Stencyl 3.4.0 is now out. Get it now!

Climbing Mt. Everest in sneakers and shorts: My attempt at going pro

ceosol

I think this game better than the rat shooter. A couple notes: 1. The music seems to stop after a minute. 2. It was a little confusing to figure out what was going on.  Maybe have a quick little note in the beginning to tell people to click on the pictures to find out more information.

KramerGames

right, LOOP music....thanks! I was close to not publish the game at all, but then I figured it's good to make mistakes now and not when it matters.
Parasites United  (Idle Parasite Game)

domagojbulat

Very nice! I like it so much better that the Rat shooter.
I am rooting for you and I am happy you continued with designing games!

trl0731

Hey KramerGames! I just read your entire development log and am currently playing the fish game! I truly enjoy it! I think with more explanation and maybe something to help the player feel like they have made progress the game could become something quite nice! I truly admire your daring journey and wish you all the best!
A college student running a small, five-person game development studio. Check out our antics on our website!
Check out our latest game, Pocket Change!
Email me: thomas.liffick@prodigygames.org

KramerGames

As always, christmas came quickly and was busier than expected, hence I didn't find much time to work on my game. Anyhow, it is finished now and live on kongregate and google play. It is another idle game, this time with parasites and I added a map and enemies (bloodcells) that have to be conquered. Unlike other idle games, attacking has a cost and therefore a loss can be painful.
I have to admit that if this game fails, I will be crushed, simple as that. Not that the game is that awesome, but if it does as poorly as my first one, it means that my plan to make idle games and build up to real strategy games is another dead end. I'm praying that this will be the game that gets me past the 100$ profit barrier and closer to my dream of making a living with it, even 50$ would be a success for me. So hopefuly it won't get me close to working as night auditor in a hotel again.

My fishing game did quite okay btw, it got 10k plays on kongregate and newgrounds combined, though almost no downloads on Google Play. Ive learned a few lessons here:

- People really like idle games
- People still play my game despite a poor rating (no idea how they get there)
- That doesn't mean they download in on Android
- King of the Ocean is among the worst titles you can choose for a game. Next to being uncreative, it is very generic. It took two weeks for my game to show up in the first 100+ search results (when entering the exact name).

Future plans: Regardless of the outcome of this game, I'll make another one. This time I'm trying to step down a bit because Parasites United got a bit out of hand. I was getting sick of it yesterday and I am glad I don't have to go beyond that point.
My uncle is currently visiting and staying at my grandparents house. He's a painter and I'll take that opportunity to stay there for a month as well and learn some techniques. I am planning to do a game with handdrawn graphics soon.

And the game link of course, nice ratings are appreciated :-)

http://www.kongregate.com/games/BambooHutGames/parasites-united

squeeb

checking out your game now, maybe with the game description in google play, be more descriptive.  The more words you use to describe your game the more itll show up in searches. 

ceosol

Using the same archetype for the game is a smart play. It allows you to get a few games published in your portfolio at a quicker pace than the original rat shooter and garden defender games.

You could make some Christmas, Valentine's Day, St. Patricks Day, and Easter themed ones if you want to try to hit the holiday crowd.

KramerGames

@squeeb:

Thanks, I'll add more. Those SEO/ASO things is what I like the least about making games...

@ceosol: I'm not really a fan of holiday themed games unless it's done very creatively. Anyhow, there are tons of themes I could use for idle games. I have cut off various mechanics for Parasites United, with the hope of using them in a sequel. It doesn't look good though, playnumbers aren't picking up. Like taking your kid out for it's first swim in the ocean and watching it slowly drown...

ceosol

I'm praying that this will be the game that gets me past the 100$ profit barrier and closer to my dream of making a living with it, even 50$ would be a success for me. So hopefuly it won't get me close to working as night auditor in a hotel again.

This is the whole thing. You NEED to make some money in order to continue making games. If you are passionate about making games, then do whatever you have to do to survive the rough times.  If that means making some holiday games in order to fund making the games you really want, then do it. Do you think I want to do contract work forever? Hell no. I do it because it lets me be an indie developer for another day.

KramerGames

My point was rather that instead of making a holiday themed game I'd choose another theme, or is a holiday theme a much bigger boost? On the top of my head I can only think of one game where I played the original and a christmas version (Into Space on kongregate).

ceosol

I am playing spooky coin dozer on my ipad. I tried their Game Circus's other 10 themed dozer games and the halloween theme is the most enjoyable. I think a Christmas (or other holiday) themed idle game would have more interest than a theme that most people will not have heard of. Some people would download it just because of the theme.

Do what you think is best in the end. I'm just throwing out ideas to help.

thechaosengine

Holiday-themed games and updates can cause a boost, but for now I'd focus on just getting better at making games instead.

Also you should know that even for successful mobile devs, Android generally doesn't perform well- I'm p sure 95% of my revenue comes from iOS. I wouldn't look at Android downloads as a measure of success. Heck, even the Crossy Road guys said they didn't think Android would've been worth releasing on if they didn't already have a hit on iOS.

KramerGames

I've read about all the money being on iOS quite often here, it's just that it costs 100$ and I'd have to virtually rent a mac. I want to see first that I can get people to install my game on android to see if I can get them to install on mobile. Just a wild guess but I think the numbers would be somewhat similar?

thechaosengine

No, they're not very similar at all for a bunch of reasons, including but not limited to: Piracy is rampant on Android, Google has a different feature system from Apple that hardly anyone has figured out, Stencyl makes it nigh impossible to do well on android due to unsupported functionality Google wants to see, the revenue on android is generally way lower than on iOS, etc etc.

Still doesn't mean it's a BAD thing to release on Android to see what happens, but you're not going to get much out of it and if you're interested in mobile game development, you really should focus on iOS. I know it sucks because there's a lot more costs involved there than on android, but... well shit, that's just how it is.

KramerGames

Thanks, a lot of new information for me. I guess I eventually have to pay the ~125$ it wolud take me to release on iOS and accept the chance of loosing pretty much that amount. With my money being rather tight right now, I'm gonna wait and make more games.