Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Climbing Mt. Everest in sneakers and shorts: My attempt at going pro

ceosol

I'm back from the convention. So what day time were you guys thinking of? What about something like Saturday at 3pm GMT?  That would be 8am for PST people and 11pm for Philippines. If someone else has a suggestion, I can do any time as long as I have prior notice.

squeeb

@squeeb

Interesting because you seem to have a very profound understanding of Stencyl already.
I would probably use Unity for 2D though.
Im getting there :) haha.  i mostly meant that if i cant push the limits of stencyl past what my games need to be, theres no reason to leave.  Theres another learning curve in how to use new software... ie Unity..   Also with learning  extensions now, i can code whatever i want and get it into IOS and Android, like a universal compiler instead of using android studio and something else for ios..

KramerGames

I'm back from the convention. So what day time were you guys thinking of? What about something like Saturday at 3pm GMT?  That would be 8am for PST people and 11pm for Philippines. If someone else has a suggestion, I can do any time as long as I have prior notice.

Still waiting for my headset from amazon...I should be ready to go next week.
Parasites United  (Idle Parasite Game)

KramerGames

It's been 30 days now since I started working on my next game, a number that is making me a bit nervous. I'm only about halfway done and hence the stakes will be bigger than I wanted them to be. I've taken some countermeasures, which is applying for a part time job and taking driving lessons (which will enable me to get a job fairly easy in a few weeks/months).

My next game combines my passion for cooking, my growing interest in gardening and my love for nature: It's about managing a tribe of cannibals and help them to get rid of the tourists that are destroying the island. It originally started out as a tower defense game where you have to craft your weapons/ammo, though by now the tower defense part isn't in the game anymore. Instead the player will be presented with a side view of various trees on which huts can be built, and some space for farms on the ground. One of the core elements of the game is assembling groups that are sent towards missions, such as gathering rare ingredients or capturing tourists which can be butchered directly or put in prison and fed. As gruesome as it sounds, the game will feature no visual violence. I'm rather hoping to create some humor through the absurd contrast by making things look innocent and colorful.

As for the graphics, I have decided to go with colored pencils. About two weeks ago I discovered about a 100 or so in the attic, and unlike watercolors, I can use cheap printing paper.
I enjoy real drawings so much more than digital and since I decided to take things slower anyway (that job thing), I'm going in the direction I want to go, even though it means more work now. From a purely aesthetic perspective, it will be worse, but here are my arguments:

- I'm fairly certain that in the long run I can unleash a lot more creativity going with real drawings/paintings
- it adds to the contrast of killing, butchering, baking and eating people on one hand and childlike drawings on the other hand
- I keep hearing a lot that you should try to make a game that is unique, and using real drawings/paintings is something that differentiates me from 99.9% of other games. I'm not saying that this will make a difference yet, but it is going in that direction.

Here are some attempts of drawing and scanning colored pencil drawings, none of this will be used though. I will be using Gimp to mix images, the tree for example will have stuff growing around it and at the bottom, but I will draw those individually and paste them in.

squeeb

Man.. I really like this one!  Love that tree!  Go this rout with the art...  the guys almost look like cave art.. Great game concept as well!  Id play this one on my phone.. Let me know if I can help out at all

decafpanda

Sounds cool!  Any gameplay footage?

yoplalala

It's about managing a tribe of cannibals and help them to get rid of the tourists that are destroying the island.

I think you have great ideas for stories, like your Parasite game.

KramerGames

Thanks guys!

No footage so far, I've only just started with the graphics and still have to work on some of the mechanics. Currently I'm using placeholders I've copied from a Disney movie, so posting that would not be a good idea :-) .