Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Climbing Mt. Everest in sneakers and shorts: My attempt at going pro

KramerGames

I have another "reality problem" where I could really need some input: The game is probably going to consist of 8 levels, and since I want the player to rebuild everything under different circumstances, the location of the cannibal village changes (in terms of story). However, it doesn't change graphic wise, since I am not going to draw 8 different backgrounds and a total of 40 trees...    I could change the foreground a bit, placing some different plants and flowers, but I want to use the same trees. How bad do you think this looks? Will players even notice?

@ceosol: I totally agree, but I just can't help it. This game was originally intended to be a one-level-game, but since I got quite far I figured why not keep going. I think I can still finish this project within 3 months, so that wouldn't be too bad. I am considering making an endless runner as a spin-off to this game, a tourist running away from cannibals. In that case I could even reuse the graphics and probably wrap this game up within a few weeks. And make up for having a project that was too big :-)

« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 08:36:21 am by KramerGames »
Parasites United  (Idle Parasite Game)

squeeb

Everybody keeps giving you the same advice of "big project of a game you want to play" and such. I cannot stress enough that a beginning indie should focus on simple and short concepts. Once you get some revenue by either selling the games, doing some contract work or getting lucky with some ad revenue, then you can try some of your own personal projects.
I agree, ive been told that a lot also :p thats why i am trying the 1 month to publish a game.. think of something i an make and publish in one month.. see if i can make a little revenue.  then move on to my bigger ideas

ceosol

I have another "reality problem" where I could really need some input: The game is probably going to consist of 8 levels, and since I want the player to rebuild everything under different circumstances, the location of the cannibal village changes (in terms of story). However, it doesn't change graphic wise, since I am not going to draw 8 different backgrounds and a total of 40 trees...    I could change the foreground a bit, placing some different plants and flowers, but I want to use the same trees. How bad do you think this looks? Will players even notice?

Can you make it procedurally generated with the trees, bushes and ground all as separate elements? When the procedural generation occurs, you could use all of the same elements, but they organize into thousands of combinations.

KramerGames

What a great way to approach this, I never would have come up with it. I recently listened to an episode of the Game Design Dojo podcast about procedural level design, but kinda put it aside as something that doesn't concern me right now. I didn't think about using it for the background, this opens up a lot of new possibilities. I'll have to do some testing and playing around since the graphics weren't made with that in mind.
Thanks a lot!

KramerGames

After a bit more than a year I have decided to close the Stencyl chapter of my journey and move over to Unity. I have been trying to learn it for about a month now which at first was one big pile of frustration. I considered moving back to Stencyl a few times, but I'm getting the hang of using Unity and to be honest the decision is not a close one anymore. Stencyl was great to get my feet wet and I will always recommend it to people who are new to programming.

I'd like to thank everyone in this community which has been so helpful and friendly that it even restored my faith in internet forums, on which I had given up. Out the thousands of posts I've read in the past year, maybe 3 or 4 were rude, the rest included useful information, a percentage that is near impossible to find on the internet.
I will still be around here and see what people are working on, try to give some feedback etc., meanwhile I will continue to blog here: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/my-unity-journey-from-idle-to-strategy-games.479675/#post-3143340

Thank you all very much for the constant encouragement, the honest and helpful critique and all the technical advice I have received here! 

domagojbulat

So that is where you disappeared these days, learning Unity and what not... I am always happy to read about your adventures and will probably keep on following your future posts as well. Wish you the best of luck!

detted

Glad to hear you are still at it. Sad that you are leaving Stencyl. But I understand,  I myself have actually also started learning programming. But I'm using the Godot game engine, which is growing on me and I have to say, with the help of Stencyl, the logic and the code is so much easier to understand and learn. Like you I would also recommend Stencyl for people starting out. Good luck and I will be following your adventure on the Unity site :)
Composer • Sound designer • Producer
www.tedwennerstrom.com
@TedWennerstrm

TheIndieStation

It's sad to see you go man, but Unity is a great new adventure!
Good luck, and we might find each other on those forums in a while ;)