What The Ball / Monsters Roll In - Beta Testers needed

mdotedot

The video is good but a bit long. I like the gray-ball that you have to avoid getting in the pipes.
I get the feeling that you as a player gets a lot of control which is good and I want to try it out for myself which is better :D

How do you make that collision shape with the half-circle? It looks smooooooth

Hanging out in the Chat:  http://www.stencyl.com/chat/

Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

riki82

I tested the game, the latest graphics looks nice...
while I was playing it happened that the ball gets stuck in the wheel.

Bhoopalan

The video is good but a bit long. I like the gray-ball that you have to avoid getting in the pipes.
I get the feeling that you as a player gets a lot of control which is good and I want to try it out for myself which is better :D

Thanks for the appreciation. You're most welcome to beta test and help me :)

How do you make that collision shape with the half-circle? It looks smooooooth

The collision isn't a single shape but a combination of 14 polygon collisions. I took the curve's outline as guide and drew multiple polygons around it to design the collision for the curve.

I tested the game, the latest graphics looks nice...
while I was playing it happened that the ball gets stuck in the wheel.

That's one another problem I'm not sure how to deal with. The actors are already set 'No' to Enable continuous collision'. But it still reacts odd.

All 5 monsters (previously 'Balls') and the curve are set 'No' for enable continuous collision. Not sure what else I can do.
If I helped you at anytime, help me back build my twitter followers :)
https://twitter.com/imbhoopalan

colburt187

I think you want yes for continuous collisions don't you? That makes the collisions more reliable?

Bhoopalan

Currently I feel the art style needs a lot of work

When I first posted the new theme, you agreed that it looks nice. May I know why do you feel it needs lot of work? Do you refer to the fact that the art style is seen only in game mechanism and not in other scenes like 'Settings', 'home' page? Or do you mean that you haven't seen any other unlockable assets yet?

The gameplay has moved forward as well, the controls feel good. I still feel the curve and ball behave quite strange at times, especially pushing the balls with the curve, it feels like they are stuck to it with a magnet, are the edges properly flat?

The edges are perfectly flat. Ceosol suggested a momentum needs to be added when the edge hits the ball. He also painstakingly shared a detailed formula. I'll check if that solves this issue.

Right now, I'm so confused with the way the 'moving pipes' work. I can't make it to move properly. As I told above, if the ball hits the area where the pipe is created (outside the screen), then the pipe is thrown to 0,0 position. Found the problem but not a solution yet.

I think you want yes for continuous collisions don't you? That makes the collisions more reliable?

Is it 'Yes' that gives natural physics? Then I think I misunderstood. I'll check that as well.

Bouncing off the wall was a very nice feature suggested. Unfortunately, I feel like it doesn't make the game funnier. (I've implemented and tested it). Since we can't make the monster to bounce too far when it bounces off the screen, it can just fall into the corner pipes or next to corner pipes. But if bouncing off the wall isn't available, that would make the game more challenging - The player may drop many balls outside the wall and it won't fall into the pipe.

ceosol

Moving pipes:

Set the animation names to 0, 1, 2 and 3.

When create
set pipelist to create new list

Use a trigger pipe switching event:
empty pipelist
repeat 4 times
    insert (current loop count) at # (random number between 0 and number of items in pipelist) to pipelist
do after .05 seconds
    repeat 4 times
        for each actor of type pipe
            if current animation for actor of type = get item number current loop count from pipelist
                set x to (current loop count x 100) for actor of type

colburt187

Yeah I mean the overall style of the app, how does the title screen look, how well will the buttons and font fit with the theme. As I mentioned the art is a bit out of focus on the iPhone 6 and I feel the details on the characters may be a bit small for an iPhone screen. for example the 3 eyed character has 3 little spikes on his head, on iPad i can make this out, on iPhone it is almost invisible, I can imagine on an iPhone 4 or 5 it will be invisible altogether. The nose details on the pink and the mouth on the orange are also very small on iPhone screen, i think you would have to hold the screen close to see those details on iPhone 4/5.

Im not a fan of the background, I feel there is too much detail, I also think the perspectives of the tables are off, the table on the left is at a strange angle in reference to the wall and the 2 legs appear to be the same  length which is not correct from the angle we are looking at it. The table on the right doest feel like it is the same perspective as the other table, but it does feel like we should be able to see the legs at the back from this angle and they are missing. The large shape on the back right is unrecognisable. It feels very unfinished in general. Personally I would remove everything from the background apart from the 2 shades of green diamond shape wall paper, I would cover the entire background with that. However I would be interested to hear the opinion from any artists here.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 12:39:06 pm by colburt187 »

iii

I wouldn't call myself an artist, but I do some small paid art projects every now and then.
But, here's my take on the background.

