformer with one unique element (a switch that makes certain elements appear or disappear).

Was there anything else that you did at the weekend? How old were the atendees?

TheIndieStation

Nice vid!
Currently I have been meetings with my own town's councilwoman to make game development a thing here (the city I live in is trying to become more innovative towards the younger generation), so hopefully I might have some material myself (although it's a busy perspective getting it all translated tho...)

Also, I would have thought you knew much more programming languages as both you and Justin have been throwing the dialog extension together...?

Justin

Irock is on the design board. He also made the website and sometimes writes a little code for the extension. I'd say 99% of the code was written by yours truly (me).

https://github.com/justin-espedal/polydes/graphs/contributors

For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 8am and midnight Japan time. (GMT+9)

TheIndieStation

hehe, and all of the sudden I remember an somewhat angry message saying not to forget his name in te process :v

Speaking of which. I recently tried to install the extension again at somehow it worked again while I dot see any updates...?