Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

What The Ball / Monsters Roll In - Beta Testers needed

iii

My vote is on the the curvy one with its curvy edge collision.
Its more challenging and can be pretty funny to watch someone getting all frustrated trying to get them into the pipe, especially in youtube.
It also looks like it need some skills and the right timing.
Maybe make the edge of the screen(left/right) can bounce back the ball, rather than the ball just goes out of the screen.
Depends on how fast the player slide(pull-push) when the ball is falling at the edge of the curve, can determine how strong the knock to the ball will be. The stronger it is, the faster and further it goes.
This can be one of the skills player can discover themselves while playing, that they can use it to their advantage.

Perhaps for the collision, not really a perfect curve, but a mix of 80-90% curve, and just a small flat part in the mid area.
To make it easier to hit or push the ball. But the looks can remain a perfect curve.

Personally, the sharp edge one looks too easy, can get kinda boring after awhile.
Not really that fun to watch, feels pretty plain and mechanical.

Some ideas :
Maybe change the ball to a creature that looks like a ball. With eyes and mouth.
Make it change facial expression depends on situation and player action.
Maybe make the creature scream out funny sounds when hit, about to fall, or falling.
It can be pretty hilarious.

Anyway, its a great start.

Bhoopalan

First of all, thanks for the very detailed and nice feedback, iii.

Maybe make the edge of the screen(left/right) can bounce back the ball, rather than the ball just goes out of the screen.
Depends on how fast the player slide(pull-push) when the ball is falling at the edge of the curve, can determine how strong the knock to the ball will be. The stronger it is, the faster and further it goes.

Hey that's a nice new addition. I'll check how it works.

Maybe change the ball to a creature that looks like a ball. With eyes and mouth.
Make it change facial expression depends on situation and player action.
Maybe make the creature scream out funny sounds when hit, about to fall, or falling.
It can be pretty hilarious.

Hey, that's exactly what I've planned for and working on. The theme is based on monsters:

Just four type of monsters that are done as of now:

If I helped you at anytime, help me back build my twitter followers :)
https://twitter.com/imbhoopalan

colburt187

Normally I'm not a fan of themes, but I really like the look of this art style. I also like the idea of the balls bouncing of the sides of the screen, worth testing at least.

Bhoopalan

I'm myself isn't a fan of themes but the artist convinced me and asked him to give a try. The final product felt good. So I'm planning to go with that.

The other advantage in going with a theme is that we could include multiple unlockable actors.

New screenshot

colburt187

Looks nice, but the stretch to fit will have to go, can't be stretching nice art work.

Bhoopalan

I'll concentrate on that. :)

I have a doubt. Few testers said they've sent feedback via testflight app. However, I can't see any feedback in my email address. Will I be able to see the feedback anywhere else?

ceosol

Looks nice, but the stretch to fit will have to go, can't be stretching nice art work.

Could you stretch to fit and then recalculate the "grow%" of actors based on the device? I've used that before and it still looks nice.

Bhoopalan

Could you stretch to fit and then recalculate the "grow%" of actors based on the device? I've used that before and it still looks nice.

Not sure how to calculate each model's dimension. We may find the device resolution using 'running on' block, but that's available only for iOS. In order to fix the issue for android also, we will need some other way, isn't it?

Colburt has given a feedback on that. Right now I'm unable to do it. I'll try to implement the idea in 2 or 3 builds.

Ceosol also has given a very valuable personal feedback and thank you so much for it. I'm onto that.

Bhoopalan

I've designed myself two game icons. I feel the second icon is better expressive than the first. However, the first may explain the game concept in an instance.

Not yet checked with the graphics artist though.

rob1221

I like the second one more, but I think something in between those two icons would look better.

ceosol

Second icon here also. The first one would be too small on screens to tell what it is.

Not sure how to calculate each model's dimension. We may find the device resolution using 'running on' block, but that's available only for iOS. In order to fix the issue for android also, we will need some other way, isn't it?

Yes, it would only work for stretching ios. But at least you would have one of the markets able to go full screen.

colburt187

How are you importing the art? doest quite feel as sharp as it should, seems slightly out of focus and bumpy around the edges. did you get the art at 4x and then import with the 4x setting?

Is the stretch to fit still on? On the iPad mini the art is sharp but on the iPhone 6 its out of focus.

Im not an artist but I've never been a fan of these out of focus backgrounds, But I know thats what artists normal do in these situations.

I don't like the balls over lapping at the top, maybe reduce it to 3, don't think there is any advantage to seeing what is coming in 4 ball time. The green tube on the right of the screen is slightly off the screen on my iPhone 6.

The screenshake is a bit to heavy.

I like the icon, game is moving in the right direction for sure.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:52:58 pm by colburt187 »

Bhoopalan

Thanks, Ceosol, Rob & Colburt on icon. Second one was my preference as well.

How are you importing the art? doest quite feel as sharp as it should, seems slightly out of focus and bumpy around the edges. did you get the art at 4x and then import with the 4x setting?

Is the stretch to fit still on? On the iPad mini the art is sharp but on the iPhone 6 its out of focus.

I import all graphics at 4x. It should be the 'stretch to fit'. Actually, the graphics artist left blank region in the background considering that the region would be covered by the green table. Scale to fit would expose the blank region. I've asked him to do some work there. Once he finishes that, I'll switch from 'stretch to fit' to 'scale to fit'.

Im not an artist but I've never been a fan of these out of focus backgrounds, But I know thats what artists normal do in these situations.

I kinda feel like the blurry background helps avoid distracting the player's eyes and concentrate on the monster alone.

I don't like the balls over lapping at the top, maybe reduce it to 3, don't think there is any advantage to seeing what is coming in 4 ball time. The green tube on the right of the screen is slightly off the screen on my iPhone 6.

That's right. Three balls would do. I'll do that.

The screenshake is a bit to heavy.

Shakescreen was for 0.2 seconds with just 3 %. I'm trying half of it (0.2 seconds with 1.5% intensity).

I like the icon, game is moving in the right direction for sure.

Thank you. Your initial unofficial Apple feature probability was 0/10. Can you score now so that I get a better picture? Just curious ;)

Bhoopalan

Uploaded a new trailer with the new graphics.

=> Color shift - After a few seconds, the pipes would start to move in equal interval of time.

I tried to implement moving pipes for a whole day yesterday but it doesn't work as I expect. When a pipe moves from left to right, the 4th pipe gets killed and a new pipe with the same color is created at the left side of the pipe (out of screen). In case ball hits the pipe when the pipe is created, the pipe throws itself to the top of the screen. Not sure how this could be fixed. Looking for a workaround.

colburt187

Colburts unofficial Apple feature rating 2/10 (Currently not yet in a state that may get featured)

It has definitely moved forward and is going in the right direction. The consistency of the overall experience is important. Currently I feel the art style needs a lot of work, and depending on how that goes could really change the finished product, So its hard to judge now in such an early state.

The gameplay has moved forward as well, the controls feel good. I still feel the curve and ball behave quite strange at times, especially pushing the balls with the curve, it feels like they are stuck to it with a magnet, are the edges properly flat?