The angle is off. Its pretty much an impossible angle.
Unless the floor is a bit slanted.
If its me, I'll populate the background with pipes instead.
Maybe a continuation from the 4 colored pipe.
This will make the overall much more focus, and feels like its from the same area.

Right now, the room with tables, shelves, wallpaper, just doesn't make sense to me.
It doesn't look like its related to the main theme, the pipe and the creature.
Everything is all over the place.

Just my 2 cents.

Bhoopalan

Well my designer has already started working on the 2nd theme since I agreed that this theme looks good. Now it would be a bit difficult to tell him that the background needs re-working ;) I'll let him complete the 2nd theme and then rework this.

colburt187

When you showed the art, I thought that was a work in progress. Im not sure you should go to big with the themes, I would pick one theme and polish it until it is at a high standard. You still have the menus/title screen/tutorial to get the art for. I would recommend getting the whole flow of the game complete with a solid polished art style first. Then once that is done you can decide if you want to add more themes.

ceosol

I agree with colburt. Having one fantastic looking theme is much better than multiple sub-par themes.

Bhoopalan

I agree with both of you.

I just wanted to know how the theme would suit the main game mechanism. My designer would design different buttons so it suits all themes. The first theme idea was from me and he may not have been convenient, the second theme is his area of expertise - Ancient looking theme. So I thought I should let him finish it before asking about re-working first theme.

Here's a mockup for the second theme:

I think I can keep the first theme as WIP and start concentrating more on second theme. It looks much better and those angles are all intact? Any feedback on this theme would be very much appreciated.

Colburt, I do understand that blurry background isn't something you like. But it kinda feels good in this theme I believe.

mdotedot

How I love these journals!
Getting great insight in the development phases.

There has been valuable feedback from different people already and here is my take:

* There is a lot of 'none-information' below the screen. The table on the 2nd and the 'pipe' mechanism on the 1st.
* I would rotate the scene so that the tubes have a bit of air. Don't put tubes spot on the edges
* Without playing I wouldn't know if the background would annoy the player
* Themes: would really make a difference when in some kind of story. Where the tubes come together and end up with the new single tube at the top on the next theme/scene. Make animation-scene to transition from the previous scene to the next.

But indeed: better have one perfect screen for the whole game than 10 'good' ones.

Hanging out in the Chat:  http://www.stencyl.com/chat/

Proud member of the League of Idiotic Stencylers! Doing things in Stencyl that probably shouldn't be done.

colburt187

I do think this theme is an improvement, I can see the setting being a wizards room and he uses this machine to sort the quibble balls that he finds in the enchanted forest XD

The background is better here, focus on this art style and perfect it. I think the wooden thing at the front holding the pipes is a bit too basic. Also test all art on iPhones, especially the iPhone 5. I think the details on the balls are too small and subtle to be visible on those screens. In this mock up I would expect the mouth, teeth and horns of this ball character to be almost invisible on the smaller screens.

Bhoopalan

* There is a lot of 'none-information' below the screen. The table on the 2nd and the 'pipe' mechanism on the 1st.

Sorry. I don't understand what's the none-information. Do you mean that the table on the 2nd theme is too basic?

* I would rotate the scene so that the tubes have a bit of air. Don't put tubes spot on the edges

Could you explain a bit more about the 'rotation'? Do you mean that the game could be landscape instead of portrait?

* Without playing I wouldn't know if the background would annoy the player

That's right. But beta testers till date haven't mentioned anything like the new theme distracts the gameplay. I felt the same as well ;)

I can see the setting being a wizards room and he uses this machine to sort the quibble balls that he finds in the enchanted forest XD

Haha.. You're right.

Also test all art on iPhones, especially the iPhone 5. I think the details on the balls are too small and subtle to be visible on those screens. In this mock up I would expect the mouth, teeth and horns of this ball character to be almost invisible on the smaller screens.

That's correct. I own 5s and it's pretty hard to notice the details. But neither the balls can be made bigger nor the parts of the monsters face can be made bigger or pop out of the monster's face. So I believe it just can't be helped.