Why do my graphics look terrible?

Rainbros

I am using 3.4.0 and seem to having the same problem as here
http://community.stencyl.com/index.php?topic=42861.0
and here
http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,38079.0.html
and here
http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,44901.msg250426.html#msg250426

For example, I have a circle cutout image (768 x 1024) that looks great in Illustrator but when I import it into Stencyl at 4x scale, it looks absolutely horrendous (see attached image). There shouldn't be any of that black shadowy-looking stuff on the inside of the circle.

I've tried playing with antialiasing but it doesn't make much difference.

I notice that none of the other posts were really solved, and we shouldn't have to manually replace all the images when Stencyl is supposed to take care of this for us. Surely others are experiencing this? Will it be fixed?

rob1221

I wouldn't expect this to be fixed until the update to OpenFL 3 (aka OpenFL Next).  Justin mentioned OpenFL Next recently, but it's not something being worked on right now: http://community.stencyl.com/index.php/topic,46795.msg261369.html#msg261369

Using a darker object behind the circle or adding a darker border to the circle can make the problem less obvious and at least look better than it does now.

Rainbros

Is there any progress being made on this? It's pretty unacceptable. And is OpenFL Next usable yet?

Tepastelija

Would indeed be nice to know how progress towards Next is going :)

letmethink

I imagine this is an issue with Stencyl resizing the  images as opposed to Stencyl rendering them (using openfl).
~Letmethink

Rainbros

If this is a Stencyl issue, can somebody work on it? This is just ridiculous. I'm tired of not having crisp images.

rob1221

According to recent posts by Justin, we're waiting for Haxe 3.3 to be released before the transition to OpenFL Next can start.

TheIndieStation

Why am I never having this, even tho I only work on HD games?

rob1221

Do you have bright colors overlapping other bright colors and with antialiasing on?

Rainbros

What does this have to do with OpenFL Next? Is it not an issue with Stencyl resizing the images, as letmethink said?

Max Finch

What does this have to do with OpenFL Next? Is it not an issue with Stencyl resizing the images, as letmethink said?

I would say it's 50/50 -- both an issue with Stencyl resizing and OpenFL. It was a pain in the ass for me when I published Mr Tart on iOS.

What I had to do was go into the stencyl folder > my game > assets > and open and re save each image. It improves it a lot, but there's still some slight issues I'm guessing on OpenFls end.

Justin

Sorry, I tend to skim threads to get a quick idea of the issues, and I always heard people say it's an openfl issue so I figured it would be fine when we update. If Stencyl's image resizing is also a part of the issue I can see about modifying it. If there isn't an issue on the tracker already, could somebody write one with a sample image and current vs desired results?
For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 10am and 10pm Japan time. (GMT+9)

rob1221

I did a quick test with a white circle and the answer is that it is both a resizing problem and an OpenFL problem.  When importing using bilinear or bicubic, an image that has transparent pixels set to black (which seems to be a default for image editors) may cause the other scaled images to have some dark pixels on the border.  It's hard to see with most images but it's very obvious with a white circle due to the shape and bright color.

However, even if you were to replace all the downscaled images with your own, as long as they have transparency set to black, OpenFL will just bring back the dark border pixels assuming you have antialiasing + any scaling mode that stretches the screen.

I didn't find this reported when searching on the issue tracker but I did find a suggestion to Add Lanczos resize method to avoid the ugly moire artifacts in downscaled images

EDIT: After looking some more into this issue I see that it is Stencyl that is changing all transparent pixels to black, including the imported image.  I didn't notice this earlier because I was assuming Stencyl didn't change the imported image at all, but it clearly does.  So if the imported image is fixed, that might also fix the downscaled images, but I don't know.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 04:03:13 pm by rob1221 »

Justin

I think I understand. I'll put together a quick fix that can be conditionally enabled just until we've successfully moved to Openfl 4. The nature of the fix likely means longer saving time to some degree, which is why it'll be temporary and optional.
For Live Support: Join our discord server and ping me @justin.
I'm most often available between 10am and 10pm Japan time. (GMT+9)